Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 2007
I became a fan of Malorie Blackman's writing after reading her Noughts and Crosses Trilogy. I think she is one of very few writers who develops her plot fully and does not rush to finish the book towards the end.

The Deadly Dare mysteries opens with Theo and Ricky having to deal with a new classmate and the dare game she has introduced. Everyone who want to play has to write a dare and place it in a bag. Each participant has to select a dare and perform without telling anyone else.

The second mystery deals with Jade and her recently dead father who is supposedly communicating with her through email while in the third mystery Theo, Ricky and Angela try to uncover the truth about inventor Darius Marriott.

This book is very different from Blackman's previous work in Noughts and Crosses. I found reading the book enjoyable and I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Highly recommended.
on 9 May 2007
This book is extremely good. When I was reading it, I longed to come home from school to find out what happens to Theo and his friends. The Deadly Dare Mysteries demonstrate the true meanings of friendship and loyalty, too.
on 26 September 2013
We are both reading this book at the same time and totally am enjoying the novel. The suspense and built-up of the story are very good. A good early teen reader. Malorie Blackman never fails to deliver.
on 18 March 2012
Honestly couldn't put this book down.

I loved the way the story was written in sections; it felt like I was reading more books! The plot is so exciting and not a minute went by where I was bored.

Definitely recommend this and I think it's her best book yet!
Malorie Blackman is an author who takes the reader by the hand and gives them a story (or in this case a set of stories) that are not only vivid but ones that they can easily associate with the characters. Its lovingly woven, the prose sharp and to the point and she keeps the reader interested by knowing what they want to read.

Add to this three wonderfully woven tales in this one compendium, value for money and of course a writing talent that leaves the reader wanting more and for my money it's a book that will encourage even reluctant readers to keep going. All in a cracking trilogy and one that will haunt long after the final page is turned.
on 21 February 2014
Someone recommended Malorie Blackman, these are the first we have tried and love them - perfect for a 12 year old bookworm.
on 5 March 2014
A gripping children's story which has had my class of 10/11 year olds on the edge of their seats! Fantastic!
on 1 January 2014
Really good, I am now looking for more books by Malorie Blackman as I enjoyed it so much, I found it hard to put it down!
on 3 January 2014
A great read, recommended to my grand daughter (age 11) by her teacher & she loves it. Would definitely recommend.
on 27 August 2015