Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2013
My 11year old son read this and I thought I should check it out... I enjoyed the book and my son loves them the book gave me crazy nightmare but they have not been an issue for my son! Good plot a bit scary for me!
on 28 October 2013
A good airport read full of basic infantry skills and local knowledge, with the intelligence services as the baddies again. A bit of gratuitous violence when the smart way would have just been to eliminate rather than capture him, but I guess that makes the story.Too many loose ends at the end which might have stopped the happy ever after bit, but presumably that is to create the next book?
on 9 May 2006
As a forty something year old mother of a near teenager, I am constantly on the look out for an interesting book for my son to read. But, on having purchased 'Boy Soldier' for him, I noticed on the back cover the words 'NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER READERS'. This made me stop and think - Would this be too violent? Full of four letter words? So I thought I'd have a look for myself.This is a very well written book, ok, so there's some swearing (though infrequent and no more than you'd no doubt hear in a school playground) and there's violence (say a 12 certificate film) but its a fast paced book, and highly addictive, prologue and two chapters in and I just couldn't put it down! Well Done! to messers McNab and Rigby! I'll definately be buying 'Payback' and 'Avenger' tomorrow. (Cause I want to read them!!)
33 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2006
Very few children authours these days realise that not all teenagers want books with different worlds and magical creatures. This is a real, down to earth simple book. Andy McNab has written a superb novel in "Boy Soldier" and also "Avenger" (I am looking foward to reading "Payback") I love this series! The books are impossible to put down and have a cliff hanger at every turn. The series is so refreshing and I put it up there with Anthony Horowitz in terms of excellence, if not better. Make no doubt about it, Andy McNab is a superb authour, I will definately be reading more of his work in furure.
on 21 August 2005
this is the first andy mcnab book i've read and i have to say, im very impressed. action-packed and a brilliant read. you won't be able to put this book down. it'll suit any age.
fans of the alex rider series by anthony horowitz should seriously consider this book!
on 14 October 2011
My 14yr boy tells me he really liked this book. He is a typical 14yr old so should be suitable for boys of this age ;)

Can't comment anymore as his review consisted of a just a few 'grunts of approval' which roughly translated is 'Wow that was a great book Dad'
on 9 June 2005
An avid fan of Mr McNab's work, 'Boy Soldier' proves to be an enthalling read both for adults, and McNab's new target audience - teenagers. Set in England, with a corrupt MI6 officer and his band of assassins hot on the trail of new character Fergus Watts, the pace is fast, and McNab's legendary attention to detail is ever present. After a somewhat lacking 'deep black' this is a great return to form. I look forward to 'Aggressor' in November. Keep it up andy!..(Sir)
on 23 August 2013
My son would rather eat his own feet than read a book voluntarily, however he has taken himself off to read this. Hasn't finished it yet, but at least he's persevering!
on 19 May 2005
Boy Soldier is a completely absorbing read, once you pick it up it is impossible not to have to finish it in one sitting. The novel has the qualities of a great thriller in abundance - it's fast-paced, action packed and full of interesting and unexpected plot twists. But what makes Boy Soldier so unique and attractive to adults is the sensitivity with which the characters and their relationships are depicted - such beautiful descriptive writing is very rare in this type of literary genre. Buy it, read it and then wait impatiently for the next one!
on 18 December 2009
Unfortunately I don't have any teenagers to buy for anymore just me - and I bought the whole series not really sure how "suitable for a 47 year old" they were going to be. Well let me tell you the older you are the more you can appreciate them - not just because they are SO well written with beautiful and sensitive teenage interaction which is not between the sheets or even getting close to it, but the actual story content and the SAS lingo sits in my brain very comfortably as well. I love all Andy McNabb and have read them all (barr the not yet published HB)but have no experience of Robert Rigby - well he gets the stars too because he is excellent.

I'd love to see these 4 books made into 2 films they would be so fast paced and actually would be real family watching (well family over 12 anyway)that you could guarantee would ignite and thrill. I'd gladly help anyone with the casting if they had a problem as I know who I would be looking to put into these roles and they'd be a huge hit both sides of the Atlantic.

I was quite ill when I read these. I read 3 in one day and set myself back because I wanted to read them all. As it was I just could not put them down and time just stood still. Meltdown (no 4 and sadly the last of the series) was just almost beyond words it was soo good.

I just wonder if the reason these have come to an end is because Nick Stone cant go forever and Danny Watts will be taking his place????? If so you can guarantee they'll keep coming and just get better and better.