4.0 out of 5 stars Continues the story well
This is the second book, it follows 'Fallen' by Lauren Kate. The story is of Angels, Demons, past lives... it is an exciting read and one that continues the story ending from book 1, it is no let down at all, i prefered this one to the first and the first was brilliant!
Published on 18 Jan 2011 by Thinker

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing the drama from the first book...
I loved the first novel in this series and I was looking forward to picking up Torment to see what would happen after Fallen left off... Well I was in for something I was not expecting. To me this book was so far from the first novel it could have been from a completely different series.

Where Fallen was a book with a great atmosphere, set in a very prison like...
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by Emma

4.0 out of 5 stars Continues the story well, 18 Jan 2011
Thinker (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Torment (Fallen) (Paperback)
The only downside of this genre seems to be the amount of books that are part of a series and so it leaves you with a real cliffhanger in the end, but at least we get more of the characters then and the story can be more complex than some.
I don't want to leave spoilers so i will not say too much about plot, but various characters from book 1 return and poor Luce is more confused than ever, it's not too confusing for the reader though!
If you liked Twilight, House of Night, Hush Hush, you are most likely to enjoy this, but please read 'Fallen' first!

4.0 out of 5 stars Second in the series and FAB!, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series (Paperback)
This is the second in the series and i loved it! If you liked the first book i would recommend this book as a carry on.... Its just as good if not better than the first book!
I wont put any spoilers in this review as i wouldn't want to ruin the story!

Its brilliant and i would recommend it :)

Please rate my review as helpful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing the drama from the first book..., 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series (Paperback)

Where Fallen was a book with a great atmosphere, set in a very prison like reform school in the oppressive heat of Georgia, the setting completely changed to a light and airy school in California. While both of these settings worked for the story being told I think I preferred the feel of the first book more. However the new school and location was a good opportunity for us to meet some new and interesting characters with some amazing powers.

In Fallen I also really liked Luce as a character, but I felt that in Torment she became very willful and would disregard what she had been advised to do. Hello, if an angel tells you not to leave the school grounds it is probably for a very good reason. To me this behaviour was very annoying and I had little sympathy for her hen she got herself, and others, in trouble. I would also have liked to seen more of the angels worked into the story and learned more about Daniel. But along with Luce, I still feel very in the dark about his character.

On the whole this book did not live up to my expectations and I felt I was mildly disappointed. However I did enjoy the ending of the book, bring on the army of angels please, and I would love to go straight back into the story line. From what I have heard the next book will be less about the present and more about Luce and Daniel's past lives. We will just have to wait and see what Lauren Kate brings us next! Oh and by the way I am totally team Cam!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, but still pretty bad, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series (Paperback)
I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of Fallen, the first book in this series. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Torment, and although I wasn't totally thrilled with it, it was enough for me to want to continue reading the remaining books in the series.

One thing that stood out to me as better than the first book was the dialogue. Some of the dialogue in Fallen was cringe-worthy, so it was nice to see that the author had worked harder to make it more believable. I felt like the dialogue was a lot more realistic to how people - particularly teenagers - actually speak, so it was a lot easier for me to read.

I also loved Steven and Francesca's lessons and the effort that went into creating a believable back story for the angels and demons that was unique and thought-provoking. The quote that said `the winners get to write history' made me think a lot our own world and what may or may not be true.

However, there were definitely aspects of the story that I disliked. I felt that Luce had done no growing up, despite what she has seen, and was as annoying as ever. She was too whiney for my liking and it was frustrating that she couldn't just take Daniel's - the man she supposedly loves - word that some things are safer for her not to know. I also disliked how Daniel continuously told her not to do anything dangerous, while simultaneously putting her in danger every night by coming to the campus. It seemed very unrealistic that he wouldn't be able to hold off for sixteen days, if it meant saving the life of the one he loved.

Another issue I had was that the plot `twist' was much, much too obvious. I understand that the author was trying to foreshadow, but it really only to serve as to reveal where the story was heading, even at its very first mention. It could have been surprising if the author hadn't made it so painfully obvious, but as it was, I was continuously asking `okay, when are we getting to the action?'.

Although I didn't love Torment, it had enough to keep me interested in seeing how this series plays out. Judging by the ending, the next book could be an extremely interesting journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 Oct 2011
So after reading Fallen I was rather excited for this one too! The cover is amazing definately just as eye catching as the first! I think it really draws you to want to find out what's inside! I like how it follows on really with the cover of Fallen, if seen seperarely you would just know that they are from the same series.

Although we see many characterstics still shine throughout this book I was hoping for more development within Lucinda's character, I thought she could have maybe matured a little but it seems she was very whiny most of the time about being away from Daniel. But I guess if we were in love like that we'd whine too right!! lol! New characters are introduced such as Shelby & Miles also Franchesca & Steven all with very different personas which is always exciting to read about!

Kate still painted some fantastic vivid scenes which I was able to sit there and see it all in my head so real in fact sometimes I felt as if I was there just watching on & I love that in a book!

I was lucky enough to read Fallen & Torment pretty much back to back after seeing them at Goodreads I couldn't resist buying them. Even if I had read them months apart I think I would have got right back into the storyline. I've really enjoyed learning about the Announcers Shadows as that is definately one of the things that kept me interested I was just sooo curious!

I think my review pretty much sums it up how I felt about this book and of course i'd reccomend just as much as the first of the series. There is a fab balance of Romance, mystery, humour, action & fantasy all in one series! How awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 2 Feb 2011
this book is perfect for the teens struggling in the love department! i was gripped from the very first page after reading the first book fallen i couldnt wait to hear how luce and daniels story continued! i sincerely hope there will be a third to follow the great first two!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, 29 Oct 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torment (Fallen) (Paperback)
I fell in love with Luce and Daniel's story in Fallen, and was beyond excited and frustrated when I finished the book; excited because it was just so wow, frustrated because I had so many questions and had to wait so long for Torment! So I was thrilled when I finally had the book in my hands. And now I've read it, all I can say is OH MY GOD!

I am reeling with amazement as I write this at how incredible Torment is! The writing skill Kate just blows me away. We have a whole slew of new characters who are just so real they could jump out of the page, a plot that is just so believable, a rollercoaster of emotions that will tug at the heart strings, and so much excitement you won't be able to sit still!

You know those questions I mentioned earlier that were left over from Fallen? Well now I have a whole lot more to add to the list. Kate has this brilliant way of just scratching the surface of what's going on, giving you - and Luce - just a glimpse of what is the heart of, well, everything that makes this story, without really answering any questions, yet keeping you turning the pages like your life depended on it. I can't tell you how maddening - in a good way - it is to still not know what's going on! Kate drops hints throughout, and I have my theories, but who knows if they're right? It's just fantastic, I am completely gripped by this story!

We have a few new characters who make an entrance in Torment. Shelby, Luce's roommate at her new school, is great; she's sarcastic, she's a little rough sometimes, but altogether someone you would enjoy being around. Jasmine and Dawn are brilliant, both really sweet and excitable - Dawn especially, just the cutest thing ever. Then there's Miles, the sweetest, loveliest guy! Just adorable! They're all brilliant!

The love between Luce and Daniel is just so wow. I am unable to describe it eloquently. It's this big, wonderful, scary thing that is just overwhelming to read about. It's huge, it's poweful, it's endless - and it's really quite beautiful. Kate's may be some of, if not the best descriptions of all encompassing love I have ever read. It really is amazing how brilliantly Kate puts something so undescribable into words. It's one of the things that makes me love this series so much; not only is the plot exciting and intriguing, the love is just so real it's almost palpable.

The main action, like in Fallen, comes right at the end. There are smaller action scenes throughout the book, but the main event is towards the very end. Luce gets to see more this time round than in Fallen, and it's just awesome to see the angels at work. Really impressive, really exciting, really worrying! I loved it!

The ending! Oh my god, the ending! Such a cliffhanger, with all those added questions! I am dying to find out what will happen, but the next book in the series, Passion, who's publication date is yet to be announced, covers Luce's past lives, so is more of a prequel than a sequel. I cannot wait for the next two books, the wait for them is going to be torture! If you haven't already, you really need to start this series, it's so far beyond amazing there are no words!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you loved Fallen, you'll love this, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Torment (Fallen) (Paperback)
In Torment, we trade the heady atmosphere of the Georgia heat for the beautiful California coast. The narrative picks us up where Fallen left off, whisks us away from the familiar and sets us down in a whole new setting. Where Fallen saw Luce resident at the oppressive Sword and Cross reform school, in Torment she's packed off to the luxurious Shoreline, where the 'gifted' - nephilim - students follow their own special curriculum, and breakfast orders are served on the terrace. Despite the initial sense of disorientation, this relocation gives Luce - and the reader - a whole new environment to explore. There are new teachers in the form of Francesca and Simon, fallen angels from opposing factions who are also an item. And there are also new classmates for Luce, most notably her spirited tough-cookie of a roommate, Shelby, and dependable Miles, who is sweet as hell. As one half of an almost mythological love story among nephilim, Luce is not only counted among the 'gifted' and enrolled in their classes - she's also something of a curiosity, and not entirely comfortable with it.

What she's also not entirely comfortable with is Daniel's absence. Because after delivering her to Shoreline, he makes himself scarce for reasons he can't quite explain to Luce - after all, if she hears about anything relating to their past from him, she'll spontaneously combust. She has to discover the truth for herself, and that's easier said that done. As in Fallen, Luce's progress in uncovering secrets is often slow - and for me, her attempts to find out about her past lives are both the most fascinating part of Torment, and the most frustrating. While Luce does discover her own ingenious way of looking into her history, it's also highly dangerous, and she's only ever able to uncover tiny morsels of tantalising buried past at a time. Not knowing that outside Shoreline, deadly Outcasts are gunning for her, she does seem to have developed an exasperating habit of straying into the path of trouble. But when nobody will tell her what the heck is going on, who can blame the girl?

With all this going on, it's not surprising that Luce begins to question her connection with Daniel. Unlike many YA paranormal romances, where the heroine seems ready to accept her beloved's flaws without question, Torment is a book that portrays the true complexity of relationships - despite the fact its central couple aren't exactly your regular girl and boy-next-door. Not only does she object to Daniel leaving her at Shoreline without him, but she's indignant at his assumption that he knows her better than she knows herself - especially when, as a teen in this lifetime, she's still finding out who she is herself. Can she even trust what Daniel has told her? And is her destiny really fixed with him? While the romantically-inclined reader will probably be shouting 'yes!' at the pages as they turn them, it's refreshing to see a YA paranormal heroine endeavouring to reach her own conclusions and trying to find a balance between being with her soulmate and holding onto her own identity.

As you read Torment, it's clear that this is but one chapter in what's shaping up to be an epic story. The grand scale; the sense that even the tiniest detail may later prove to be of the utmost importance; the fact that every time one of our questions is answered we find ourselves compelled to ask another. The secondary characters lend a little quirkiness and humour to proceedings, although with a cast this large it's sometimes a little difficult to keep track of which is which - and what side of the celestial war they're fighting for. I'd recommend this to all those dedicated fans of YA paranormal romance who appreciate a tantalising slow-burner of a storyline - this one has an explosive conclusion, and will leave readers desperate to find out what happens next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as 'Fallen', 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: Torment (Fallen) (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book, the author has created a believable conflict between the two types of angels and then thrown poor Luce into the middle. Carrying straight on from the previous novel this book focuses a lot on Luce trying to get to grips with events both recent and from her past lives. She rightly begins to have mixed feelings over Daniel, how does she know that what he's told her is the truth? However like other reviewers have said she does at times come across petulant and whiny, considering what she is trying to get her head round I am giving Luce the benefit of the doubt as perhaps most people would feel confused. There were some lovely written, well thought out scenes to this book and I am interested to see the direction that the next instalment takes. It wasn't quite as gripping as 'Fallen' but that is in part that Luce has already discovered the angels so there is less mystery. If you enjoyed 'Fallen' I would expect you'll like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series (Paperback)
I read this book after trying to give the fallen series a second chance. The first book I absolutely loathed and only read this book trying to gain answers to the many question fallen had left me with, now I really wished I hadn't bothered. No questions what so ever were answered and I was only left asking more. I didn't really understand the point of this book as nothing really happened, Cam and Daniel made brief appearances and when I say brief I mean I don't know why she bothered at all. Luce... my god I really don't like that girl so I'm not even going to got there. The only time something actually started to happen was right at then end of the book and I mean the last few pages of the book and then BAM! another cliffhanger! Doing it once is one thing but twice! I do not plan on ever reading the second book as I don't want to waste any more precious moments of my life. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK OR THE SERIES!!!

If you want a good fallen angel series read Becca Fitzpatrick's 'Hush, Hush' series which is amazing!

Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series
Torment: Book 2 of the Fallen Series by Lauren Kate (Paperback - 31 Mar 2011)
5.24