Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2013
It's been a while since I sobbed so much! This book wrenches you through a narrative that is beautifully written, but thought provoking too; at times downright painful, as it accurately reflects human nature and our closed minds that constantly needs to create an 'us' and 'them'.

It has echoes of themes from Romeo and Juliet, weaved with To Kill A Mockingbird, but set with new characters. The dual narrative also enables you to understand the characters' inner turmoil, as they race towards an inevitable end.

Read it in two sittings as I just couldn't put it down. I am sure anyone will enjoy this book!
on 15 August 2014
This series is my favourite series I have ever read. Teenagers will love this book because it has a very interesting storyline and it is written from the two main characters perspectives which makes it more engaging. It is about two peoples troubles after the slave trade has been illuminated however Blackman has twisted it so that it is the black race that rules over the whites. The two main characters romantic pathways are not meant to cross but as time moves on things start to get interesting. These books are worth every penny and I assure you that you will not be disappointed and you will not be able to put it down.
on 23 February 2014
Wow!!

Remember reading this book about 10 years ago. It has always stuck with me and I have always remembered it. Reading it again amazed me again and I could not put it down. Cannot wait to read the sequel (again)
on 21 November 2012
I read this as I wanted to help with school homework. It's a good read for adults.It is very thought provoking. I particularly liked the alternative ending. A quick and enjoyable read so long as you don't expect everyone to live 'happily ever after'.
on 12 July 2013
Although much older than the intended teenage audience I found this book could not be put down until it had been finished. The chapters being written from points of view of alternating main characters worked very well.
on 19 March 2014
Review: I had this novel sitting on my shelf for a long time and in the end I decided to borrow the audiobook from the library just so that I could read it on a long car journey I had to make. I have to admit I'd heard a lot of hype about this book and so I was prepared not to like it because I think when books are built up that much, sometimes they can be a total let down, however, I was pleasantly surprised! This book has a wonderful strong message and is so much like real life, I found I really enjoyed it.

The main message of this book is about racial inequality and the different between the noughts (the white people) and the crosses (the black people). It's like the racial war that was being fought by Martin Luther King jr was reversed in this novel, the crosses hold the power and the noughts are not allowed to go to the same schools or have the same jobs as each other. The message shows the reader that dramatic consequences occur when society is allowed to carry on like this. I think this would be an amazing books for teaching in schools about racial inequality and so I can see why Malorie Blackman became the children's laureate.

The characters were interesting, considering the fact that they are teens, they are both really quite strong and both have a wonderful sense of right and wrong. They are not the moany over-analytical teens you sometimes find in YA novels, but have morals and want to change the racial inequality. I found this refreshing and liked both of the main characters. The storyline is fast paced and action packed meaning that you literally don't want to stop reading!

I think that this is the kind of book you could access at any age. It's got such a strong message and such a good storyline, you would enjoy it no matter what direction you were coming from. I think it should be on the English curriculum or the PSHCE curriculum because it is quite simply something that young people should read, especially considering that changes that have occurred in society since Martin Luther King made his famous speech, but the gender inequality that's still exists and the prejudices which are still very much a problem today.
on 1 September 2005
This book is about racism and prejudice of all kinds - it's both entertaining and educational. The writer shows the viewpoint from both sides of the 'fence' and shows why prejudice is a two-way thing that ultimately hurts both sides. Blackman encourages the reader to look at their own attitudes by pointing out things that might never have occurred before (eg - I never thought how plasters are only made in a pinky-white person kind of colour before!) I think that any intelligent person (child or adult) who reads this book will put it down having learnt something about themselves, society and the importance of equality. This is a good book and I can't wait to read the sequel.
on 1 June 2014
Malorie is a very clever and a creative author, there are a few instances in the book that are based on true events that Malorie has actually experienced when she was at school. Really hard to believe I modern day Britain.
Must admit I'm not sure why Malorie has provided an alternative ending, I've decided not to read it and stick with the original story,
on 6 January 2013
I was searching for something to read when my dad came in with a newspaper article about the top books for the year. When i read the description it didn't do it justice, because, i was reluctant to read it. So i read it and it had me immediately gripped. The concept of the story is so cleverly matted out. It tackles hard subjects so i think the way malorie wrote it was very clever, especially with the chapters swapping between the different characters point of view. This was good because we can see from the point of view from a cross and a nought.
Over all i thought this book was amazing!
on 29 May 2013
This is a book which I was told about it was great and I agree but the reason why I did not give it 5stars is it includes inappropriate scenes lots of discrimination and capitalism but leaving out all that it is epic and I would recommend it to anyone over 14 good literacy