5.0 out of 5 stars more please!
This is the best thing I've read in years, and I've practically got shares in Amazon!
It's surprised me because I don't usually like short stories. I find them somehow unsatisfying, but having read everything else Joanne Harris has published, I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm delighted I did.
Chocolat is in my top 5 books AND films, and I've enjoyed Harris'...
Published on 21 Mar 2005 by Kay Bee

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisting Tails
Some of the stories are quite good and some amusing but it lacks the punch of Joanna Harris's novels. I loved Chocolat and Blackberry Wine and I feel that is where her strengths lie. Worth a read but not a second time.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs. Hilary Hilton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars more please!, 21 Mar 2005
Kay Bee (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Paperback)
Chocolat is in my top 5 books AND films, and I've enjoyed Harris' other books to a lesser degree, but this collection of - often dark - short stories feels like it was written FOR ME somehow. Whether it's fantasy, dark social comment or little windows on the everyday worlds of apparently average people (no such thing in Joanne Harris' world, thank the gods), there isn't a story in this book which fails to bring it's characters to life, and to me seems to be her greatest strength. Many of the themes here are escapist, but the people are real. You've met them at school, work, walking down the street. But Joanne Harris has peered into their lives and found their humanity and it's this that makes the romantic, fantastic themes of her stories so real and gripping.
More please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bewitching stories!, 21 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Hardcover)
As far as I'm concerned, Joanne Harris can do no wrong, even in spite of the slight glitch that was "Coastliners". I love short stories, and this collection is like being given a box of your favourite chocolates all to yourself.
I appreciated the introductions to some of the tales as a glimpse into a writer's life, and thought each one was well worth the read, building up into a very attractive collection and one I would thoroughly recommend. Not quite as stunning as "Five Quarters of the Orange" (for me, Harris' best work so far), but well on the way there!
Roll on her next work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Join in the dance, 30 Mar 2005
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Paperback)
I have never read a Joanne Haris book before, as I haven't thought of her as 'my sort of author'. But, one Saturday, I found myself shopping and desperately looking for something new to read. I spotted Jigs & Reels on the shelf. The title caught my eye, and I liked what I read on the back. 48hours later, I had finished one of the most hilarious books I have read in ages.
Joanne's short stories feature suburban witches, a suicidal statistician, a cook-book harbouring more than just recipies, and a sinister warning for authors who leave their stories unfinished.
I would thoroughly recomend this book to anyone who wants something to dip-in-to, or an all-in-one-go read. I actually kept it in the bathroom, as this was the best place for 5 and 10 minute reading breaks!
It has also inspired me to finally get to work on some of my own short stories.
I've only given this book 4 stars, for the simple reason that I have none of her other work to compare it with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought, 14 Sep 2006
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Paperback)
Joanne Harris has a talent for turning the usual into the unusual as can be seen from this collection of short stories. Harris writes about love, hate, envy, fear, jealousy and other emotions we all feel at some times in our lives in a touching, funny, sad and even sinister way.

Harris is an observer of human beings and touchingly translates this into her writing. 'Breakfast at Tesco's' and 'Al and Christine's world of Leather' are an example of Harris' understanding of the way people behave towards one another.

Be prepared though, Harris can lure the reader into a story of everyday events, twist it ever so slightly and leave you feelingly shocked and even disturbed as in 'Waiting for Gandalf'.

I throughly enjoyed these short stories and would recommend them to fans of Joannes Harris and to those first coming to her writing. As with her other books, these stories leave one with a feeling of having read something lyrical, poetical and meaningful while having been entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aha! Back to and Beyond Her Original Talent, 7 April 2004
G. L. Smerdon (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Hardcover)
Having read all of Joanna Harris's books and having enjoyed "Chocolat" to "Three Quarters of the Orange" while despairing at "Coastliners" and "Holy Fools", I ordered "Jigs and Reels" dubiously - and only because I am a great lover of the short story. I was certainly not disappointed this time.
Gone are the cardboard figures meant to be taken seriously and plots verging on the ridiculous. Here there is a collection of remarkably diverse stories - in content as well as style: wry, uproarious, satirical, strange, sad. I found especially effective the portrayal of people declining into old age and the opening story "Faith and Hope Go Shopping" had me hooked.
These are not just twist-in-the tale pieces: each is unique, a little gem, the test being that one wants to read them again, not forget them once any surprise has been reached. They are not comparable, as a collection, to the work of anyone else - and even individual stories which may be reminiscent of Saki or Bradbury or Gordimer or Munro are entirely the new Harris I regard with the highest respect.
However, I have two quibbles: only five of the twenty-two pieces avoid the first-person narrative and the short personal authorial introductions are unnecessary.
Whether you have previously liked Harris's work or not, try this anthology, especially if the short story, such a difficult genre, attracts you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 21 Aug 2005
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Hardcover)
This is what stands on the cover of the book:
"Suburban witches, defiant old ladies, ageing monsters, suicidal Lottery winners, wolf men, dolphin women and middle-aged manufacturers of erotic leatherwear. In these twenty-two short stories from the author of HOLY FOOLS and FIVE QUARTERS OF THE ORANGE, the miraculous goes hand-in-hand with the mundane, the sour with the sweet, and the beautiful, the grotesque, the seductive and the disturbing are never more than one step away.
JIGS & REELS is Joanne Harris' first collection of short stories. As she says in her Foreword, a good short story can startle, ignite, and illuminate... giving you vivid, anarchic glimpses into different world, different people. Here, she proves she is as good as her word by creating an eclectic selection of tales for our times that will delight, surprise, entertain and horrify in equal measure. Sly, funny, sometimes provocative but always personal, JIGS & REELS shows a side to Joanne Harris you have never seen before. So go on, be tempted. After all, it's only dancing. "
and I couldn't describe the book better my self. It is differnt Joanne Harris indeed. She mixes the the normal modern world with all kinds of unlikely/unusual things/events. JH really is one of the best writers I know. I mean, usually I don't even like shortstories. I only started reading Jigs & Reels because it was Joanne Harris, wonderful Joanne Harris. And I was very positively surprised. I really enjoyed every single one of JH's stories! And she can really provoke thought on the subjects she writes about. Many of these stories I will never forget. I write about all of them here, not even about all the very brilliant ones. But I think the first story "Faith and Hope go shopping" is the most worthy example. It's about two old women that run away from an old people's home to go to London to find a pair of read shoes Faith has dreamed about for a long time. The point is that thay are still people like any of us "young people" and they want to do things just like we do, and they have minds of their own. That's really something to think about. I think it gets to me so strongly, because I myself have experience of old people's homes and the people there. Sometimes it's really just the bodies that have failed the people there (and not the minds/brains), which u ought to remember... And that was just one example of a story...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jigs and Reels (review by Judy), 13 Dec 2007
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Hardcover)
I'm a tweelve year old who loves reading and when I read this book it brought another level to it. It's all you want when your reading a book.

The short stories range from romance, friendship, school and many many more every day topics. With a compelling twist at each end what more could you ask for.

Joanne Harris you are officially my fav writter!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, 22 Jan 2006
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Paperback)
I have read chocolat and although i have all of her books i haven't actually got around to reading them. However, I read a story from Jigs and Reels every day on the way to work and for the majority of the stories i enjoyed them. Which girl wouldn't see a part of themselves in the first story ? An old woman wanting her dream pair of shoes. I found the book funny, thoughtful and an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Joanne Harris, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book of short stories. I am a huge fan of Joanne Harris and these short stories were equally as entertaining as her regular books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stories, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Kindle Edition)
Varied, surprising, interesting and well-written, and thoroughly recommended to those who delight in short stories, from a well-known and respected author

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jigs & Reels
Jigs & Reels by Joanne Harris (Paperback - 1 Mar 2005)
5.59