Format: Paperback|Change

It's always interesting to see how a book is adapted to a graphic novel. Not just to get the artists impression but purely because so much has to be cut to streamline the story to make it fit the medium. This title (the first in the Bartimaeus series) is wonderfully creative and brings the impish magic of the djinn to the reader. It works beautifully as the cracking original story by Jonathan is complimented by the art of Lee Sullivan. Add to this a great adaptation, some seriously detailed artwork of London and the reader really has a treat in store. Perhaps a good way to interest some readers in books as it could be used as a great cross over in much the same way that the Artemis Fowl graphic novels were utilised.
VINE VOICEon 11 June 2011
This was my first experience of a graphic novel, but as a huge Bartimaeus fan, I couldn't resist. I read The Amulet of Samarkand some time ago, and listened to the audio version fairly recently - I love the characters, the ideas, and most of all the wit and humour.

My first impression of the book was very positive - the art, provided by Lee Sullivan is extremely vivid and detailed. It bring the story to life, and compels you to keep reading. My main concern was whether something would have to give as the story was compacted, but I shouldn't have worried. The story is all there, and whilst I'm sure details are missing, they were nothing noticeable. Some of Bartimaeus's lines will be missing, but that general feel of his wit and cheek remains.

The joy of this format is that there's something for everyone. For the reluctant reader, I would imagine graphic novels are more inviting, and the art work in this be enough to pull most people in. The characters and stories are all there, and it may even encourage them to go on and pick up the rest of the series - although they are sadly not in graphic form yet.

For those who are already fans, such as myself, it's a welcome addition to my book shelf, and I certainly enjoyed revisiting the story in this format.
on 2 June 2011
It's always tricky, allowing someone to visualise the written word for you.

What if the world looks nothing like the world you imagined? What if narrative, characterisation and/or plot detail is compromised for fancy artwork?

Fortunately there are no such anxieties here. The art work is exceptionally detailed. Anyone new to graphic novels will need to 'get their eye in' to see how successfully Mr Sullivan has realised Mr Stroud's world, the rest of us can just savour the the whole package. It's all here and has the feel of a grand epic sweep. Good stuff.

This graphic novel has successfully engaged a small group of reluctant boy readers aged 11/12. The quality of the paper, its feel and smell, were immediately noticed and appreciated. The thrill of decoding the text and the sumptuous graphics turned out to be more 'exciting' than they had expected. A great success all round.

Interestingly, one asked if it was a film. This version certainly lends itself as a ready made storyboard I must say.

As an older reader with varifocals I need it in large book form as I find the text is a tad small....but that's just me:-)
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2011
I'm a big of the Bartimaeus series but I was unsure of how it would translate to a graphic novel. The books are very, very wordy but nothing has been lost in the translation. The vision of London, as drawn by Lee Sullivan and Nicolas Chapuis, is exactly how I pictured it in my head while reading the novel all those years ago. Only the colors and wide panels make it look so much more theatrical. As expected, it's a condensed version of the story, but the brisk pace means that there are no distractions. I impatiently await the second novel (which was a bit of a let-down for me) to be adapted.
VINE VOICEon 3 March 2011
This graphic novel adpatation of Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus book is excellent. Nathaniel is the young apprentice of a magician in a modern day London where the ruling class of politicians are replaced by magicians, and the underclass is those without magic. Nathaniel is humiliated by Simon Lovelace, ruthless and powerful contemporary of his master and in order to take revenge summons the ancient djinn Bartimaeus. Great plotting, great adpatation and wonderful artwork of the story of a young magician to rival Timothy Hunter.
on 31 January 2011
I just want to thank Random House/Corgi Books for giving me this to review.

I have really never had an interest in graphic novels. I have only ever bought one and that was the Twilight graphic novel just because it was Twilight. So when the publishers contacted me about reviewing this I was unsure at first but thought I would give it try and I am really glad I did. When it came in the post my four year son clocked it and wanted it. So first I read it myself them we sat up last night and read together. We both enjoy it.

The Amulet of Samarkand Graphic Novel is an adaptions of the orginal novel (which I have yet to read) its follows the story of a young magican Nathaniel after he summons a Djinni called Bartimaeus and takes them both on a action packed adventure. That will surely be enjoyed by the young and old.

The art work that is done by Lee Sullivan and Colour by Nicholas Chapuis is just wonderful. Its bright and colourful and really is easy on the eyes. Usually I have seen graphic novels that only use black and white and maybe that is the reason why I have never really took an interest in them. However, this really captures you and it is very easy to follow. However, my only negative would be the size of the writing. It is rather small and even though I wear glasses to read and I could read it ok. I think if some people would struggle with the text size.

Overall, a great fun read that will make you want to go out and buy the orginal books. And a huge thumbs up for a very happy four year boy who is totally in love with this graphic novel.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 April 2014
This is quite good but only really works because the novel on which it is based was so good. The adaptation itself is very average.
on 1 January 2012
As a newcomer to the Bartimaeus books this graphic novel was a delight. A post-war feel London populated by Wizards and the non-wizarding majority is lovingly created in words and pictures and the graphic novel makes me not only want to rush out and get the next one but also to explore the novels themselves. John Mandrake is a particularly interesting character and I hope to see him develop in later books. A thoroughly enjoyable read!
on 25 April 2014
Very effective easy for my son engaged in the story of magic regarding a young, defiant magition. A great illustration of what is a great set of books.
on 1 September 2014
The Bartimaeus books are wonderful - this is an excellent graphic interpretation of the first.