5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I'm nearly 16 and I still can't bring myself to pass by a Jacqueline Wilson book, so the second I saw Dustin Baby I bought it.
Published on 1 Dec 2001 by Claire Hennessy

1.0 out of 5 stars Dysfunction and sadness as entertainment... Not for kids
Jacqueline Wilson is undoubtedly a skilled wordsmith; a lovely fluid style, sophisticated yet accessible, making for a rewarding reading experience.

BUT...

The enduring popularity of gritty misery in popular culture and the ubiquity of the `if-it-bleeds-it-leads' media demonstrates an appetite in society for sadness, dysfunction and tragedy as...
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by Pickerel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Dec 2001
Claire Hennessy (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
On the day of her 14th birthday, April relates the story of her life in and out of various foster homes to the reader while on a search for her real mother, the one who abandoned her in a dustbin. It's a powerful and moving story. April never asks for sympathy or feels sorry for herself, yet she's not noble and determined either. What she is, is a child dealing with the situations she finds herself in realistically and in a way that readers will be able to identify with. The ending is moving - well, I was crying, anyway! - but yet not overly sentimental or cliched.
Parents, buy a copy for your child. And then another for yourself. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartfelt story about girl trying to trace her past!!!, 5 May 2002
April was dumped in a dustbin as a baby,her birthday is April the 1st so on that day she decides to visit some of the people she remebers from her past. Its very emotional as soon as I saw it in the shops it was an oppourtunity I could'nt miss. She also tries to tract down her mother whom she hasn't sean in 14 years. She finds out the family shes got at the moment is perfect!!!!!!!Its is a good read for girls over the age of 11!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Jacqueline Wilson's best books yet., 5 Oct 2001
By A Customer
The story is about 15 year old April, who was dumped in a dustbin by her mother when she was born. She takes a day off school to try and find her biological mother, ands also all the foster mothers she has been placed with since she was born.
She has no luck, but along the way she finds Frankie, the man who found her in the dustbin. She makes a new friend, and meets an old one along the way.
I have read all Jacqueline Wilson's books and this rates among the best. I couldn't put it down and read it in two days. I would recommend it to any J.W. fans out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Jacquelin Wilson book I have ever read., 22 Oct 2001
Mrs S Carter (Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this book for my birthday and it was one of the best present I recieved. It is about a girl who was dumped in a dustbin when she was only a few hours old. The book starts with April's birthday and she feels sad because that day 14 years ago she was dumped in a dustbin. She decides to go on a quest to find her real mother. She starts by bunking off school and tries to find all the other carers who fostered her. She then decides to go to the place she was dumped and oddly there is a message for her saying 'Please call baby' with a phone number. When she rings it she finds it is the person who found her 14 years ago. When April rings the number she finds the person is a man named Freddy and they arrange to meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Rating, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dustbin Baby (Kindle Edition)
I loved the whole story.It was such a good book by Jacqueline Wilson. The best bit is when April finds Frankie and Tanya.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dustbin Baby (Kindle Edition)
THIS BOOK WAS SAD I ENJOYED IT A LOT AND IS FINE FOR 10+ THIS BOOK IS A BOOK WHICH I COULD RELATE TO AND THINK THIS BOOK SHOULD BE READ

5.0 out of 5 stars Dustbin Baby is NOT rubbish!!!, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Dustbin Baby (Paperback)
My daugher is 8 years old - here is her review....I thought that this book was quite grown up. I really liked it because it was kind of like a Tracey Beaker story - fun, mysterious and difficult problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dustbin Baby is such a sad, touching story; I cried!, 23 Dec 2008
This review is from: Dustbin Baby (Paperback)
'Dustbin Baby' is such a good but sad, touching and stressing story.

It is about a girl called April who was found, when she was just born, in a dustbin. She grew up, switching between loads of different homes, whether they were foster/care homes or actual foster parents' homes. She never had a proper home, apart from when she had a foster Mum and a foster Dad. They all got on, but then one day the Dad was shouting at the Mum. He packed his bags, and then left home. The mum was ever so distraught and stressed. All she did all day was cry and cry, but then one day she went in the bathroom, and locked the door. She was in there for hours and hours, leaving the 3 year-old-foster daughter (April) in the house, desperate for the toliet (the bathroom that the foster mum was in was the only bathroom). So April went round to the next door neighbours and used their toliet. The next door neighbours finally went round to April's home and climbed up a ladder and looked through the bathroom window to see why the mum was taking so long. (This is when I cried.). The mum had killed herself.

It is very upsetting, the bit that I have just told you. But do buy this book; it is fascinating, but do not get it if you don't like sad stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dustin Baby, 7 May 2005
This review is from: Dustbin Baby (Paperback)
Dustin Baby is about a girl called April who was dumped in a dustbin at birth and is desperate to trace faces from her troubled past on her birthday. We follow April as she goes to re-visit her past, and learn some surprising facts about the character. This story has a lot of unexpected twists and I was never quite sure what would happen next. Fans of Jacqueline Wilson's other books will notice the return of two familiar characters, Tanya from "Bad Girls" and Elaine (the social worker) from "The Story Of Tracy Beaker" and "The Dare Game". I recommend this book for anyone aged 12+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and Touching, 9 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This is fantastic! I never thought a shopping spree in Cardiff would bring me to such a great book! April looks back on her life, from the time in the dustbin to that day, her 14th birthday, in the care of many people and reflects her feelings at that time. I thought it was great when Tanya (Bad Girls) entered the story and gave advice to April on the search for her past.

Dustbin Baby
Dustbin Baby by Jacqueline Wilson (Paperback - 1 Mar 2007)