4.0 out of 5 stars House with a View

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one I'll read again
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by Mr. J. F. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars House with a View, 8 Feb 2005
J. Scott-mandeville "jackie veronica" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
Miranda Innes found that the house she wanted was named Casa Miranda, which means House with a View. This serendipitous coincidence confirmed and justified her decision to buy a ruined farmhouse in the hills above Malaga. Her account of settling in Spain is highly personal, with a welter of family detail and her own frustrations and hopes, but she leavens all the problems with style, humour, enthusiasm, and a lucky facility with similes. The inclusion of her own, her sons' and her new man's personal issues make this tale on the familiar theme of exchanging the urban jungle for a place in the sun just that little bit different. Miranda's story is dominated less by endless fracas with the builders, or lyrical waxings on the Spanish way of life, than with coping with the everyday vicissitudes of a woman's life. The flow of words ramble entertainingly in all directions, but never lose sight of the goals of telling a good story. You could almost be reading a Joanna Trollope novel, but this is about real people with real problems and dreams and how the two can be worked out alongside each other.
Each chapter finishes with a mouth-watering recipe, contributed by various members of her family and friends. The area she has chosen to live in is idyllic; marvellous landscape, ancient roots, beautiful flowers (and Miranda Innes knows her plants), good neighbours whether Spanish, British, or, in one case, an eccentric Italian/Slovakian couple, and the wonderful over-riding sunshine which makes difficulties just so much more bearable.
Miranda Innes planned this book as a catharsis and transition from the world of deadlines and office politics into a more relaxed approach to writing and thereby, life itself. Despite the pressures of rebuilding the cortijo, the vagaries of partner and sons, she emerges resolute and whole, and in doing so, provides a highly satisfying book for any woman with dreams of escaping their own rat-race and finding, if not Nirvana, a Spanish version of it. The book is as delicious as the tempting Mediterranean dishes she describes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Besotted!!, 19 Sep 2005
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
We all have dreams of doing this and that. But do we do them...or just dream about them? Here is a dream from the heart that Miranda Innes can share with us all. Miranda's dream...but more than a dream. It is her inspiration, determination, trials and tribulations...getting there.. to a new life of experiences. I have truly enjoyed reading this book and I'm sure you will too. Adios Amigo!!

5.0 out of 5 stars getting to manana, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
good & very familiar to all of us who have made Spain our home
many good amusing events & laughs

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting to Manana - loved it, 26 Sep 2004
Sandra Fry (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting to Manana (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book.
We moved over to live in Spain permanently earlier this year. After renovating our apartment on the coast to use as a permanent base, we set off in search of a 'project' Perhaps because of this I could relate to all the situations & exasperations of falling for and reforming a house in the campo 'countryside '
There were many times I laughed out loud especially the section on making loud noises before sleeping rough in the stables - been there, done that one!
I have recommended this book to friends who have enjoyed it as much as I did. In fact I rationed myself to reading a chapter a day, as I didn't want to finish too quickly!
The occasional recipe in the book, came as an unexpected bonus.
The first one or two chapters were not as good as the rest of the book, so persevere, and the ending came as a surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 July 2014
Good reading

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written by a lady with a flair for making the narrative interestin., 13 Nov 2013
D. Hancock (Blackpool,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
A very readable and interesting account of a move to Spain in not very affluent circumstances. Miranda's description of het relationship with her partner are very true to life. Lots of characters to be interested in and Miranda, with her background, has a lot of interest in gardens, plants and trees etc. I found this to be a very enjoyable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read!, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
Absolutely brilliant book, loved every moment of reading it! Very well written, arousing the want to do the same thing but lacking the nerve, I'm afraid. Miranda Innes sounds like a real 'girl's girl' but has the ability of appealing to the masculine sex as well because of her strength of character. Wonderful experiences ... quite delightful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving to rural Spain, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: Getting to Manana (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this book and having just arrived in Spain to live in a Cave Home we have been renovating for 2 years, everything in the book has amused me because Miranda seems to have had so many of the same experiences and frustrations. The biggest difference is that when we arrived, our British Builder did a runner and left us with so much extra expense to redo things we had already paid for. I laughed so much when reading this book, and having moved also from north London to southern Spain was quite a coincidence! I wish Miranda all peace and happiness in the rest of her life wherever she settles! Thanks. I am so sad the book has ended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one I'll read again, 30 Mar 2011
Mr. J. F. Thompson "Jonny" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Paperback)
Miranda Innes is a very good writer; she made me laugh a few times while reading this book. Her style is easy and she is quite witty and self-deprecating. However, this book annoyed me at times. I do not wish to be rude to the author but sometimes I just thought, "You stupid woman!". I couldn't understand why she put herself in the positions she did and sometimes it didn't come across as niavety but out right foolishness! moving to a foreign country is never without problems but she appeared to go off half cocked, not learning the language, not knowing what she was doing, doing absolutely no research and then wonders why all these mishaps befall her. Indeed, she retells these mishaps with great honesty and humour but they could have all been avoided had she exercised some thought and due care. She comes across as likeable, humouress and with a good story to tell but she is also annoying in the fact that she is her own worst enemy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Getting To Manana (Kindle Edition)
I read Cinnamon City, a story set in Marrakech, by the same author, and just loved it. Hence I was expecting another good read with Getting to Manana - but I was disappointed. This did not fulfill the expectation.
Rather mundane and it's all been done before (Carol Drinkwater etc)

Getting To Manana
Getting To Manana by Miranda Innes (Paperback - 5 July 2004)
6.03