5.0 out of 5 stars A great whole class read
On recommendation from a girl in my Year 5 class, we have been reading this book as our whole class story. It has been a while since I have come across a new book that I have enjoyed as much as (if not more than) the children.

Published on 17 Jun. 2011 by Laura Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars small change for stuart three stars
It was an okay book but I wouldn't really recommened it to anyone else as they may feel disappointed that it isn't a good as they would hope.
Published on 16 Jan. 2013 by Julie Thompson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great whole class read, 17 Jun. 2011

The characterization in the story is brilliant and we have enjoyed some lively discussions about all of the characters. I particularly liked Stuart's father, who speaks as if he has swallowed a dictionary much to Stuart's frustration; and the annoying triplets who live next to Stuart and simply cannot mind their own business!

The story moves at quite a fast pace so that there is never a dull moment. It has really engaged the children.

This will definitely be on my list of books to read to the my next class in September!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and exciting - I loved it!!!, 2 Jun. 2011
(written by Dora - my 9 year old daughter)
I really loved this story because it is an unusual type of book, packed with adventure and mystery.
The main character, Stuart Horten, finds himself on a wonderfully magic trail because of his long lost Great Uncle, Teeny Tiny Tony Horten.
When Stuart moves into a new town with his Mum & Dad everything seems really boring until his new neighbours, 3 identical triplets, start chasing him round the town. This book is full of suspense, wonder and intrigue, but is also VERY FUNNY.
I would really recommend this book

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful magical adventure for the Young Reader, 6 May 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For me, a book for the younger reader has to do a number of things, first of all it has to not only entertain but it also has to have a journey as well as allow the reader to not only discover something about the characters involved but find a little piece of them within themselves. What Lissa manages to do in this title is bring a whole host of interesting characters to the fore with a lead that who, whilst he isn't the biggest or the strongest, has the smarts to help solve the myriad of clues left by his great uncle and turns what would be a mundane and humdrum summer into something spectacular.

All in, the title is well written, has great prose and some wonderful puzzles that will occupy as well as entertain the reader. Add to this the fact that its unpredictable and the reader really does have a treat in store. One of my top fiction titles for the year to date, and as such a title that really must be enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, funny and inventive, 6 Dec. 2011
A captivating voice from the opening few lines and holds the attention without ever seeming to try too hard. The characters feel fresh and original and the intriguing plot fairly zings along with plenty of inventive twists but without ever losing its credibility and charm. Lively dialogue and a great sense of 'small town' place too. Should appeal to a wide range of younger (and older) readers and the hardback edition is a thing of beauty to hold (not one to buy on the Kindle!)- a goodie for Christmas.
A great first outing and certainly an author to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much enjoyed by my daughter, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Small Change for Stuart (Paperback)
My daughter age 10 read this book earlier this year on the recommendation of our local book shop owner. She read it right through, only stopping to eat and sleep! She said it was very interesting and she would like to read it again. She enjoyed the mystery element to the book and having to read on to find out more. We have just ordered it for her cousin's tenth birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars small change is worth more than a threepenny!, 17 April 2012
i had a choice of books to read for the carmegie shadowing site,and i chose this book because,although i am a lot older than eight i thought that as harry potter was meant for younger readers it didnt mean it was not fantastic for all ages. and i was right! small change is an excellent book which i thought was quick with the plot, only a little to coincidental at times-some of the ways stuart found things were a bit to unlikely-like walking into grave street just as he was thinking about gravest flate(though i do like the idea of a misspelt gravest fate as a pun!) ad the first number he tryed in the safe being the correct one. hpever overall this book was fast paced and full of suspense-but as i read this in about an hour and a half it would hve been nice to have been a bit longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful mystery with a dash of magic, 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Small Change for Stuart (Paperback)
Such a delightful adventure! Despite having a pressing deadlines to meet, once I started reading I couldn't stop following vertically challenged Stuart Horten (S. Horten ... get it?) as he solved the increasingly intriguing puzzle left by his famous magician uncle for the 'right boy to solve'. I was amazed and amused by every twist and turn of the plot. Lissa Evans' deadpan sense of humour and cheerfully odd characterization had me chuckling and cheering. There is an element of deus ex machina in the plotting but Evans' clever writing weaves it into the magic that brings the story to its satisfying conclusion. Wonderful!

P.S. Somehow the title 'Small Change for Stuart' doesn't do justice to the story - it should really have 'Magical Mystery' or 'Puzzle' in the title because that's what it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive and engaging, 6 Jan. 2012
I recently bought this book for my niece and although we haven't started reading it together yet I started reading the first couple of pages to see what I thought and i couldn't put it down. THe style is very accessible and likeable. The characters are engaging and interesting. I especially liked the triplets! The writing style is very humorous and the story is never dull. Perfect for young children. I really enjoyed it and the book itself is very pretty. The little puzzles are perfect for young children as they can try and work things out with Stuart. All in all a pleasure to read. Now hopefully my nieces will enjoy it just as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book - will become a modern classic, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Small Change for Stuart (Paperback)
My children (aged 9 and 11), I and my 93 year old mother have all LOVED this book. We discovered it through a local reading group and have all been enthralled. The pace is cracking, the characters well drawn and extremely funny, the plot genuinely exciting, the cliffhangers tense, and the ending ...! I think my children have found it more exciting than funny, while my mother and I have been falling about laughing. Stuart's father is particularly well drawn - we loved his use of language! This is a stunning book for the 8-12 age range; I can't recommend it too strongly and am longing to see what the author writes next!

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical mystery!, 19 July 2011
This review is by my 10 year old daughter, Maria.

This story is about a boy called Stuart. He's a little small for a ten year old, but that doesn't matter. His family decide to move house, thinking that it would be fun for Stuart. They move to Beeton, the home town of Stuart's father and begin a magical mystery that changes Stuart's life, forever.
My favourite characters are the triplets, April, May and June. May and June are giggly girls, both taller than Stuart, who have an irritating habit of laughing at things they shouldn't laugh at. April is a smart girl who is always prepared and never does anything without thinking through the consequences properly, in case something goes wrong. She is prepared to do anything for a friend in need.

I have read hundreds of books and, personally, I think that this one is the best book in the world. I recommend it to children who enjoy a bit of everything.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Small Change for Stuart
Small Change for Stuart by Lissa Evans (Paperback - 26 April 2012)