Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 3 May 2008
The twins Josh and Sophie start out thee day as normal to find that people they know, they really did not know, and a sane mundane world is anything but. Soon they find themselves part of a ten thousand year old prophecy that may bring about the demise of the world as we know it.

Needles to say I was drawn in to this title by the name of Nicolas Flámel. Instead of a biography I found a story that incorporated many mythical creatures and historic events into a consistent chase of bad guys against good guys that covers many of the major world's well know landmarks mostly in California or off shore. My favorite character is the Witch of Endor only a grand daughter could love.

One warning is that this book is a true cliffhanger and of no use without the second book.
on 7 June 2007
I was quite scepitcal when I first picked up this book, I only wanted a bit of easy reading to while away the hours. I didn't expect it to be particularly good and the opening chapters confirmed my original suspicion; The beginning of this novel is quite clunky, the author tries to throw us into the action almost immediately and it doesn't quite work. However as the story developed I found myself being pulled into the world, I was intrigued, I was hungry for the end. Imagine my dismay then when on the last page I discover that I was reading the first book in a series. I actually yelled with frustration. I shall be eagerly waiting the next installment!!
on 11 August 2015
Whilst I liked this book, it wasn't one of my favourites. I liked the beginning, however by the time I reached the middle it felt like it was dragging on a bit and not an awful lot was happening. I did though, like the way Nicholas Flamel is based on a real person from history and all the monsters and 'Elders' that they encounter are from real legend, as in, I could look any of them up on Wikipedia and a long and detailed description of them would come up. That was pretty cool, because it made the story seem more believable like it could all actually be true. I just wish there was more of a plot in it to make it more interesting, because the whole idea is really good, just not so much the story itself.
on 13 April 2012
I actually bought this book for my niece for her birthday and decided to buy it for myself too. It's a cant put it down book full of mystery, intrigue and action and I loved it. The most important part for me was that it was so well researched and I could relate to the characters like Dr. John Dee bad knew the background this made it all the more worth while.
I have since read the Magician and an now onto the next one - it is indeed captivating and a work of art or maybe I should say " the great work"
I personally know how important it is to give Authors feedback especially in such good work.
on 22 June 2009
Really enjoyed this and am half way through the next. Am a great fan of this genre whether written for either adult or child. This is ecellent. Keep them coming!
on 22 December 2013
Does anyone else think of Harry Potter?
As in Dumbledore's chocolate frog card, Sir Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the philosopher's stone.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Whilst very slow in starting up, the tale does pick up and will soon have the reader glued to the pages as the tale develops. Wonderfully blending together, magic, science with a touch of myth and you have something very special for the reader, that will keep the reader enchanted throughout. A cracking novel and demonstrates that the author will improve with each successive novel if he continues to build upon the wonderful world that appears within these pages.
on 19 February 2009
If you enjoy myth and fantasy this book is brilliant, I would think most Harry Potter fans would love it too. It starts slowly but gathers speed quickly. Whilst Harry Potter only briefly touched on the myth of Nicolas Flamel this book takes you in.

The only downside is like Harry Potter it is a series of books - the second being The Magician which is already available and the third due to be released in May 2009. I can't wait for the next instalment.......
on 10 September 2009
I must admit that I read number three in the series first, The Sorceress, but even that sparked my attention and I simply had to read the two prequels. And to be quite honest and fair this is prolly one of the few books who caught me into the story in a matter of pages. It starts off with a blast and it keeps amazing you all the way through it.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book for any who are interested in myths, legends and a spark of magic!
on 18 April 2015
I didn't enjoy the story much, I didn't like the way the story just kept going and going and I felt like the characters weren't really getting anywhere. They just running into little magical obstacles without getting anywhere, I think I still would have enjoyed it if I could connect with the characters more but I don't know why, I just couldn't. I won't be reading the rest of the series just yet.