Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 2016
The fact that I love this book so much probably does have something to do with the fact that I was about twelve years old, the same age as protagonist Johnny Maxwell, when I first read it. But I think it’s also a testament to Pratchett’s ability as a writer – as funny as his work is, I don’t remember physically laughing out loud at any of his books as much as I did to this one.

I love the Discworld, and I’m pretty sure I’ll have given a few books in the series a 10/10 as well, but I can honestly say that this is one of my two favourite Terry Pratchett books. Some of his other non-Discworld stuff is kind of questionable, but the Johnny Maxwell series was written at the height of his powers, and this is the finest book of the three in my opinion. You should read it.
on 7 April 2014
Pratchett moves away from Disc World offering us life through the eyes of a young boy called Johnny. In these incredible tales which mix reality and fantasy, we get to experience yet another literary gem by an outstanding Author. If you love fantasy with a comedic twist, you will love the "Johnny" Trilogy.
on 12 December 2013
As well as a good story, well told, "Only You Can Save Mankind" is the best exploration of war, pacifism, xenophobia, racism and intolerance for children that I have ever met. It's deeply thought-provoking. UKIP must hate it.
on 28 April 2013
Even though this book was wrote for younger readers it still holds its own if your older with a fun plot and strong story it is a joy to read and has more relavance now than when it was first wrote. Brilliant
on 2 February 2013
This book
gives me mixed feelings including worried ,happy, and thinking people are being silly!
If you
like aliens, alligators
imagination and video games
this book is for you.
on 28 July 2012
I am a long time Pratchett fan and bought this for someone called Johnny! It was very well received despite being a children's book. Always a good story from Terry Pratchett anyway, children or adult.
on 7 June 2016
Terry was to my way of thinking improving with every novel he wrote - just look at Raising Steam and Dodger. What a real tragedy that he should be taken at his peak.
on 22 May 2011
A great little story meant for the younger reader but I enjoyed it as much as Terry's other Johnny series.
Arrived quick as usual and undamaged, well packaged.
on 20 March 2013
I bought this because I am an avid Terry Pratchett fan and whilst I own all of the Discworld novels I have now bought all of his other books.
on 22 January 2012
fantastic reading for both my 8 year and 11 year old boys ... they read it over and over again at bedtimes. Great for peaceful evenings :)