Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 October 2008
I read this book to my class. They thought the story was excellent. They discussed what they liked about it. Their favourite bit was when Jenny and the other horses blocked the rustlers and stopped them stealing Captain, Ladybird and Herbert. They would definately recommend it to anyone over 5.
on 22 May 2006
My 5 year old daughter has been in love with horses for 3 years, but isn't that mad on girly 'pony princess' stuff. Horse Pie was simple, yet exciting and challenging. Short enough (5 chapters) to read aloud at bedtime, but a gripping story which even had my 3 year old son riveted (especially the mention of a truck!) The book completely held their attention and has been revisited several times. Unfortunately we've now mislaid it, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy another copy - hence this review! We've tried other Dick King-Smith books - some of them are too hard still. Horse Pie was just the right level - thoroughly recommend it.
on 23 May 2011
This book is about a horse called Jenny who lives on a farm in a stable. Jenny is also slower than all the other horses in the group. Jenny meets a donkey called Alfie and they become best friends. In the meadow up the road from Jenny's stable there are lots of dangerous animals and Jenny wants to go and investigate...

We like the bit where Alfie and Jenny become best friends because it made us feel happy inside. We also liked it because the ending turns out differently than what we expected. What happens? You will need to read the book to find out.

We think that any good reader will enjoy this book because the illustrations are brilliant, it's entertaining and very funny!!!

We would give this book 5 out out of 5 because it's an extremely exciting book that you will find hard to put down and it's quite easy to read.

By Chloe, 8 & Katie, 7.
on 27 April 2007
An amazing book about an old donkey. The main character is Sally. It's all about something but will never ever, ever tell you. My favourite part was the extraordinary ending. When you start reading, meet Sally and her brilliant adventures. I loved this book so much I read it three times in one day! This an all round book for everybody.

by Gregory
on 11 March 2014
The main characters are Jenny the donkey and the 3 Clydesdales called captain, ladybird and Herbert.

The Clydesdales did not like Jenny as she was an old donkey and good for nothing - untill she saves their lives.

I liked the bit when Alfie neighed "run for it, they're taking you to France, to make you into horse pie".

I give the book three stars out of 5 and recommend the book to boys and girls aged 6-10.

By Jasmine age 8
on 29 August 2011
my daughter struggles with reading, but managed even the hard words as the story kept her attention, unlike some of the school books. Thank you DKS looking forward to the next one!
on 13 February 2014
great story - well written as usual by Dick King Smith. My six year old daughter and I really enjoyed reading it every night
on 31 March 2014
Excellent quality. As I needed several of these books for a group of children these were ideal and fairly priced.
on 1 May 2015
My six-year-old horse-crazy niece loved this book.
on 26 November 2015
bought as a present but it looks very good to me