5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
Published on 8 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
As a succession to Noughts and Crosses I was a little disappointed. As well written as it's predecessor, but the content wasn't as gripping in my opinion.
Published 17 months ago by Emma Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 8 Feb 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
I'd been waiting so long to read the book, and it was well worth the wait. I read it in about 4hrs, n i cant wait for the last one in the series. The story starts with Sephy and her newborn baby Callie Rose, the book shows the struggle Sephy has to go through to do the best for her baby. It also shows what happens to Jude as he attempts to make Sephy pay for what she has done, along with every Cross he meets! The book is both like and unlike "Noughts and Crosses" in that it is set in "diary" form, but instead of it being from just two peoples points of view it is from Sephy's, Jude's, Minerva's, Meggie's(Callum's Mother) and Jasmine's(Sephy's mother). This adds an interesting twist to the story. It is a heart renching story of love, revenge, hatred and disloyalty that keeps you hooked and wanting more. The end is a suprise that I didn't even think of, like "Noughts and Crosses" this book left on a cliffhanger and a tear jerker of an ending making me cry. This is better even than "Noughts and Crosses" which i didnt think was possible! This is a "must read" for all you bookworms out there, and for all those who enjoyed Noughts and Crosses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fantastic fantastic sequel, 23 Jan 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure I wanted to read Knife Edge. I loved Noughts and Crosses so much, I didn't want to read a sequel that wasn't an equal to the first book. But this book is just as good, if not better than the first one. I bought Knife Edge this morning and by the afternoon, I'd finished reading it. I don't see how any book this year could be better. The newspaper articles were brilliant, as were the rainbow sections. The whole thing just left me wanting the story to never end. Like Oliver, I wanted a lot more. The story covers the first year of Callie Rose's life but it's more about Sephy trying to carry on without Callum, and Jude trying everything he can to ruin Sephy's life. And the end was totally shocking. I didn't see it coming at all. Now I'm desperate to read the last one in the trilogy. It's driving me nuts that I'm going to have to wait until the next book comes out to know what happens next. Knife Edge was definitely worth the wait, but please, please - if you're reading this Miss Blackman - don't make us wait too long for the last part.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of a very interesting and intruiging book, 11 Aug 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
What can I say? Knife Edge (and of course Noughts and Crosses) are two of the best books I have read in a while. Noughts and Crosses can only be described as slightly less 'dark' that its sequel which is incredibly sinister. The plot is a rather depressing one but you cant really have a happy story when it comes to inequality of different races. It's always going to end in tears. And I must say, the ending was completely out of the blue! In this type of book, you can't really guess whats going to happen next. I can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 10 Feb 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
Like many others I was reluctant to read this as I didn't want to ruin the original, but I had to. The minute I picked it up I was engrossed. Like noughts and crosses Ms. Blakman's engaging and exciting plot kept me reading, imagine my surprise when the book ended but didn't seem to be finished! This is a fantastic sequal, as exciting as the first and I know I am desperate for the third. It is only really half a book, ending on such a cliffhanger, but I think I'll forgive Ms. Blackman, as long as the final book comes out soon! If you haven't read noughts and crosses, read it now, if you have, read knife edge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a disappointment!!!, 29 Nov 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Paperback)
This book is fantastic!!!! I didn't think that it would be as good as the first book as it was smaller and many carry on books are not as good, how wrong was I!!!!!! The book carries on like in the first book with people telling their personal explinations of what's going on. In the last book only 2 people did this in this book they have 4. In this one it has more action in it and has a completely different setting although still keeps you exctied all the way through. It is a great read for anyone even if you are not a great book lover!! I would highly recommened it too anyone from 12 years old to 100!!! No one keeps the suspense high as Malorie Blackman does. If you want to purchase the book i would suggest you read the 1st book (noughts and crosses) before as it won't make much sense!!! It would be a great present or even if you want to just read it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books EVER!!!!, 15 Mar 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
After Noughts and Crosses, I was waiting for ages to find out about Sephy and her baby. I wasn't disappointed when this came out! About Sephy and her new-born baby (not 14 years on but just after the baby is born) and their struggle to survive and get some money to live on. I thought that Jude would change his nought-hating ways after he met Cara (a cross), as it seems as though he really likes her, and the twist in it was very sad. I can't wait for the third book, as this on ended on a realy cliffhanger!

4.0 out of 5 stars An enthralling read, but not quite as good as its prequel, 24 July 2004
Henry Stanley "henryaj" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
Knife Edge is definitely a very good book, but having read it I do feel that there is something missing... something Malorie Blackman managed to put into Noughts and Crosses (the prequel to Knife Edge) and didn't put in this book. Where Noughts and Crosses had a lot of action and drama, Knife Edge is pretty bland right up until the ending (which is very good and unexpected). The book follows Persephone Hadley as she struggles to raise her dual-heritage child in an apartite world, whose father was hanged for terrorism. Knife Edge is largely just idly following the ups and downs of everyday life with Sephy - nothing too groundbreaking here.
That said, if you've read Noughts and Crosses, you must read this book - you don't have to read An Eye for An Eye (which is a sort of semi-prequel, set before Knife Edge and after Noughts and Crosses) as it only marginally helps in understanding Knife Edge, but An Eye for An Eye is a good book, despite its short length, and if a friend has a copy, you'll want to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jun 2007
S. L. Jones "sally laramie" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knife Edge (Paperback)
Many people say that this book isn't as good as the first one, and I agree it isn't, but still, this book is a truly amazing read. This sequel concentrates more on character developement, rather then storylines and twists, but I quite enjoyed this technique. The story telling method is the same as lost time and not only varies between the main characters (Sephy and Jude), but moved onto to less important characters like Meggie and Jasmine, which is very effective at showing how they feel about Jude and Sephy.

Not only does this book show the struggle that sephy suffers as a single black woman with a mix raced baby, but it also high lights the hardship that young parents go through. I found this book just as emotional as the last, especially for Sephy, who is struggling to sort her life out after the events from the last book. I felt great sympathy for her throughout the book and felt as desperate as Meggie to help her.

Although Sephy's the main character in this book, I found Jude's character devlopement to be more interesting. I found that I was able to feel for a character I had disliked and hated through Noughts and Crosses. Jude goes through alot in this book and after all his actions the reader is left feeling disappointed that he can't change his views. This books again brings up themes of racism, prejudism and class. Malorie writes this book amazingly and somehow manages to make you love and hate Sephy and Jude at the same time. Although the book does seem to be considerably empty without Callum, but that's the way it's supposed to feel.

A definete read for anyone who enjoyed the first book and is interested to see how Sephy and Jude will cope after the loss of Callum.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Noughts and Crosses', 20 Jan 2007
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Knife Edge (Paperback)
This was the sequel to 'Noughts and Crosses', but it was a different type of book; less of an adventure story / page turner, and more of a study in relationships.

Unfortunately we lost one of the best characters in the previous book, and although Jude and Sephy are interesting, it wasn't quite the same without Callum. I also felt there wasn't much interaction between the two, their lives run parallel in time, but they don't meet up until near the end. The tension of Jude trying to seek revenge on Sephy doesn't really build either.

All in all a bit disappointing after 'Noughts and Crosses', lets hope the final book in the trilogy, 'Checkmate' lives up to the standard of the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazng read!, 5 Feb 2004
This review is from: Knife Edge (Hardcover)
Ok, ignore the Amazon synopsis, I dont know where it came from, but it has nothing to do with the plot of this book! Maybe its the plot of the third...? Anyway, this is an AMAZING book - every bit as good as Noughts and Crosses. If you enjoyed the first one, you have to read this one. The emotion in it is just as powerful and convincing, and this time the story is told from four different points of view (although Sephy and Jude are the main narrators). In this book, Callie Rose has just been born, and most of the story is centered around Sephy struggling to get over Callum's death (and...certain other things....read it to find out!) and Jude's thirst for revenge against evey Cross, particularly Sephy. It ends on a huge cliffhanger - I cant wait for the next one!

Knife Edge
Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman (Paperback - 30 Jun 2005)
5.24