5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and funny at the same time.
Originally posted on Serendipity Reviews
I wouldn't normally write a review so early, so this is a rarity for me, but I feel I want to lay out a red carpet and hire an orchestra to announce the arrival of this book. I may spontaneously combust if I don't talk about it now and get it out of my system.
I heard about this book back in June at the Random House...
Published 17 months ago by Serendipity Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Darcy Burdock
The whole book was good apart from the bit that tells you a scary story for Halloween which freaked me out.
Published 5 months ago by C. Peake

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and funny at the same time., 28 Feb 2013
Originally posted on Serendipity Reviews
I heard about this book back in June at the Random House Children's Books blogger party where I was lucky enough to meet the author, Laura Dockrill and hear her reading the first few pages from the book. (If you ever get the opportunity to hear Laura read, then I strongly suggest you take it - as she is a very talented performer.) So I have waited really really patiently until I could stand it no more and I had to read the book.
This is Darcy Burdock's story, she is a quirky, hilarious, mischievous, kind and cool all at the same time. She is a really strong character, which many children will easily identify with.
The book is told in first person and is interspersed with hand written stories by Darcy as well as really cool illustrations by Laura herself. Darcy is the lovable child we all see hidden in ourselves - the one that is still trying to make sense of the world and deal with life. She isn't perfect and she doesn't try to be, she just learns to overcome her issues by trying to occasionally do the right thing.
This book is both heartwarming and funny at the same time, as you follow Darcy's episodic events while writing everything down in her journal. She reminded me a little of Harriet the Spy but without the nosy, snooping tendencies.
The writing in this book oozes personality and is extremely refreshing to read. Darcy's voice is unique and original, keeping you entertained all the way through the book. I really hope that Darcy will be returning to centre stage relatively soon after her debut. Knowing how much she loves attention, I believe she will be appearing a string of books over the next few years.
This is Laura Dockrill's first children's book, but she is already fast becoming a household name. Laura not only writes fiction, but she also performs and write poetry too. She was recently voted one of the top ten literary talents by the Times and a hot new face by Elle magazine.
When this book is published, I would definitely recommend buying it as it is one of the best children's books I have read in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are a fan of Lauren Child you would enjoy this book., 10 Jan 2014
Daisy (12) for [...]

Darcy Burdock is one of life's thinkers she sees the amazing in everyday life around her. She thinks about everything and has a very active imagination. She often writes inventive stories and uses lots of people from her own life in these stories. She is a friendly character and you tend to fall in love with her because she's so friendly and I love her because she also likes Glee!

She tells about her hectic life and how growing up as a tweenager (a between teenager- not quite a teenager or a child) affects her. Her life is quite normal but she has problems at school, nosey neighbours, annoying boys, rubbish siblings and equally annoying girls as well.

My favourite part in the story is when her sister doesn't get chosen for a dance school and Darcy realises how important her sister is to her. Also there is a part whenever she walks into a room her parents stop whispering and her best friend Will is ignoring her. She feels really left out. Turns out they were planning a surprise birthday party for her.

Darcy Burdock is a very nice story with memorable characters but it's quite short, I read it very quickly, and it ends very suddenly. It's for younger tweens- about 9-11, and because I am 12 and it seemed like a book for younger children.

Verdict: If you are a fan of Lauren Child you would enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darcy burdock review, 14 Dec 2013
This book was so funny! Very random but tell s a story throughout this book was very entertaining and I think that everyone would love it no matter what age x

3.0 out of 5 stars Darcy Burdock, 23 Feb 2014
C. Peake (Warwks, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Darcy Burdock, 17 Mar 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1) (Paperback)
I'm going to be upfront and admit that this isn't the kind of book I'd usually pick up as it is aimed at a slightly younger audience than my usual reads. However, after meeting Laura Dockrill last year and having the opportunity to listen to her read a sample from this book I just knew I had to read it. Laura is such a talented performer and her quirky personality shines through in Darcy Burdock.

Darcy is a fabulous character with an unusual way of looking at the world. She isn't always perfect but she has a good heart and she tries hard to do the right thing. I think most of us will be able to identify with her in some way and reading this book brought back so many childhood memories which made it a joy to read. I loved watching Darcy's interactions with her friends, her parents and her younger siblings. She is incredibly insightful with her observations and made me laugh out loud numerous times with the way she puts things.

The story almost has a diary feel to it with Darcy relating events that have happened to her as she goes along and she also includes stories that she writes and illustrates the whole thing with fun pictures. Darcy Burdock is such a fun read and it is the kind of book I would have adored when I was at primary school. I believe that this is going to be the first book in a series and if that is the case I can't wait to read about more of Darcy's adventures. I can't recommend this story highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just so much fun!, 19 April 2014
Review: wow! Just wow! Such a super fun, children friendly, adult friendly book! I loved this book from cover to cover, having read the majority of it out loud to a group of eleven year olds! We were all laughing at points and on many occasions I had to wait for their hilarity to dissolve before continuing with the story! Darcy Burdock is an amazing character and such a fun character because she is just like them. She is a girl so the girls can identify with her clothing and her hair issues and yet she is a tomboy who wants to go on adventures and stands up to bullies to the tomboys and the adventurous boys could also identify with her! She is the oldest of three and has problems with her siblings and yet she plays at being characters as if she was an only child-something I could identify with!

The storyline is this is wonderful because it is in little short bursts, really suiting readers of this age groups and yet each chunk is in depth enough that they cry out when you have to stop reading because it is the end of the day, such a page turner! The story of Darcy herself is interspersed with stories written by Darcy and poems written by Darcy which are completely off the wall and fabulous and also give you an insight into what is going on inside Darcy's head! They're funny but they also have a really strong message of family values and doing the right thing and are about Darcy growing up and how she handles that, something which is a key theme for children leaving primary school and moving on to different secondary schools!

Overall I just can't find fault with this book, it is realistic yet fun, childish and yet grown up and having met the author, there is so much of her in there, you can tell that she had a lot of fun writing it. I would recommend this book to anyone. Anyone at all wanting to be entertained and read something completely different from the norm. This should be your next read whether you are an adult, a child, an adult with children or a child with adults, you will have so much fun and learn about things like mermaids, super heros and what it's like to be an eleven year old!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Light-Hearted read., 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1) (Paperback)
To start this review honestly, I have to admit that it was a long time ago that I finished this book. While it is still clear in my head, I am apologising if I get any of the important details wrong as I have read a lot of books since I finished this one. However, the one thing that I continue to remember about this book was how much I enjoyed it. This is a middle grade book that is full of light humour that will have you giggling often. It is the perfect read for young readers but I feel that older readers would still find it to be a lovely read. It simply reminds you of how we once saw the world and everything within it.

In conclusion, it is clear to see that I found this book to be truly entertaining. It had me giggling, it had me sitting in awe, and it made me think, and these are things I love books making me do. There were also moments when I was close to shedding a tear and wanting to put my arms around Darcy and make everything better again. It was a wonderful read that I would easily recommend for others. So, if you're in the mood for a light-hearted read, a character you'll instantly fall in love with, and a story full of ups and downs, twists and turns, then you should definitely give this book a go. I promise, you won't regret it!

I received this copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated nor was I required to write a positive review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darcy Burdock, 19 Aug 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1) (Paperback)
Darcy Burdock is a quirky, fun tween read that I'm sure will appeal to a wide range of readers. Laura Dockrill has a fantastic voice and a knack for children's fiction making this a must-read for that age group. Read it because, honestly, you will laugh!

Darcy Burdock is our narrator, a ten-year-old aspiring writer with much more maturity and insight than I was expecting. She has a pet lamb called Lamb-Beth, a lifelong best friend called Will and a family who occasionally drive her crazy. So she's just like us really, minus the lamb of course!

Darcy gets through her rather hectic life by writing absolutely brilliant stories, some of which are included in the book as if they were real, written on notepaper and illustrated. Some of these stories are so good that Dockrill could publish them by themselves, making them longer and more fleshed out. They're so imaginative and easily my favourite part of the book!

Darcy Burdock did take me a couple of chapters to fully get in to, but once I really started to like Darcy everything fell into place and I couldn't put it down. It's a bonkers book with a ridiculously fun young narrator, and I can't wait to read more from Laura Dockrill.

5.0 out of 5 stars It could get a laugh out of anyone, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1) (Paperback)
The book is written by the main character, Darcy, who is about ten years old and a bit like Clarice Bean. She lives with her mum, dad, her brother and sister who are both younger than her. I loved this book because it is humorous and full of laughs. Darcy Burdock is for boys as well as girls, because Darcy can be a boy's name and there are quite a few boy characters, including Will, Darcy's best friend. I am nine years old, but this book is aimed at any age!

Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1)
Darcy Burdock (Darcy Burdock 1) by Laura Dockrill (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
4.79