5.0 out of 5 stars So good I couldn't put it down until finished ....
I wasn't that impressed with the first two books in this trilogy but wanted to find out how it all ended so bought the final volume. Boy was I in for a surprise! This final book eclipses the others and makes for an exciting and rollicking read. I couldn't put it down until finished!

I'm glad I decided not to let the first two volumes put me off because the...
Published on 8 April 2007 by pacem et amorem

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite live up to expectations but still a cracking read
Wrapping up this over-arching storyline was always going to be difficult and whilst Stroud gets most of the way towards a satisfying wrap-up, I have to say that it didn't quite work as well as I had hoped.

The big problem is that Stroud has hidden the motives and identity of his villainous mastermind almost too well. For me, there weren't quite enough hints in...
Published on 15 Jun 2007 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I couldn't put it down until finished ...., 8 April 2007
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence) (Paperback)

I'm glad I decided not to let the first two volumes put me off because the last book is fantastic. The final story has more emotion than the others and you get a feeling of really coming to know the chief protagonists, what drives them and what they are capable of. There is tension, thrilling adventure, suspense, humour and pathos all rolled in here to make the journey to the end an exciting one.

Buy this book and you won't be disappointed as you join Nathaniel, Kitty and the one and only Bartimaeus on their final, thrilling adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb ending to the Bartimaeus trilogy, 9 Oct 2005
A. S. Garton "age garton" (milton keynes, england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
Having immensely enjoyed The Amulet of Samarkand and Golem's Eye, the first and second books of this most unusual trilogy, I had high expectations for this final chapter. I am pleased to say that I haven't been disappointed. Ptolemy's Gate is by far the best in the series and must go down as Stroud's finest work to date.
The novel is both engaging and exciting. Stroud's moves the focus of the storyline from Nathaniel to Kitty to Bartimaeus in flawless fashion. His employment of the first-person style of story telling from Bartimaeus to the more usual narrative when featuring Kitty or Nathaniel adds a dimension to this series that you'll rarely find in the work of others.
I won't ruin the plot by describing the action here - you'll have to buy the book if you want to know what happens. Suffice it is to say that Stroud beautifully ties up all the strings left dangling in Golem's Eye; and he does so most satisfactorily. You'll wind up caring for each of the three main characters and wondering whether Mister Mandrake is the magician, or whether the real wizard is Stroud himself.
Trouble is, I am now left wanting much more of Bartimaeus. Can we have some more, please, Mister Stroud?

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book!, 29 Oct 2005
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
In his first two books, Stroud, like many other children's writers, falls into the trap of being overly patronising, preaching morals at the reader. However, this third book exceeded all my expectations. In Ptolemy's Gate, Stroud expects intelligence and emotional understanding from the reader, rather than preaching, he allows you to work things out for yourself.
I was gripped from the beginning to the end, my flatmates couldn't understand why I was getting so excited over a kid's book! I'm 20, but started reading these books after buying them for my 10 year old cousin. With my father also rapidly becoming a convert, I'd highly recommend them to any age group!
Bartimaeus, is, as ever, one of the best written and entertaining characters I've ever come across in fiction - one of the nicest aspects of this book is how much more you learn about him - the focus shifts away from Nathaniel and onto everyone's favourite djinni, leading to some wonderfully well-written, thought provoking and touching scenes as we see into his past and his developing relationship with the present-day humans.
As already mentioned by other reviewers, the ending isn't entirely unexpected, it is nevertheless extremely touching and a very fitting ending to the trilogy.
Stroud is an exceptional children's author and deserves to be known as such. I'm sure we'd all love to see much more of Bartimaeus :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another American who could not wait..., 25 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
A well crafted, and fitting end to a wonderful Trilogy. There is a sense of foreboding through the book (intentional I am sure) and an ending that is surprising and fitting. No ending with a whimper.. no "I just don't know how to stop.." it is done right. There is a LOT of Bartimaeous, which is a joy. And there is hope and redemtion in the poignant prose.
Others have reviewed this book to greater success than I could ever hope to achieve- but I wanted to add that it is WELL worth the read and among my favorite series. Some of the best fiction these days is disguised as "children's" books.
And I wanted to add that if you have not LISTENED to this story as read by Simon Jones.. then you are missing a real treat. He gives great voice to the characters- especially the wicked, sarcastic and heartfelt Bartimaeous. I highly recommend that you give the stories a listen, as well as a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, satisfying, easily the best of the three., 30 Oct 2006
DLD Woods (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence) (Paperback)
The final volume of the Bartimeus Trillogy, 'Ptolemy's Gate' is an absolute gem of a book. As well as possessing the same qualities that made the previous books so succesful, Ptolemy's Gate is made all the more satisfying by the wonderfully poignant climax it builds to, answering many accumulated questions along the way.

This series is a must-read for anyone who likes a good story (children and adults alike), and Ptolemy's Gate is easily the best of the three - once you've opened it, putting this book down simply isn't an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of those 'must read' books, 14 Jan 2007
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence) (Paperback)
Jonathon Stroud has managed to combine a deep and complex plot with a wonderfully rich humour. The storyline is strong and well thought out, but the humour of Bartimaeus's narrative set this book head and shoulders above it's rivals. As the third book in a trilogy you hope for a real flourish at the end - this book's conclusion does not disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 27 Sep 2006
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
I have followed the Bartimaeus trilogy since its beginning and i have rarely seen such a skilled author as Jonathan Stroud. The books are very easy to get into and envolve you from the beginning making you feel like your actually part of the story not just the reader. The commentry and opinions displayed via bartimaeus are both funny and very descriptive. I thought that Ptolemy's gate was one of the best books ive read in a long time. The plot twists and turns making you gasp and your eyes widen at every turning of a page. If you like books full of adventure, suprise and humour this would be an excellent choice. There in my opinion is but one set back. Give it a read it's a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly writen grabs you and doesn't let go, 6 April 2006
Mr. A. J. Simpson "GrimNir" (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
book 3 of the bartemaus series. And if anything the best one yet.
Bartemaus remains both witty, sarcky and insightful. Nathaniel regains some of the decency he displayed in the initial book. And Kitty displays idealistic and gritty heroism.
Not wanting to ruin the book by pre-empting its story makes it hard to review fairly. I loved this book. Bartemaus is a wonderous character who adds colour and humour at every occassion. Whilst showing that demons (or Djinni) have more moral fiber, integretty and compassion than mere humans, but also being nasty buggers looking for an oportunity to rip humans to bits but only as revenge for enslavement.
In this book commoners resilience to magic is growing, as is public disension. Commoners are being shipped out enmass to fight a war in America, but not coming back. We're losing the war but don't want to admit it. Nathaniel runs a propoganda ministry lying to the public about the war effort and earning him the publics contempt. Strikes and demonstrations are on the rise. As are the reprisals. Hopkins is back up to his games (the bad guy is so bloody obvious you wonder why on earth nathaniel can not see it, but then I thought that in the closing pages of the Golem's eye) with nathaniel hot on his heels. Kitty wants to see demons and commoners rise together as equals to overthrow the evil magicians, and is trying to convince bartemaus of the virtues of this idea. Inorder to do so she passes through Ptolemy's Gate and into "The Other place" and bartemaus's home.
At home a major disaster occurs, demons escape, possessing magicians bodies, having trapped killed or eaten the majority of londons magicians and engaging on an eating frenzy on commoners, and threatening the entire world. The only hope is Kitty, nathaniel and bartemaus in unison, and it is spectaculatly delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence) (Paperback)
well this is probably the first time ive put my book down willingly. from biggining to end the people around me were treated to my various gasps... giggles ...ohh and ahh and lots of... OH NOOO'sss.. while my nose was buried in teh book.

it is a brilliant close to the trilogy and the funniest book in the series so far. kitty nathaniel and Sakhar al Djinni himself forced to work together .... im surprised they didnt make a movie of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars greeat, 24 Sep 2006
This review is from: Ptolemy's Gate (Hardcover)
This is the best trilogy I've read for ages. Bartimeaus is so hip it hurts! Although I thought Book Two was a little dragged out, the third is brilliant and completes the story. Fantastic stuff

ARRAY(0xa72f5618)

Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence)
Ptolemy's Gate (The Bartimaeus Sequence) by Jonathan Stroud (Paperback - 5 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01