VINE VOICEon 1 March 2005
My children and I love this book - its such a simple concept but I haven't seen any other book trying to do the same thing. There's no story as such - instead the reader picks from double page spreads packed with choices who they'd like to be, where they'd like to live and what they'd dress in, eat and do. There are endless possibilities. You can do the book quickly or really take your time as there are so many options to spot - and there's plenty of room for amusement when the two-year old terror chooses a sister that's a witch, Father Christmas for mummy and dresses daddy in a fairy costume to climb into bed with a wolf. Though of course the child can follow a more everyday route through the book. This is a book to grow with children inspiring them to make up their own stories in many different ways and settings. Fantastic!
on 19 August 2006
Our 5 year old daughter has hardly put this book down since choosing it from a book shop 3 weeks ago. Great for make-believe and imagination - she loves to pretend to be different characters and choose houses, clothes, friends, pets, jobs etc accordingly. She encourages everyone she meets from age 2 to 90 (just about) to share the book with her and choose what they would like to be and do. The illustrations are bright and colourful and great for vocabulary building and just for fun too!
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2005
You Choose is one of the best children's books I have ever seen. It allows young children to interact at story time from a very early age and has allowed me to read one "story" to all my children at once - all four are under 5. They can each take turns at choosing an item on each page and then you can get them to describe it - helping them to develop their vocabulary in an extremely fun way. Each page is crammed with images - all different and all with a story that you could tell about each one. You can spend a few minutes at bed time with it or hours if you have the energy and patience. My 3 and 4 year old also love to just sit and pour over all the pictures and make up stories associated with each one. It is trully fabulous.
on 12 March 2007
My 2 year old got given this book by a friend. So many hours were spent going through this book, from places her would go, where he would live, what he would eat and who his favourite animal is. The book was so well loved, that this is my second copy after the first one wore out! My sons vocab has improved so much and knows words and recognises things that older kids in his nursery class don't. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2006
My 2yr old son got this book at Xmas, and LOVES it so much. It's a really great idea for a book. I've even bought a couple more to give as presents. Well recommended.
on 11 March 2006
A friend of mine, who reads this book with her three year old daughter, suggested it for sharing with the children who I work with. They have low self esteem and suffer from emotional problems. It is a new way for them to share with me their views on what they would like to change in their lives or how they would like things to be.I can read it with all of the children from 4-13 and I am sure they will all benefit greatly as will my team.
on 28 February 2008
If I had to take just one children's book to a desert island - always assuming there were children on the island, of course - then it would be "You Choose". It seems to suit all ages and both sexes, and is endlessly popular. It simply consists of double page spreads illustrating the kind of things you would like in your life. The kind of clothes you wear, the kind of transport you like, the kind of family you want, the kind of food you like to eat, the kind of job you want, the kind of scenery that appeals to you .... it's all here, and children absolutely love to put together their own portfolios (constantly changing) of how they want to be, and the sort of person they are. I am not always a fan of illustrator Nick Sharratt, as I find his work a bit over simplified sometimes - but he comes up trumps here. His pictures are clear and bright, clever and imaginative. I just can't fault "You Choose" !
on 7 April 2008
My 5 year old was given this book as part of her 'bookstart' pack, almost a year ago. She really enjoyed it as it encourages children to use their imagination and create their own story.
Now my 2 year old has become hooked and she has to read it EVERY NIGHT before she goes to sleep....needless to say its rather dog eared now!
if we ever lost this book there would be an uproar.
i thoroughly recommend this book to anyone :-)
on 26 May 2004
My two little girls (aged 3 and 6) love this book. We read it almost everynight. The 3 year old also spends a lot of time looking at it by herself as there aren't many words. The book itself is a large picture book, so it is easy to read to both of them. The book starts off with asking where do you want to live and has a full two pages of options, drawn flowing from one habitat to another(from jungle to waterfalls, country, city, beach etc) The art work is simple black line drawings filled in with bold color. Each page then goes on to let the kids choose their friends and family(from many diverse pictures in frames) and choose where to live(again a wide range of choices), what to wear, eat and drive. It is a great book and I highly recomend it!
on 9 June 2008
A few friends recommended this book to me. I was slightly dubious as to whether my children would get much out of it - they are the sort of children who normally pick exactly the same things when given a choice, who always want to be the same thing when they grow up (an artist and a fireman!) and are quite fixed in their opinions. However I did buy the book and it has proved a real hit. Both of them (daughter aged 5 and son aged 3.5) love it and ask for it most nights at bedtime. They also read it together when there isn't an adult free and it has kept us going through several long car journeys. They are always discovering new and interesting pictures and creating new scenarios. I have put it on my list of great presents to give to children between 2 and 5!