5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Series
I've been a fan of Fallen ever since the first book was released, and waiting for the conclusion to the series seemed like an age. I'll be the first to admit that the Fallen books have always been slightly hit and miss, and has attracted a lot of people who love or hate it.
I'm glad to be on the former's side.

As the final book, it's often hard to find the...
Published on 19 July 2012 by Pippa Lockwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Rapture Ready? Apparently not.
In my review for Passion, I swore I would not read this book. Well, that must tell you that the series must be OK if I picked the book up from the shops. Sure, I happened to glance at it and was craving a story since I finished my entire book list, but if I truly despised the series I would not have picked this up again. Point for Fallen right there.

Synopsis:...
Published on 22 Jun. 2012 by Boleyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Series, 19 July 2012
I'm glad to be on the former's side.

As the final book, it's often hard to find the balance between a brilliant plot and a satisfying conclusion to the story as a whole, whilst also answering questions and tying up all loose ends. Lauren Kate did this with Rapture, and she did it wonderfully.

I don't think it can be disputed that Rapture is by far and away the best book of the series. It just felt like Kate had finally found and embraced her style of writing which has been yearning to come out for some time, and the words just flowed.

All the characters felt much more mature, which was a relief to see. At times in previous books (Torment, I'm looking at you), some had been bordering on irritating with their self-centred, teenage angst feelings - especially Luce - but here they were focused on what they had to do and much more involved.

Daniel especially came into his own. His character voice felt much stronger and his and Luce's love felt much more convincing and worth the battle around them.

I was in awe of how the story progressed and was genuinely stunned at some of the plot twists. Nicely done, Kate. What happened felt right, and more than lived up to what we wanted to happen.

But the ending, for me, was bittersweet. (Here I am referring to the very end - namely the last two chapters/epilogue)
It was the right way to go, I know, but I can't help thinking things were a little different.

I was sad to see the series end - in fact I shed a tear as I read the last line - because I really have loved these books, and have invested a lot of time and heart into them. Endings are always hard, because here we have to draw a line and say goodbye to the characters.

So: farewell, Fallen. It's been worth the wait, and it's been one hell of a ride.

Wingspeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic End, 4 Aug. 2012
I've been following Lauren Kate's books ever since I first read Fallen way back in 2009. I read it straight after discovering Twilight and the whole of paranormal romance world, so for me now, it's a really bittersweet moment because I'm very sad it's over but I'm so pleased it ended on such a high note.

Rapture is just pure amazing! From start to finish Lauren Kate takes us on a whirlwind journey following the characters that we've all fallen in love with and she doesn't stop batting out shocking and exciting revelations, until the very last page. Rapture was far from predictable and Lauren Kate took the story to a whole new level. All of the questions I found myself asking through-out this series, are now answered and let me tell you, you will NOT be disappointed. If anything, I'm still sitting her nearly a month later just thinking "wow, I did not expect that" - Seriously, it's that good.

What I loved about this book was there was so much more Daniel and Luce time. I fell in love with their relationship from the start, so I was always rooting for them. Daniel becomes even more swoon-worthy and I loved how their relationship grew too. What I didn't expect was the shocking story that involved Lucifer. Boy oh boy, will you be surprised but you will be blown away also because it was the last thing I ever expected.

The ending of the book was done so perfectly well that all my favourite characters got the ending they all deserved. I just adored Daniel and Luce's ending and Lauren did the finial touches brilliantly. My only major problem was Cam; I don't think his ending was a good as the others. It kind of felt left open - maybe in the hopes that Cam could have his own book because that's how it felt, but I guess we'll see.

All in all, Rapture was the perfect ending to a fantastic series and I honestly will be sad to see it go. Full of romance, danger, hope and love - it's not one to miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew my mind!!, 11 May 2013
I have read many books series in my time and only a few have ever stayed with me over the years. The Fallen series is one of those few. Rapture is the ending to this fantastic series and is my favourite out of the five, I think its because you can really feel the emotions of all the characters. There were so many twists in this book that I did not see coming and would not have guessed. In the last few chapters I laughed and (most of all) I cried!!! I really felt not only what Luce and Daniel were going through but the emotions of all her friends, family and the outcasts too. Although I was devastated about the way it ended I would not have changed a thing. I totally encourage anyone to read these books, you will not regret it. Great writing, great characters, love, twists and turns and an ending you will not forget in a hurry.....what's not to love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the series., 2 May 2013
I do love the fallen series of Lauren Kate. Its a very sweet story that stays with you long after you turn the last page. Rapture is very good. A few moments lacking impact but its a surprising end that even I didn't see coming. Its a lovely end to the story that makes you feel satisfied. Good writing and research too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Mar. 2013
It was a great book! Such a happy ending, couldn't put the book down at all!!! I have read all the books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 10 July 2012
S. Caughie "scaughie" (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I haven't uniformly loved the books in this series (yes Fallen, not so much Torment) but I do love the series overall. Though it isn't always pitch-perfect, 'Rapture' is still a great ending to the - quadrilogy? Well, series. In particular I'm glad that Kate didn't try to spin it out any further, as seems to be happening too much these days with series in this genre. There's a definite, logical progression in the development of the two main characters throughout the four books, and the way that their quandry pans out in the last book makes good on that trajectory. Though both the 'twist' regarding Luce's true identity and Luce & Daniel's ultimate fate are somewhat predictable, they're still satisfying. And let's be honest: there isn't much that isn't predictable in teen paranormal romance novels. Which is part of the reason those of us who love them, love them!

Having said that, there is another twist at the end regarding Luce's history which I didn't see coming, and which is actually one of the reasons why I didn't give this book five stars. Rather like Primrose's fate in the Hunger Games, the revelation of the second forgotten section of Luce's past, presumably put in there for effect, seemed to me unnecessary and rushed. More to the point, it depleted what had, for me, been the driving force of the plot and character arc: Daniel & Luce's unwavering love for and devotion to each other. It also detracted from Luce's character itself. One of the things I've liked about this series is that Luce isn't necessarily the most perfect and beautiful girl in the room, but Daniel still loves her best, because of what's in her soul (as he tells us repeatedly.) But the final revelation about Luce's past [slight spoiler alert] was gilding the lily. We already have three major characters in love with her - this fourth one pushes the situation from just-about-believable into Mary Sue territory. Especially when there are so many other desirable females in attendance... Anyway, to say more about that is to say too much. But I'd be interested in whether other readers felt the same way.

The book's other major downfall is the many loose ends it doesn't tie up. And they're some pretty major ones: what, for instance, was the deal with Trevor's spontaneous combustion? That has been nagging me since the beginning of the series, but everyone just seems to accept it without explanation, with no mention made among all of the big revelations at the end.

And then, why do so many of Luce's close friends have to die? I actually hold JK Rowling somewhat responsible for this one - she was determined to kill off lovable characters as if it would somehow give the books greater adult credibility. Now this tendency seems to have infected the genre and similar ones. Can't good ever just plain triumph over evil? Do there always have to be major sacrifices? It's annoying, especially when the sacrifices seem just too simple.

Another peculiarly major oversight for Kate: in her Big Decision at the end of the book, Luce agonizes over what it might mean for her and Daniel and their angelic friends, but she never spares a thought for the human friends and family who stand to lose the most from her decision. In fact they never even cross her mind, which seems strange at best, given how important they've been to her in the past, and what she's learned about loss from visiting her past lives.

I was also ready to complain about the fact that Shelby & Miles seem to just fall off the face of the earth, along with the explanation for Arianne's burns, Roland's allegiance to Lucifer, etc. Then I remembered the strange little book 'Fallen in Love' which came out on Valentine's day. Got it, and it does explain some of these things - though not always particularly well. But that's another story.

At the end of the day this tragic love story does have a happily-ever-after, and it was well enough done to make me smile. So four stars, definitely. I'll be interested to see what Kate comes out with next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Sept. 2014
This YA series is consistent and the characters are all interesting. I liked the concept and overall a series, I would recommend to those who like YA paranormal romance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rapture Ready? Apparently not., 22 Jun. 2012

Synopsis: Luce and Daniel are in love. They have been in love, in fact, for thousands of years. For you see, Daniel's kiss is one of death, and every time he and Luce meet and fall in love, she is doomed to die over and over again. However, Luce, because she has not been christened, can never be reincarnated again, and can now have her `happily ever after' with her `soul mate' (quoted) Daniel. Well, not really, because in Rapture, Luce, Daniel and friends have nine days to stop Lucifer from erasing the Fall. In other words, every single thing that has occurred following the Fall to the modern day will be erased entirely. Apparently, only Luce can break the curse. Sacrifices will be made, friends will be lost - and the fate of the world lies only in Luce's hand.

So, like in Passion, I will give you the PRO's and CON's. Some may agree, some may disagree, or just not care either way.
*SPOILERS*

We'll start with the bad in order:

1) Everyone knows Luce's part she plays in the Fall and the `endgame' as Gabbe called it, but didn't tell her as they felt `it wasn't their place'. First of all, wouldn't it be better if they told her themselves rather than it coming as a surprise to her? It won't protect her. Keeping it a secret has no rationality behind it. I do believe that Lauren Kate wanted to keep it a secret because she wanted her audience to keep reading. Well, it was not necessary.

2) Miss Sophia - the weakest villain in all the books I have read. She is not enticing, she is not threatening, she is just mediocre - perhaps not even that.

3) 3 ancient relics? No originality - look at The Mortal Instrument series and Harry Potter. Cam really sums up the absurdity of the situation: `We'll squander time searching for mystery items that may or may not tell us what we need to know in places where they may or may not have rested for centuries.' Daniel's reply: `In short, yes.'

4) OK, so I have no problem with Luce flying in Daniel's arm - no really, I don't. It's romantic in its own way. However, they are supposedly flying terribly fast, so fast that the narrative even says they are gaining speed every second - and guess what? Luce and Daniel have a conversation. I'm not scientist, but I'm pretty sure if you're flying as fast as Kate tells us they are - they actually pass by a plane - that a conversation - let alone the stupid joke Luce made - would be a little bit impossible! Realism, even in a fantasy, should not be neglected!

5) I love romance, but Kate puts SO much droll into it, and it's not new or exciting. It is literally, `They belonged together' over and over. We get it. We know. Jeez!

6) Clichés ... so many I literally don't feel like quoting them all. Just ... Just move on from this point.

7) So, without giving too much away, Daniel and Luce have to dive under water to find one of the relics. Luce is supposed to hold her breath for a really long time - when in the book did it say she was a constant swimmer? I can't even hold my breath for a minute! So, how does she keep under the water without dying? Daniel kisses her. Uck. Carbon dioxide poisoning, anyone? `Luce let a surge of athletic pride complement her relief at having survived.' Uck.

8) I love sarcastic characters, but not everyone can be sarcastic. For every character to be sarcastic deters me from the story, and makes the characters seem the same. In fact, I've forgot most characters because I become confused over who is who! Sure, Luce and Daniel aren't sarcastic usually, but their characteristics are just bland and droll.

9) The scene with the Outcasts was looking good. Tension was piling. Then, Luce goes unconscious and the Outcasts are now her and Daniel's allies. I felt robbed of a good chapter.

10) `She raised her leg, preparing to kick him like she'd seen in kung fu movies...' I have thousands of these examples.

11) The romance between Lucifer and `Luce' was not as grand as it could have been. I felt a little let down by it. At this point in the book, I just wanted the story to be over and done with.

12) The epilogue was disappointing and anti-climax. I couldn't even believe it. I read all the way through this just for THAT?

Believe me, I had so many more points, but I fear I am giving too much away. The smell of the book is better than the content inside.

The PRO's (yes not that many - however, they kind of make up for the boredom in the book).

1) The front cover is, as always, very beautiful. It's why I picked the book up and gave it another go.

2) Luce is still traumatised over Penn's death which is very humble and endearing. Admist all the chaos she stll feels saddened over her friend's death.

3) The `timequakes' were a good concept. The closer Lucifer gets to the Fall, the more timequakes there are.

4) There were a few romance scenes in the beginning I liked: when Daniel gave Luce her locket back and he remembered all the times they spent together. I love these scenes.

5) I really like that Luce remembers her past selves and carried them with her, fighting on their behalf. It's one of those parts of the story I really admired Kate for, that I think she did a brilliant job.

6) I loved a particular scene with Luce and Daniel when they talk about their past, and Luce remembers it. It was a really nice, cosy scene.

7) Some of the angel lore was interesting. Without giving you spoilers, it was probably the most interesting bit.

Bore-factor: 6.5/10 - It took a very long time, just past half way through the book, for the story to get exciting. When it finally reached enjoyment, it was good. Not great, but good.

Romance: 8/10 - This story is romantic. However, if they cut out the war parts of the story and made it just about Luce and Daniel, it would have been better.

Characters: 3/10 - Luce is unoriginal. I felt no connection for her. Daniel was bland per usual and so beautiful that he shines so amazingly and makes me `OMG my face off' (quote) - see, there's my `once in a blue moon' sarcasm.

Ending: 4/10 - Cliché. Terribly so. I felt cheated. I'd read this book really hoping it would be good, hoping the ending would make me satisfied, but it did nothing in me. It stirred nothing in me at all. Why were two adults watching kids make-out? Uck. Anyway. Not the ending I would have liked.

Overall: 5/10 - the concept of the story was good, I can't deny it. Girl reincarnated over and over again whenever she kissed her lover or remembered her past. It has so much potential, but Lauren Kate was not the right person to execute it. It was unoriginal, boring and uninspiring. The idea of erasing the Fall seemed like it just popped into Kate's head. I never thought the story was about that, but about love. This `war' thing seemed so sudden and pointless. Kate said she likes writing love stories - then keep to it. This story would have been amazing if it was just for love. Three books would have sufficed. I am so disappointed when I read a story that could have been `the next big thing'. This could have been. The fact that it's getting turned into a movie won't change the `FAIL' this book should have imprinted on its beautiful covers. Still, I am happy I read the series, because it was an OK read. I even recommended Fallen to my friend (who liked it up to Torment). Would I do so again? No. Would I read the series again? Never. Will I remember it? It's already being erased by my memory.

Buy this book if you have read the series, want a cheesy book to read for your holiday, or are just bored.

Don't buy this book if you are looking for good writing, inspirational content, inspiring and beloved characters, and a general, non-confusing, non-vague story with a memorable, original villain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hush is better, 4 Aug. 2014
Good series but slow going. Ithought the Hush saga is a better read if your into your fallen angels . This still a good series but I felt at times the chemistry is missing between Luce and Micheal. This book is the best since the first, in the second and third books it seamed Micheal was abandoning Luce to her own devices

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Ending!, 17 July 2012
So disappointing! This series seems to have just gotten worse with each book. It honestly bored me to sleep every time I started to read which explains why it's taken me so long to finish! Cam hardly even featured which is a bit odd seeing as how once upon a time he was sort of a main character......I had high hopes for this series but feel like I've just wasted my time on it.

The love story of Daniel & Luce is pretty boring in my opinion. I would have loved for there to have been a few twists & turns and maybe something unexpected. I remember seeing someone suggest that maybe Cam & Daniel were one being that had been split & maybe the end would be them joining again.....even that would've have been better than the ending in the book!

Argh! I'm just really annoyed & frustrated with a direction it went in but I guess we can't all have our way!

Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series
Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series by Lauren Kate (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2013)