Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2013
I did like this book I was quite sad when it was over. I started these books so that my daughter and I could read together but I quickly completed them all and she is waiting for the film!!!??? (I'm hoping this phase will pass)
on 21 January 2015
I absolutely ADORE the 'Noughts and Crosses' series, thus, I was very excited to read the conclusion to the series. I liked it because it dealt with serious issues and I just love Malorie Blackman's style of writing, I find it to be profoundly absorbing. However, I disliked the book because it didn't follow the switch-between-lots-of-different-characters-so-you-understand-various-points-of-view structure of the previous books, which was disappointing. I mean, sure, it was a bit switchy near the beginning but then- Spoiler Alert - Callie Rose falls into a coma for, like, the rest of the book, so from then on, Tobey tells the whole story. I didn't like this because I did not identify with him at all, and at times, found his narrative downright dull. The novel did not deal with sensitive issues like the other books, but rather, was almost entirley focused on violence and guns, which I felt appealed to a more male audience, but it didn't appeal to me. All in all, a slightly disappointing ending to a brilliant series.
on 19 January 2016
This book is amazing. Though I think there should have been more of the usual character Sophie. Is quite graphic in some places but it also hooks you more into the book. Overall another brilliant book from malorie.
on 27 August 2013
AMAZING!! Just like all the others... its so gripping in places.. i would definitely recommend this book but read the others first.. :) the last chapter you wont be able to put down its so gripping.. :)
on 29 December 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book.Now,I have read all the Noughts&Crosses seried books and think that this one is potentially the best mainly because is has the type of ending all the character's desired for.I just wish that she would have made the book last longer like checkmate seeing as it was the conclusion to the series.If she did she did she could have had inserted more information of what happened in the future for Callies and Tobby.However in the whole the whole series has been the most suspenseful,gripping and enjoyable books I have read.Well done Malorie Blackman xx
on 21 November 2008
I have wanted there to be a further book in the Noughts and Crosses saga since I finished Checkmate. I always wanted to know for sure Callie and Toby were going to be together.

This book picks up a few weeks after the ending of Checkmate and follows Toby and Callie through some tough times. Having had nothing from Toby's persective before, it was really interesting learning more about him and finding things about him I wouldn't have guessed from Callie's view of him in Checkmate. As with the pervious books, you are really drawn in to the characters world and feel the ups and downs with them, understanding how they end up in the bad situations they do. Most of this book is from Toby's persective as you see him stuggling to accept that he's still seen as lower class and has no money for the things he wants (like college) because of it. The effects that has on his relationship with Callie, and most importantly how he views himself at the end of it all.

Really heartfelt, lots of twists and turns. Places you wouldn't expect it to go, yet is completely believeable. Despite being set in an alteritive world most of it is still possible, and present, in our world. Still makes you stop and think about things as the previous books have done without stopping it from being a great read. Highly recommend the whole series to anyone, teens and adults alike, as I think there is a lot that can be learned from them. Great book.
on 1 April 2015
i really enjoyed this book(even though it wasnt really connected to the other ones.)but the problem is theres too much tobey and i miss sephy she was my favourite charater.she was much better than boring tobey.i remember in checkmate, callie told him thaf and i thought she was totally right.I MISS SEPHY AND OTHER PEOPLES POINT OF VIEW
on 28 January 2014
This book was a great end to the series. It tied up all the ends in a lovely bow. The only thing is the main plot line (Whites being inferior to Blacks) wasn't so prominent and that, for me, was too much of a brilliant plot to change so dramatically. But fantastic book!
on 9 November 2008
For all Malorie Blackman fans out there this certainly exceeds all expectations, a review does it no justice!
The reader is bought on Callie and Tobeys journey one which you don't want to end, but like all things it must.
Your left realing and trying to guess what happens next but like all good authors Blackman continuees to push boundaires and surprise the reader.
Although beautifully finished I'm hoping this isn't the last, say it isn't so!
on 6 September 2014
I would recommend this book to all girls 11+. I chose this rating because it was really THE BEST BOOK EVER! it was just my kinda book that includes violence and love. I would buy this book if I were u if u are into these things. ;-)