5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on 14 Oct 2006 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh...
I feel kind of bad reviewing this book, to be honest. I feel like I should be laughing at Ruby's cynicisms, her kooky upbringing, her general teenage girl-isms... but I didn't. It's a shame, really, because it's clearly delighted quite a few of my friends. Maybe I'm just not into chick-lit. Who knows.

Anyway, The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments,...
Published 17 months ago by Vanessa F

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
The additional title of THE BOYFRIEND LIST is (15 guys, 11 shrink appointments, 4 ceramic frogs and me, Ruby Oliver). It's very enlightening, entertaining, and oh-so-paramount to the book. This is the life and times of nearly sixteen-year old Ruby Oliver, former girlfriend of Jackson, former best friend of Kim, former semi-popular Sophomore high-school girl. Now just a girl with panic attacks, a Xerox-copied "Boyfriend List" circulating through school, and a shrink named Doctor Z.

Ruby's life used to be pretty normal, until her boyfriend broke up with her to date her best friend. Then the panic attacks started--shortness of breath, a tightening sensation in the chest, dizziness and nausea--that had her parents shipping her off to a psychiatrist to work out her "issues." Those issues would mainly be, in chronological order:

1) Adam

12) Billy

13) Jackson

14) Noel

15) Cabbie

It might sound, in retrospect, like a lot of guys in a short period of time. But Ruby's made a list of every boy who has ever meant something to her, and these are the fifteen guys that make up the list. In THE BOYFRIEND LIST, we learn about all the guys in Ruby's life, from Adam to Cabbie and everyone in between--and the result is a laugh-out-loud coming-of-age story that is well worth reading.

I can't wait for the release of THE BOY BOOK: A STUDY OF HABITS AND BEHAVIORS, PLUS TECHNIQUES FOR TAMING THEM to be released in September 2006. Since THE BOY BOOK was actually the creation of Ruby Oliver and her friends in THE BOYFRIEND LIST, it should be quite an adventure!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 3 April 2013
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
Brought this book for my daughter, she enjoyed it a lot.

Its a very teenage book, about things teenage girls go through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh..., 26 Feb 2013
Vanessa F "Vanessa" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)

Anyway, The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs, And Me, Ruby Oliver is about just that. A girl named Ruby Oliver who has been romantically involved with 15 guys over the course of her life. These romances are anything from the other kids at primary school making up a rumour that you're going out after you became friends, to talking with a high school boy, to having a rumour started about you and another high school boy, covering both long and short-term relationships.

Since Ruby has had a nervous breakdown followed by several panic attacks due to recent events, her mother sends her to a psychiatrist, who Ruby refers to as Doctor Z. Ruby doesn't really know what to do with her life, but she does know that the main problems in her life are to do with her social circle, her cloying parents, and the string of failed romances left in her wake. Doctor Z chooses to focus on Ruby's romantic life, and the novel is basically Ruby's boyfriend list.

The book has an odd way of pacing itself, that's for sure. For example, sometimes Ruby refers to past and future events in the same breath, and it's also difficult to know quite where you are in the present. I can't really put my finger on it, but the flow of the novel was a bit of an issue because of this. Also, sometimes these boyfriends come into Ruby's life so quickly that she spends two or three paragraphs (in the chapters they're featured in) talking about them, and the rest of the chapter in that confused present-past-future narrative.

The Boyfriend List also makes use of footnotes, just like in, say, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. But while the footnotes in that novel were hilarious, Ruby Oliver's failed to hit the mark most of the time and only occasionally put a smile on my face. Maybe the humour's a bit dated (even though this book is around seven years old), maybe I just don't share the same sense of humour... I guess I'm just not the target audience, because a) I don't really like chick-lit and b) My sense of humour is incredibly mercurial.

Though in her favour, Ruby is sometimes funny! There was a great part in the first chapter or so where Ruby bemoaned the clichés of most teen literature: I'm not telling you what I look like in any detail. I hate those endless descriptions of a heroine's physical attributes: 'She had piercing blue eyes and a heavy bosom' or 'She hated her frizzy hair and fat ankles', First, it's boring. You should be able to imagine me without all the gory details of my hairstyle or the size of my thighs. And secondly, it really bothers me how in books it always seems like the only two choices are perfection or self-loathing. As if the readers will only like a character who's ideal - or completely shattered. Give me a break. People have GOT to be smarter than that.'
Unfortunately, Ruby failed to hit the mark for my sense of humour after that, and even though she was enjoyable as a narrator, I guess I felt a little bit let down by the fact that it was sold to me as a really funny read, when it actually turned out to be quite fluffy. I read it in about four hours though, which shows I might actually have a hidden part of my brain that actually likes chick-lit and romantic comedy films. Excuse me while I pull it, dragging and screaming, back into the mental closet from which it came.

There, better.

Ruby also turned out to be more than a bit obsessed for my tastes. It wasn't, say, Bella Swan or Bethany Church-esque, where the heroine wangsts for pages upon pages about how she can't function without her boyfriend. The kind of heroines you want to shake by the lapels and scream: 'GET OVER IT!' . However, Ruby''s post-breakup trauma manifests in crying and having panic attacks and while she doesn't constantly whine about it like some YA heroines, some of these crying fits got old a bit fast. Also, bloody hell was she stuck on Jackson. I was actually cheering on this guy halfway through the novel when he tells her he sometimes wants to hang out with his friends and there is such a thing as forgetting to phone somebody. High five, dude. It's too bad you're revealed to be a nasty piece of work by the end of the book, but eh.

Also, for a girl who has had 15 boyfriends, though, it's pretty bad that merely two or three hours after finishing this book, I can only remember a few of them. They're all pretty similar, though. They're all good-looking, rich, and sometimes on sports teams or in bands, and all highly idealised. ("Like oh my god you guys, this guy has a cute smile, floppy hair, plays guitar and drives a beat-up old car, and works at a coffee house! SWOON!") It's just a shame that so many of them really don't have very discernible personalities. I get that some of these 'boyfriends' are just vague recollections from over the years, but I really think there could have been a bit more development with characters such as Shiv and Sky.

All in all, the novel isn't bad. The main character is quite witty and fun to read, and it is a very addictive book. Its main problems stem from...

1. The chronologically-confused setting, bouncing around from past to present to future.
2. A main character whose witticisms are definitely a case of 'your mileage may vary'. Some of you might find her hilarious, and some of you might just find them mildly amusing, like me.
3. Not a lot in the way of personalities for these fifteen guys, some of whom are described with barely any pomp and circumstance whatsoever in their featured chapters. Does Ruby only ever go for the same type of person? Wouldn't you want something different after a while?

However, if you're looking for something sweet and fluffy to read, you couldn't go much wrong with The Boyfriend List. It's short, it's sweet, it has its problems, but hey, I finished it in four hours, so it obviously did something right. 3/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny!, 14 Oct 2011
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
I fancied a book full of humour, and so picked The Boyfriend List up thinking that it would be pretty funny. What surprised me is that not only was it hilariously funny, but it was also a fairly serious book too.

A series of events - which I'd like to say I believe are mostly not her fault - happen following Ruby's split with her boyfriend Jackson, which lead to Ruby going from being fairly popular to the bottom of the food chain with everyone laughing, whispering and being complete gits to her. Her whole world is turned upside down over a series of days, and she gets so stressed it leads to panic attacks - and lots of them. There were times when my heart just broke for her, because her friends were just being unjustifiably mean, and there were such levels of betrayal that just astounded me. No wonder she had panic attacks and needed therapy!

As all her problems seem to evolve around boys, her therapist gets her to write a list of all the boys there has been any kind of romantic - though I use that word a little loosely - and try to work out what her actual problems are, and so goes the story. As I said this book is also extremely funny, despite the fact that there is a lot of pain. Ruby's personaility just shines through the whole novel, and even the most awkward of situations are written with Ruby's humour shining through. A magazine described the book as "agonizingly funny", and that sums the book up perfectly.

I can't really say much more without spoiling the book, but it's just brilliant! I highly recommend you go out and buy this book! I absolutely loved it! Frotunately, I have the sequel, The Boy Book already, and I'm jumping right in. You should definitely buy TheBoyfriend List!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful heroine, 30 May 2011
TG "What I Read and What I Thought" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
E. Lockhart has created a wonderful heroine in Ruby. You instantly feel for her; she's just too adorable for you not to. I can't express how much I love that she wears glasses. It seems like such a little thing, but when you're a teen girl and you wear glasses, it means so much to see someone wearing glasses and being regarded as attractive and popular and not some nerdy outcast.

Saying that, The Boyfriend List does introduce us to a Ruby that is friendless and alone, however, it's a recent and temporary predicament, brought on by her two-faced ex-friends (and OK, maybe some of Ruby's own bad decisions. Two of those bad decisions were her choice of friends and boyfriend). I also was really glad about how positively seeing a therapist was represented in this book. I love Ruby's relationship with Doctor Z and I hope the following books continue it.

As Ruby recounts her crushing/flirting/dating history to Doctor Z, some may feel that this novel and its heroine are too boy-fixated, but I think it's clear that every `boy story' is really a story about Ruby's friendships and her family and Ruby herself. How things stand for Ruby at the end of the novel also conveys the message that boys are not the be-all and end-all. Another author might have felt the need to pair Ruby off, but although there are certainly plenty of cute options in The Boyfriend List, when all is said and done, they're just not the most important thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hehe i loved this book!, 2 July 2006
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
This book could be described as a typical teenage girly book, but it's not typical.

I loved this book for the way it was told and how everything was explained. I also loved the use of quotes and how she described all the boys in the books, some you will feel ultimate sympathy for.

However i was a bit annoyed at the ending as i thought it was a bit rushed, but overall a really good book, and definately worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Boyfriend List, 30 July 2007
J. hobson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
I read this book over two days where I didnt do much and I just thaught it would fill the time. It caught my eye because of the cover with a ceramic frog on it!
I was facinated by Ruby Oliver's life and the amazing boyfriend list and Doctor z. I I read a little on the Sunday and most on the Monday and loved it. The book is laugh out loud funny and my brother thinks im mad. In a way I think I have a lot in common with Roo but from another perspective I am a world away from Tate.
I wish E.Lockhart would do a tour of England. And by the way just out of interest, what does the E. stand for ???

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely boring, a disapointment, 8 Aug 2006
A. Masood "SugarPixie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
Looking at the cover and blurb you would assume that this book would contain humor and an easy read well, you would be mistaken.

The book talks about a girl named Ruby Oliver who just broke up with her boyfriend, who is now dating her ex-bestfriend kim and about how Ruby is being shunned out by the rest of her school as well as her former friends and people whom she never before met.

Ruby finds life hard and ends up having panic attacks which leads her to seeing a shrink who assigns ruby to a list containing all the names of boys that she has ever been linked with. From there the story waffles on about rubys insecuritys and her faults and is very tedious, which makes you wanna slam the book or rip it, it's that annoying.

The biggest problem in the plot for me was that the author didn't make it seem bad that Ruby's ex-best friend was now seeing her boyfriend like it was completely normal and it wasn't their fault they liked each other but instead it was Rubys problem because she was being so 'childish' about their hook-up and also showed that the attitudes of her fellow peers was justifiable.

4.0 out of 5 stars !!!, 9 May 2006
This review is from: The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) (Paperback)
This book was actually quite funny.The story was alright, when I bought it I expected it to be a bit like every other teenage-lovey-girly-book out there. But it wasn't and I was pleasantly suprised.I really liked the girl Ruby in the story, I really didn't like her friends when they turned against her. Its one of those books where you sort of cringe when embarrassing stuff happens, or when you know something is going to go wrong.Anyway, in less words IT WAS RATHER GOOD. Go on, buy it suprise yourself.

The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver)
The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver) by Emily Lockhart (Paperback - 4 May 2006)
5.99