5.0 out of 5 stars Can this really be the end?
What a fantastic finale! I say that but at the same time I think it's a travesty that Meltdown is the last book of this excellent series - can the authors and publishers not be encouraged to continue it??

Published on 13 May 2007 by A reader

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read
I have read the series and thought they where ok! I love business thrillers and found another great author Colin Turner who's two thrillers 'The Oil Raider' and 'Virgin Hunter' take you on a roller coaster of a read with Conner Brock as the super agent that has to save the world. Highly recommended if you like McNabs stuff.
Published on 20 Sep 2009 by Ms. M. Neal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can this really be the end?, 13 May 2007
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)

What I loved particularly about Meltdown was the fact that the authors successfully went for yet another topical and challenging subject and made it interesting, engaging and thought-provoking but also ultimately entertaining. Reading the Boy Soldier series inspired me to try one of Andy McNab's adult books but I'm afraid I didn't like it at all - despite being for 'young people' I find the Boy Soldier books far superior (and more mature) in every way, particularly in terms of the writing and characterisation. And that I know a wide variety of people between the ages of 12 and 80 who have also read and loved them all I think illustrates this perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good final instalment to excellent series, 24 April 2008
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)
In perhaps the final chapter in the Boy Soldier series and the sequel to the excellent Avenger, Danny and Fergus have been assigned a mission to find and stop the makers of a deadly new drug.

With its fast paced action and a stronger position for Danny as a professional worker, Meltdown is different and more assertive in its job than the previous books in the series, which makes the forth instalment intriguing and exciting.

Having Danny put in a more distinctive and grown up role shows a different side to the character. This is interesting to read and observe.

However there isn't as much excitement to his character here as there was in previous novels, with him determined to be right and be a professional, though it is understandable given the circumstances.

The plot is consistent and intriguing, exploring the highs and lows of people in the drug industry with plenty of twists and turns in stall for the characters.

There again is a strong focus on following orders and doing your job, excellent focus from McNab's SAS days. The plot gives an insight into what it is like following orders and going undercover to explore the truth and find and destroy the bad guys and their operations.

Storm was a very interesting character as was her previous boyfriend and the introduction of new characters is something McNab does very well, giving each their own personal story and attitude gives the story more depth and feeling.

Avenger was the best of the series but this is a good follow up with strong action, commitment and a technical minded set, the series was undoubtedly one of the best I have ever read, thank you McNab.

8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from the boy soldier series, 4 Aug 2007
C. Flynn (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meltdown (Paperback)
A very well written fourth novel in an exceptional series of thriller/action books. The first of these books is a must read in order to learn the characters ('Boy Soldier'). 'Avenger' is darker, deeper and even more thought provoking than the previous two novels of the series. The principal characters have developed in such a way as to draw us into their world, and to feel and live every moment of their complex lives, almost as if we were there along side them ourselves! Wonderful stuff!! A great read and a great series. Highly recommended for ages 12 to adult. A true page turner through and through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story from McNab, 5 Jun 2007
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)
What a great finish! It is a real shame it has ended though. But if you like McNab's stories it says on his website andymcnab.co.uk he is launching short audio stories for mobiles phones - sounds interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable quick read, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Paperback)
I bought it for my Son, really! A great quick read which is fun in true McNab style. Danny, almost 18 gets a touch of the 'dark-side' disobeying orders, exacting revenge, and following his heart. The crooks are a pair of naive twins from Manchester, but really puppets of a mystery European, bad guy. It looks like Grand-Pa Fergus will be hanging up his AK in future and we will have to wait to see how the Boy Soldier series can evolve. I hope it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutted that I have finished it!!!, 16 Oct 2007
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)
Very easy to read, very hard to put down! Being in my mid 30's with the heart and imagination of a teenager this was a dream book for me. I would recommend to any armchair soldier. My only regret is that I did not start at the begining of the Boy Soldier series. I have just ordered the the full set!!! Enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, 27 Jun 2010
J. Tecza (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)
Great finale in the series, started reading them awhile back and it's one of the few great series of books that kept me reading all through summer, top marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenominal - make these into films, 18 Dec 2009
Ms. E. J. Baker "Elle" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Paperback)
Unfortunately I don't have any teenagers to buy for anymore just me - and I bought the whole series not really sure how "suitable for a 47 year old" they were going to be. Well let me tell you the older you are the more you can appreciate them - not just because they are SO well written with beautiful and sensitive teenage interaction which is not between the sheets or even getting close to it, but the actual story content and the SAS lingo sits in my brain very comfortably as well. I love all Andy McNabb and have read them all (barr the not yet published HB)but have no experience of Robert Rigby - well he gets the stars too because he is excellent.

I'd love to see these 4 books made into 2 films they would be so fast paced and actually would be real family watching (well family over 12 anyway)that you could guarantee would ignite and thrill. I'd gladly help anyone with the casting if they had a problem as I know who I would be looking to put into these roles and they'd be a huge hit both sides of the Atlantic.

I was quite ill when I read these. I read 3 in one day and set myself back because I wanted to read them all. As it was I just could not put them down and time just stood still. Meltdown (no 4 and sadly the last of the series) was just almost beyond words it was soo good.

I just wonder if the reason these have come to an end is because Nick Stone cant go on forever and Danny Watts will be taking his place????? If so you can guarantee they'll just keep coming and just get better and better.

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 20 Sep 2009
Ms. M. Neal (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand finale, 9 Jun 2007
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Meltdown (Boy Soldier) (Hardcover)
Pity that this is the last of the "Boy Soldier" series, but then at 18 Danny is hardly likely to enjoy being called a boy.

The author/authors tend to forget at times that this book was aimed at yougsters and there is no shortage of bad language. Would Mr McNab like his daughter to be subjected to this?

The book is easily, for me, the best of the series so far, but Elena is sadly missed. I felt the last quarter was rather shallow, superficial and rushed - perhaps we had a deadline to meet.

All in all, as am adult, it was a thoroughly good read.

If you have read the previous three in the series, then read this one.

If you haven't, then start at number one and read the entire series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Meltdown (Boy Soldier)
Meltdown (Boy Soldier) by Andy McNab (Paperback - 14 Feb 2008)