5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly Good
The Alchemyst by Michael Scott opens with Sophie Newman working in the Coffee Cup across the street from her twin brother, Josh, who is working in the book shop. Sophie is talking on the phone when a car pulls up out front and some unusual-looking men step out of it. They enter the bookshop and neither her, nor her brother's, life will ever be the same again. They enter...
Published on 28 Jun 2007 by Danielle

3.0 out of 5 stars "I am legend. Death has no claim over me, illness cannot touch me. . . For I am the immortal Nicholas Flamel".
THE ALCHEMYST is the beginning of a new children's series with magic firmly at its heart.

Sophie and Josh Newman are twins who are staying in San Francisco during the summer while their parents are on an archeological dig. Josh has a job at a small bookshop, Sophie works in a coffee shop directly across the road. On May 31st, their life changes forever as they...
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars "The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott, 3 April 2014
This review is from: The Alchemyst: Book 1 (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) (Paperback)
I first read this book many many years ago, in my native language, Estonian. As a kid who loved myths and legends growing up, this was a special kind of treat. So now that I have access to the wonderful bookstores of UK, I thought that it was about time I relived my childhood.

Somehow I remembered Scott’s writing style as more fluent but that might have been the translation I read at the time. That is in no way to say that it is bad. It is great, just not my favourite. Just like I have quite a specific taste in writing style that makes pages fly by for me, there are many people for whom this could be the perfect cup of tea.

But lets get to the good parts before you start to think that I did not like this book, which would be a colossal lie (really Pinocchio, get a grip).

First of all, the story. If you like mythology, any kind of mythology, then this is an amazing book. I cannot even imagine the amount of work that went into creating the world and backstory of this book. The idea that Nicholas Flamel is still alive is an intriguing. Doctor John Dee actually was an advisor to Queen Elizabeth. And then the gods and goddesses of old: Hekate, Morrigan, Bastet, the list goes on. Combining so many different mythologies and stories could turn out to be so ridiculous. But Scott creates a world in which they co-exist in a way that makes sense and is exciting beyond belief.

The only bone I have to pick with this book is that almost none of the characters were clear-cut. I mean I like the mysterious stranger as much as the next fan girl. But while one of the twins, Josh, got a fair share of backstory, I felt like Sophie was a little neglected. I felt like they were supposed to steal the show but ended up being the talented sidekicks.
Scathach remained very vague and I would have loved to learn more about the ancient Irish warrior. Then again I liked that you could never really decide if Nicholas Flamel was as good as he seemed to be or not.

That said I will hold on to the right of changing my opinion after reading the next books. It might turn out to be one of those stories which are good but not amazing and then something in the later books makes it all click and you just have to put the book down for a moment, stare at nothing and say: “S***...“

All in all „The Alchemyst“ was an good read. It lures you in, has a lot of action and makes you (okay, me) giddy with excitement when you see a familiar legend brought into the fold. I think when I first read it I was in the intended demographic, I was about 14 at the time. And it was a bit better the first time around. Therefore by my personal opinion “The Alchemyst” ranks 3.5 stars. But it is worth mentioning that half of one of those is a nostalgia star.

---

The review is also on my blog:
www.thefantasylibrarian.blogspot.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, 15 Mar 2014
Excellent story telling enjoy how history is woven into the story and mythological stories are made to seem real A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 10 Feb 2014
RD "RD" (Worthing WS) - See all my reviews
Good book. Story keeps rolling along and you want to know what happens next all the time. I would rate this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this book!, 25 Aug 2013
Antigone (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves the fantasy genre and this book and series is one of her favourites. It is a well written page turner for ages 9-12. I am appreciative of authors who make an effort to write well written books with compelling plot lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 25 July 2013
Read this in 3 days flat brilliant book I will be buying the next book and it probably will be read in 2 days flat read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 July 2013
This will be the third time that i have read this book and i still enjoy it everytime i pick it up !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb. The start of a great adventure, 31 May 2013
Excellent book, now being read by my 9 year old. She is enjoying the series as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter an enchanting world which beautifully blends the magical and mythical with a modern scientific twist!, 25 Mar 2013
I was astonished to uncover a book like no other, which contrary to epic fantasy creations contains solid scientific fact amid a contemporary feel. As a huge fan of JK Rowling's Harry Potter series, I was already familiar with Nicholas Flamel who had created the Philosopher's stone (the elixir of life) and so secrets to immortality had already been discovered. What I did not expect to find was a totally original creation with exciting characters, which took me on the most thrilling journey and otherworldly adventure. The two `meddling' twins reminded me of Fred and George Weasley's distinct personalities, as they brought such vibrancy and energy to the gripping narrative. Cleverly combining folklore with mythology, this is a series (that although targeted towards the younger reader), will appeal to JRR Tolkien fans and those who enjoy spellbinding fantasy in the vein of Harry Potter or His Dark Materials.

The Alchemist is the first installment within a five book series that focuses on Nicholas Flamel the seven hundred year old Alchemyst. Born in Paris on 28 September 1330, Flamel is known as one of the greatest Alchemyst of all-time, with his discovery of the secret to eternal life being a noteworthy achievement. Within the book of Abraham the Mage lies this powerful secret, and so in the wrong hands it could ultimately destroy the world...this element reminded me of Torchwood: Miracle Day, when no one dies!
...modern day - Dr. John Dee plans to steal the book. A prophecy states that two youngsters, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to prevent this from happening. As Sophie and Josh find themselves in the middle of a perilous quest to save mankind from extinction, they also realize the magnitude of this when at the heart of one of the greatest legends of all-time...

Plunging into a dazzlingly dangerous world filled with immortals and extraordinary creatures, distant lands and vast realms was simply breathtaking. As an avid reader and individual whose mind spends one hundred percent of its time in a fantasy land (whether that be Hogwarts or Middle-Earth), I was utterly awestruck by the inspired vision and scope of this novel. I cannot enthuse enough about this remarkable series which was pure joy to read, addictive and profoundly absorbing as to render me unable to put the book down. If I could give more than a five star rating I would, hence I cannot wait to delve into book 2 `the Magician'.

...What would you do if you held the secret which could end the world?

*I won a paperback copy of "Book 1: the secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel, The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott, from a Goodreads (first-read) giveaway. I would like to thank Random House publishing for sending me a copy of this book*

4.0 out of 5 stars The Alchemyst, a great book for adventure seekers!, 6 Jan 2013
i highly recommend this magical book to teenagers and adults who have a hunger for magic and the unimaginable. i feel that this book and its detailed description and wide range of characters brings your imagination to life, which is a great escape from your everyday. my only criticism would have to be that it is all packed into a very short space of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still amazing!, 28 Oct 2012
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
THE ALCHEMYST was a great read that I loved from start to finish! Similar to the PERCY JACKSON series, THE ALCHEMYST is all about ancient gods that we consider mere myths. The characters were very entertaining and provided a lot of comic relief in an otherwise extremely series fantasy novel. The main twins could have had a bit more depth in my opinion, but there are still five more books for me to read, so I'm not too bothered. The storyline was exciting, dark and made for very interesting reading. I can't wait for the planned film to come out because this book was made to be a movie! The only problem I had with this book was that the pace slowed in the middle and some of the chapters grew ever so sligtly dull. Overall, however, I loved this book and can't wait to read the next one, THE MAGICIAN! 8/10

The Alchemyst: Book 1 (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)