Format: PaperbackChange

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I opted to check Fallen out, I did so believing it was going to be a straightforward dark fantasy adventure. Then I started reading it and began to cringe. I'd picked up a teenage romance novel (admittedly not my first choice of genre) or so I thought.

The one thing reading Fallen has taught me (and this should apply to all readers), it's that one should never underestimate a book. Because it's greatest power is always that it can surprise you. And that's what Lauren Kate has done with her (quite frankly) enthralling read.

Fallen focuses on one Lucinda Price, a narcissist teenager with a horrific past. Lucinda has been sent off by her parents to Sword & Cross reform school. Immediately, Luce finds herself struggling to fit in with the strict regime of the school, as well as trying to find her place among all the other misfits she's landed up with. And to cap it all off, Luce is head-over-heels in love with Daniel Grigori, a distant, cold teenager who couldn't care less about her.

It may sound so simple, but like epics such as The Gargoyle (Andrew Davidson), The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) and The Kin (Gillian Wallace), Fallen becomes so much than its premise implies. And that's because of how Lauren guides her story.

There is a plot to Fallen, but it doesn't come into play until the last few chapters. The majority of the book is purely character-driven, with Kate keeping the primary focus on Luce and chronicling her struggles to adapt and survive in the harsh environment of Sword & Cross. Then the author throws the characters (one-by-one) into the mix, and before long, you witness a colourful cast germinate and interact before you.

It's certainly a creative way of establishing all the characters before getting into the thick of things. In the long term, it's a wise course of action as well, as the Fallen series is planned to span across four books. So if we're going to go on a long journey, we want to get to know, love and hate all the protagonists/antagonists.

Throughout the novel, many supernatural elements are touched upon and hinted at, but it isn't until the final chapters when the whole complexity of Fallen changes entirely. Revelations and plot twists kick in and will shock you to the core. And there's nothing cheap about any of it, because the whole read is just wonderfully paced and builds-up to a rip-roaring climax that will leave you hungering for more.

Lauren Kate has certainly gotten her Fallen series off to a strong start. She certainly has a strong understanding of character. Time will tell if her plotting can pay off. I'm certainly intrigued to find out more after such a strong start. Highly recommended.
on 22 October 2011
I only picked up this book for a quick read, as I didn't realise there are two more in the series. After reading a few of the early chapters, I decided to look at the reviews to see what others thought of the story and from the 3 and a half star average rating, I was a little worried I wouldn't like this book. But surprisingly enough, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a bit typical and similar to the other fantasy romances there are at the moment, but I think that Fallen is still unique in it's own way, and is a book with a treasure inside. I felt a rollercoaster of emotions as I read, and I got the shivers everytime there was a romantic part :)

For me, Fallen was everything it claimed to be. It was thrilling, and the forbidden love is heart-breaking and the characters were all so alive. I found myself thinking of the story wherever I went; being in town in shops and suddenly remembering Cam's sweetness and Daniel's rejection. If a story can do so much as to fill up your conscious mind, then I'm sure it's a powerful one.

I am definitely not disappointed in reading this, and I'm looking forward to Torment. To those of you who are unsure of reading this book, try it out 'cause there's always the chance you'll love it as much as I did.
on 15 April 2011
Fallen was one of the first books i read after the twilight series and it has blown those books out of the water.

It all starts with one troubled teen, Lucinda price (Luce) who is sent to a reform school called Sword & Cross. She was sent there when her boyfriend was killed in a freak fire and all evidence pointed towards her. Once there she meets Arrianne, a energetic and slightly crazy girl who has also been sent to S&C and is friends with the elusive daniel. As soon as Luce meets Daniel she feels like she has met him before, but has she...

I won't tell your more you'll have to find ou tfor yourself but i would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good puzzle to figure out and who loves a surprise ending.

The amazing thing about this book is it describes the difficulty of forgetting your past beautifully and makes the characters believable. It makes you feel for them when they are having trouble or are happy. But it also includes a gripping end that leads into the next book and makes you want to read on.

Hopefully this will be one of the best books You've ever read.
on 31 March 2012
I am a twilight fan and this was the first paranormal romance i read afterwords. I havnt compared it to twilight as its a book in its own right.
Im prob a bit older than intended audience (im 22) but i loved it, and i didnt feel too old for it.

The characters are likable and interesting, it can take a chapter or so to get into it, i was thinking in the first chapter i wouldn't like it, however it drew me in and and i couldn't put the book down again....i carried it around with me reading lines when ever i could.

The story is sown up and all the mystery is all brought together at the end which gives a great and full ending to the book which i feel many books lack.

I wish it had a little more romance in it though!

This is the first in the series and its incredibly captivating book. It has romance, mystery and twists. It a nice read.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good paranormal romance novel!

Please rate my review as helpful :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2012
I was captivated by the beautiful and Gothic cover, as most were of this book. I had brought it a few months ago and have only just read it - finished it within the last hour. So the story is still swimming within my mind. I'm quite a fair reviewer, so I will plainly tell you what is right and what is wrong with this novel in all honestly - with spoilers. This is my own personal judgement; read it for yourself before agreeing or disagreeing.

The plot of the books is very vivid and profoundly enthralling, with the mysterious Daniel alluring Luce; the setting is also built and constructively develops over the course of the book and I applaud Lauren Kate for introducing a different approach to setting - a dirty, worn out and dingy reform school. I take the 'girl meets boy and instantly attracted to him' with a pinch of salt, but I was quite surprised by the developing relationship of Cam, another boy in Swords and Cross, and how Luce is to decide over who to forever love - a gut feeling of knowing she's seen Daniel before, heck, even loved him before. However I thought that the past lives were more interesting than this life of Daniel and Luce and would have preferred some more exploration into it - I would have LOVED to have read their past doomed love episodes, like the prologue, unlike the 'shadows', in which their mentioning was often repetitive.

The writing on the other hand was a drab, like a quickly written book and I only pursued through the book to write a review on it and another reason (explained later on). I was disappointed at the level of writing skill that is shown in the novel and I found myself often re-reading lines because they were so simple and bland that I ventured off course and developed my own interpretation of the story. The invigorating story line was the one of two things that kept me reading - that and the latter I've already mentioned. I even mentioned to my cousin (who had asked what I was reading) that it was a good story-lined book, yet the writing was similar to "Twilight", something I should not have done because I feel as if Twilight had more of a flow. I know I should not compare and contrast, but we all do it, even the media, so I compared this with Twilight. Perhaps it was a good thing (how big Twilight has become), or a bad thing (how people claim that Twilight is awful). But I do know that if they ever make a movie out of this books, I sure will see it because I would probably prefer the adaptation as I wouldn't have to read the dreary writing.

I also found that the ending was cut short WAY to soon. I will have to read the next novel in the series soon, just because I do want to know what happens to Luce and Daniel, but I feel as if the novel's climax was small and uninteresting simply because the 'war' was not really covered and Miss Sophia's wildness happened to climb out of nowhere. I also loved how the deaths within the story were emphasised, contrasting with Daniel's immortality and the angels forever-living taboo, and I even loved how Penn was never miraculously revived, even though I loved her as a character.

A well rounded novel, badly written but not enough to keep me from reading.
on 31 March 2011
Lucinda Price, or Luce as she's better known, has been sent to Sword & Cross, a reform school, after an accident where the first boy she kisses, Trevor, burns up and turns to ash. Though not directly said, it's implied that everyone thinks Luce has something to do with it.

At Sword & Cross she struggles to try and come to terms with what's happening to her, in terms of the accident with Trevor, her lifetime of seeing "shadows", and trying to find her place at Sword & Cross.

Lauren Kate deals with these feelings of Luce trying to find herself in good solid prose and highlights Luce's isolation by juxtaposing her against characters like Arriane, who is lively, funny and seems to fit right in with the strange student body at Sword & Cross.

The romance between Luce and Daniel is well paced, although you do sometimes wonder why she's keep pursuing him despite his rebuffs, and it is a little bit obvious that her other love interest, Cam, is a bit too perfect and has an agenda. However, it only seems that way because as the reader, we already have an idea of what is going on.

The dark romance that underlies the whole novel is kept from being too self involved with more general interactions that would happen at a school. But as the romance unravels the book starts to go deeper into the story between Luce and Daniel and the surrounding characters. As parts of Luce's life start to fall into place, with some tragic consequences, it picks up the dreamy, but compelling, pace in the rest of the novel.

Really this story is a foundation for the relationship between Luce and Daniel and, so don't expect too much in terms of revelations as there are three other books that will no doubt answer the questions you'll have when you finishing reading it, but Lauren Kate teases enough into Fallen to build the tension and keep things interesting.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 February 2010
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love the concept of fallen angels walking the earth and interacting with an oblivious human race, so had high hopes for "Fallen". The setting of a reform school is interesting; with the resulting ingenious ways the pupils attempt to outwit the security measures in place, whilst the bordering cemetery where some significant events take place plus the dark shadows heroine Lucinda "Luce" is able to see lend a dark gothic air to a modern setting.

Luce has just entered reform school Sword and Cross after she is unable to give a suitable explanation as to why her then boyfriend burned to death. She feels an immediate connection to fellow pupil Daniel yet he seems to dislike her; whilst another boy Cam makes his interest in Luce all too obvious. Soon murder and mayhem surround this trio and other pupils as Luce struggles to uncover her connection to Daniel.

I had several big problems with this book. The first was how slow moving it was; leaving me feeling this 450 page laborious read could have been a fast paced, energetic 300 page read instead. My second big issue was with Luce herself; for a leading lady she left a lot to be desired. Her embarrassing behaviour (when stalking Daniel), her overwhelming self involvement (I feel this connection to Daniel so he MUST feel it too), her inability to resolve the situations she finds herself in (just one little kiss from Cam won't hurt even though I'm not interested) all highlight the actions of a teenage girl completely wrapped up in her own world with no other concerns than her obsessive pursuit of a boy who initially shows no obvious interest in her. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh considering I'm easily over twice the age of the target market of this book, but throughout I was left thinking how immature Luce was; especially in comparison to the more "street wise" pupils housed with her at Sword and Cross. Lastly there are plenty of unanswered questions left following the final climatic chapters, but then this is a handy plot device to ensure those that did enjoy this book will also purchase the sequel "Torment" due for publication in Sept 2010.
on 24 February 2011
when i got fallen i was atached to it on the first page its my deffanition of a page turner.If you where a twi-hard like me then you will forget that and become a ummm ... (no name is called for a fallen fan yet but i call it fallen angel).Any way the book is filled with exitment on every page just when you get bored somthing exiting happenes and you carried on reading i could not put it down the way that lauren kate described luce's suroundings is amazing . the plot is very facinating its about a 17 year old girl who just went to a reform school after a tragic death of her boyfriend witch was faut to be caused by her and in the reform school she fell in love with a boy named daniel who couldent care less about her and then she discovers who he is and there historie thats all i can tell you because if i said any more it will ruin the story.As for daniel he is so cool i have a crush on him (i dont know why) any way my favorite charector is arriane and i recamend this book to all of you ! .the book is desighned for teens but i dont know why bieng a tween makes it more exiting but any who i dont know a better story and it has a great amount of vilents witchis like exiting sutchas 2.cut frote deaths 3.fights 4.exiting description

so read this book if you wanto a definition of a real book
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 February 2010
Comparisons with Twilight are inevitable but I feel this is far better, less prosaic, and far more atmospheric than the Meyer books (which I like). The choice to write this in the third person pays off as it becomes less like a teen's diary and much more of a proper novel complete with descriptions of the decayed environment.

The subtle insertions of biblical and literary allusions to Paradise Lost, Dante, etc are done well - no neon, flashing-light signposting. But at heart this works because I believed in the emotions between the characters, primarily Luce and Daniel. Having a past history made far more sense that the instant love between Bella and Edward, and here I felt the angst that makes this so delicious was both palpable and understandable.

Others have complained about the holey plot and lack of background explanation, but I felt that made this stronger, and that the slightly enigmatic air about the whole things adds a layer of strangeness, almost surreal, that works well.

I wish I hadn't read the Amazon reviews in advance as I feel they give away far too much of the plot so if you haven't read this yet I would dive straight into the book.

I loved this and can't wait to read the sequel.
on 9 March 2011
Lucinda's just been enrolled at a reform school, only she doesn't belong with the other kids and hasn't done anything wrong. Her parents think she may have mental health issues, even though she tells them that the childhood shadows she always saw following her no longer exist. Only thing is, the shadows are very much there - they were there the night Trevor died and though she remembers nothing of what happened to him many still see her as a suspect.

The other kids at Sword and Cross Reform School are a motley bunch of new offenders and reoffenders - except Penn. Penn has a different story - all the kids here have a story, but the only story Lucinda's interested in is Daniel's. From the moment Lucinda first sees Daniel she feels as though they know eachother and she feels that they share a why is he one of the people whose most hostile toward her? Another boy is so much more attentive to Lucinda and at first she's grateful to have someone who seems to care. Only Cam isn't Daniel, even though being with him sometimes makes her wonder why she doesn't just give the guy a break.

The author's writing is wonderfully descriptive. It was easy to picture what all the people in this book looked and acted like. I could imagine the way the reform school and practically smell the swampiness of the surrounding area.

My main gripe about this book is the pacing. For a while we were gently moving along - at first I thought it was too slow, but then I settled down - when all of a sudden Cam acts as a catalyst that sees a major battle between the 'kind of, sort of good' and the 'downright evil' being played out. Then the action was over in an instant and we have the epilogue that prepares the way for the sequel... No. I wasn't happy with the pacing at all.

I liked the 'Fallen Angel' element. Which of the reform kids or faculty are human and who's a little more than they first appear to be?