4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved it
This was given to my 11-year-old daughter who said:-

Jake Djones is an ordinary schoolboy with extraordinary parents - they belong to a secret group of time-travellers called the History Keepers, but they have gone missing. The History Keepers fight battles with evil people such as Zelt who plans to blow up most of Europe with a massive bomb.

It's a...
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking Read
The History Keepers is 455 pages of adventure, where the society of History Keepers travel through time to prevent their evil nemesis from succeeding in his diabolical plan. It isn't great literature, with layers of meaning, but it is a rollicking adventure, and would be a good choice for those the teenage market. The main character, Jake, is 14 years old, and the...
Published on 24 Aug 2011 by A John

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved it, 20 Oct 2011
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This was given to my 11-year-old daughter who said:-

It's a good story full of tension, drama and adventure, best read by children around the ages of 10 to 13 and possibly of more appeal to boys than girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!!, 6 May 2012
I throughly enjoyed this book. It is full of mystery, suspence and adventure. The book is about an average teenagaer called Jake Djones who takes on an extremely dangerous mission: to rescue his missing parents, not just in place but in time. I found the book was very descriptive, describing every little detail. There was an explanation for everything, even how you time travel! The characters were funny and amusing with all their different personalities. I recommend this book for ten year olds and up.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting concept that was really compelling., 24 Jun 2012
In all honesty, I was hooked on this book from just the synopsis but I feel I should make a note here about why. I did not like studying history in school, not because I found it boring but because I found it difficult. Remembering all the different dates, names, and events just wasn't something that came naturally to me but I was still fascinated by the subject. (Film history in my first year of uni is still one of my favourite subjects). I love the idea of what went on before us. I love historical films and plays but I have never really found a history book that really grabbed at me. Then I read this synopsis and I knew that it sounded like the perfect book to me. Time travelling is definitely an intriguing concept in itself but the way that Damian portrays it within this book was astounding, creative and truly captured my attention. With the synopsis bringing me in to the story, the story itself spoke volumes within me. It was fast-paced, action-packed and so compelling that I found it extremely hard to actually put it down.

Jake Djones is your ordinary fourteen year old boy, until he learns that his parents are missing but not just in modern day, but somewhere, anywhere, in history. They work for an organisation called The History Keepers who travel through time to keep history the same as it has always been known. Jake is quickly thrust into a world that he struggles to comprehend but a very curious nature, a strong, protective and passion filled heart compel him to surge forward and go above and beyond what is expected of him to save his parents. I loved Jake. I liked how he didn't listen to orders and did what he felt was right, I loved that he followed his heart, that he was smarter than he gave himself credit for and I just enjoyed the journey that he took himself on. Nothing that happened was because someone ordered him to do it, but more because he was ordered specifically not to. He took control of the situation and I loved that about him.

I also adored all of the secondary characters. Topaz was mysterious and alluring and I wanted to know more about her. I loved Charlie and his parrot and his intellectual nature but my favourite young agent was definitely Nathan. A boy so obsessed with fashion, he worries about it even when they're in the middle of danger. He was the comedic relief throughout the novel and I very much enjoyed laughing at the jokes he provided throughout the story. I also really loved how he automatically switched to being in charge, of taking everything on his shoulders when it was needed. He may have been light-hearted most of the time, but when it mattered, he had the ability to behave in the best way. It really made his character better. I also adored Jake's aunt, Rose. She had an energetic, lively nature and had a warm-filled heart too. Jupitus Cole was mysterious and a character you felt you needed to be weary off and I loved that about him. It made me want to know more about him. Jake's parents were both great too and I just wished we could have spent more time with them - but I have a feeling we might in the upcoming novels! I honestly cannot wait to read more about this characters and the next journey's that they set off on. I also felt that the age range between the different characters really helped to make this book more universal, I could imagine adults and children alike truly enjoying this story.

The story itself was so brilliant. There was never a truly dull moment, the pace always seeming just right and keeping the reader intrigued while still filling in all the basic background information that was needed. I loved where the agents ended up, I loved the journey that they took, the twists and turns that they had to deal with and just the character and relationship development that occurred throughout the novel. I also thoroughly enjoyed the counter-balance between action and comedy and how well it was dealt with within the story. But really, the best thing about this novel is the concept of time travel and how it happens. The way that anything that happens in the past will still affect the future as they know it, how they age at the same pace no matter what era they're in and that everything happens as they've heard about it in the history books. While Topaz, Jake, Charlie and Nathan were all born centuries apart, they're still all roughly the same age - a unique and creative concept that I just truly enjoyed. I am incredibly excited to see where they will all head to next - or rather, what will happen to them on their next adventure.

All in all this book is a great adventure book that is full of action and comedy, suspense and mystery and really manages to grab the reader. It is never dull or boring, always spurring the action onwards at a fast and captivating pace. It is a book that I would easily be able to read over and over again and would recommend (if I haven't already) to many people, if not everyone. It is universal in its themes and its address, and I truly believe that children and adults can fall in love with this story. While reading it, I was often reminded of J.K. Rowling and the way she writes and the journey's that her characters take (especially the first few books) and I find that the magic and mystery in The History Keepers is just as imaginative and creative too. This is a book that you definitely don't want to miss out on reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your child will devour this book, 3 Sep 2011
A swash-buckling adventure yarn about a boy who finds himself in a secret world of time travel and History Protection - If history is destroyed there will be nothing we could have built on, civilisation as we know it could have never evolved. This essential endeavour is set against a backdrop of amazing fashion, exotic locations, beautiful artefacts, colorful and vivid characters whose complex relationships will appeal to both young and adult readers. The method for time travel is innovative and imaginative, (no boring time machines here). The locations and times will inspire readers to want find out more about their world and go and visit..., which they can... because these places are REAL.
As a teacher of A levels I was delighted that historical events were seamlessly woven into the story, AND there were enticing references to the History of Ideas, which students of all subjects find fascinating. Throughout is a friendly humour both intelligent and lavatorial; this book is not mean and worthy, it has a vast range of time, space and appeal.
History Keepers may not catapult your child into being a renaissance man/woman, but its a good start.

5.0 out of 5 stars The History Keepers?, 26 Jan 2012
Fiona Massey "jellyfi1" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this book would and could have been better descibed as "Dr Who and Harry Potter, meet Percy Jackson"
I couldn't put this book down, and I am 38 years old!!!
Thoroughly loved it, as to me it has all the facets needed to keep the book interesting, not overly done but above all, factual!
Can't wait for more books from this series to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to a teenage library, 19 Jan 2012
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son loved this book - He's a very quick and avid reader.

He devoured all of Harry Potter at age 8 over a summer and has continued to read at a furious rate ever since. He's read every thing from Alex Ryder, Percy Jackson, The Conspiracy 365 series and now the Cherub and Henderson boy series.

This one went the same way as everything else although I think he found it slightly harder work (a good thing). I won't give the story away but as soon as he finished it he was asking for the next in the series..... So I reckon it's worthy of 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good!, 23 Feb 2014
This was really good, it had a adventure, mystery and a bit of romance.
The main character Jake was good but my favourite was Nathan.
It keeps you guessing. Overall great and recommended to all ages above 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a Try!!!, 24 Sep 2013
I read it as it was a recommendation, but was doubtful I would enjoy it as its not my usual genre of choice. Also as I am 60 and this is written for the teen market I felt it unlikely that I would enjoy it. But I said I'd give it a go, so I did, and I am very glad. It is extremely well written and the plot moves along at a thrilling pace. I won't give a synopsis of the story as other reviewers have.
This would make a wonderful film!!!! I now plan to read the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed, 14 Feb 2013
N. Tobin (UK) - See all my reviews
I must admit I do enjoy books written for the 'teen market, I am an ancient 50 year old. I picked up The History Keepers on a trawl through Amazon for new authors and was not disappointed. What's more, it is written in English and not americanese.
Time travel, double agents, secret societies, comedy, growing up and who knows, perhaps romance kept me entertained and engrossed through this book and straight in to the next, Circus Maximus. I'm looking for more and hope Damien Dibben comes up with a grand finale soon to the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant new YA series., 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The History Keepers: The Storm Begins (Paperback)
The History Keepers is a rip-roaring awash-buckling adventure that starts off at a frenetic pace and never relents.

Jake Djones (cool spelling) is caught up in a centuries old agency's fight to preserve history as we know it.

With a host of colourful characters (Nathan is my favourite) this book is good enough to be enjoyed by all ages and I can't wait for the next adventure.

The History Keepers: The Storm Begins
The History Keepers: The Storm Begins by Damian Dibben (Paperback - 24 May 2012)
5.24