4.0 out of 5 stars A Humourous, Light-Hearted Fantasy
The Belgariad series has been one of my favourite reads. I first completed the series in paperback as a teenager when the idea of a boy growing in to an inheritance and going on a quest was very appealing.

Published on 29 Aug. 2011 by Col

3.0 out of 5 stars Castle of wizardry
Couldn't really get into these books. It was more a case of I started so I'll finish. Not the best fantasy books out there. Somehow, it never feels complete, the characters not fully rounded. It lacks the real flowing banter and humour of other authors. Some characters are just irritating and Garion is never allowed to grow up I feel. Just couldn't take to it.
Published on 15 May 2011 by Debs

4.0 out of 5 stars A Humourous, Light-Hearted Fantasy, 29 Aug. 2011

I recently re-read the series as Kindle books and found most of the appeal still there. I say "most" as there were some areas that did not flow the way I had remembered them. For instance the Princess C'Nedra deciding to lead an army in the latter books of the series seemed a little far-fetched given that this character was portrayed as a spoilt child earlier in the series. The motivations of some of the characters also seemed a little single-minded.

One of the main enjoyment factors of the series though was the humour of the narration. This coupled with an easy flow to the story still make it a favourite.

For those wanting a gritty, adult, action fantasy you will be disappointed, but if you like a light, humourous fantasy then this is well recommended.

I have posted this review on all the books in the series as I cannot distinguish between any one of them

4.0 out of 5 stars Tying up some of the loose ends., 15 Nov. 2008
This is the fourth book in the Belgariad (after Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery and Magician's Gambit, and before Enchanter's End Game).

After Ctuchik accidentally destroyed himself in Rak Cthol, the rock pinnacle upon which the city is built has started crumbling on itself and our heroes have to flee through the caves, taking the small boy Errand and the Marag slave woman Taiba with them.

Back on solid ground, they make for Algaria where Hettar is waiting with reinforcements. For that they have to cross the Eastern Escarpment, go down its deep ravines, and the entire Murgo nation is now pursuing them. After his ordeal in Rak Cthol, and protecting his crew from rocks thrown at them for several days, Belgarath collapses.

Yet there is no time to lose, as all protagonists must now converge to the island of Riva, to be there before Erastide in order to fulfill the Prophecy. There both Garion and Ce'Nedra will finally understand their role and embrace their heritage.

But when Garion touches the Orb, the slumbering evil god Torak awakes, and the Prophecy says that Garion is the only one who can confront him, alone. He has no choice but to secretly leave, with just Silk and a recovering Belgarath as company. Meanwhile, Ce' Nedra eavesdrops on the Alorn Kings' discussions and realizes she's the only one who can unite the armies of the West in the oncoming war with the invading Angaraks.

There isn't much to say about this volume which would differ from the previous ones, but it was nice to see some loose ends finally tied up. I enjoyed the flight through the caves of Rak Cthol and the meeting in boggy Sendaria with Vordai and her cute otter-like creatures, the Fenlings. I am now looking forward to reading what lies in store for Garion in the final volume, and also to seeing which hints will be dropped about the sequel, the Malloreon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Castle of Wizardry, 12 July 2014
The companions have retrieved the Orb and are travelling to Riva, to return it to its rightful place. On the journey back, with both Belgarath and Polgara incapacitated, the role of leadership is thrust on Garion, which is made difficult with the Orb fascinated with him. When Garion arrives in Riva, his life changes forever, but Torak is still out there and waking up. Garion discovers he is the only one who can defeat him. With war brewing between the West and the East, Ce'Nedra and Polgara must gather an army to hopefully protect Garion.

Whilst I still really like Castle of Wizardry, I did miss the quest as it was the main plot in the first 3 books, however, it makes up for it with more politics and character growth. The big twist, which I knew from the first book, is revealed, and it really changes the characters and the dynamic of the story.

Garion is more responsible in this book and has to learn how to deal with power and people with different opinions than him, and it is nice to see him change, but I do miss the farm boy a bit. I still like Silk as after everything they have been through during the quest and at Riva he has never treated Garion any differently.

Castle of Wizardry is really good book and I would recommend it to people who enjoyed the first 3 books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good mix of fun and fantasy, 17 Jan. 2013
The story continues in dramatic form with the continued journey of Garion and his unusual family. The characters have developed and grown into mature people who the reader feels they have come to know. The clear and relxed writing style gives the reader the impression that they are part of this band of travellers.
Eddings drawsthe reader into the story, entangling them with the lives and emotions of his characters so that you find yourself wishing them goodluck as you read as if you have some influence over the outcome of their latest trials.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does he do it?, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Belgariad 4: Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad (RHCP)) (Paperback)
Rather than being the fourth novel, this reads like the fourth part in a HUGE novel split in to five: although, out of necessity, it has to stand on its own and has a preface with further expansion on the background to the plot, this volume continues our hero's adventures without a pause. As I said about the previous volume it is a very fast read: I am now on number five, and have ordered Volume 1 of the Mallorean, which is the next series set in the same World, hopefully with the same characters. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, 5 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
After the battle the in Rak Cothol, will they escape the falling city and make it to the Vale of Aldur with Murgos on thier tale? You'll just have to read the book to find out, and this is one hell of a book, will they get to Riva on time? This has got to be one of the best books of the series and the end is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still excellent, 27 Nov. 2014
Both Garion and Ce'Nedra are forced to face up to who they are and responsibilities far beyond their years. Yet again Eddings gives us great adventure (I flew through this just as fast as the previous books) coupled with wonderful insights into people, relationships and how we develop the balance between our inner world and our self-centred view of the world with the outer world and our interactions with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 3 Mar. 2014
I have read the complete Belgariad series more times than I can remember so when I purchased a Kindle I just had to download the series to read on holiday. I love the way the characters are developed and grow up during the five books and the story telling although somewhat predictable is really good. I would definitely recommend the Belgariad series and the follow up series the Malloreon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Castle of wizardry, 15 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far and I love them all, 23 May 2013
Best book of the series to date. The characters grew into themselves, the plot advanced and characters (Garion the protagonist in particular) finally learnt things we have been told in previous books, removing the occasionally annoying need for the character to ask stupid questions.

This book has given me high hopes for the last one.

Belgariad 4: Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad (RHCP))
Belgariad 4: Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad (RHCP)) by David Eddings (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2007)