5.0 out of 5 stars A ratty view of people
On the Discworld, even wizards produce leftovers. Their discarded garbage, however, is laced with traces of magic. Out on the tip, the rats forage in the scraps - apple cores, candle stubs [good carbohydrate source], dogends. Like any trace mineral, the magic builds up until the rats have changed, gaining new talents. Among those talents are speaking and reading. Speaking...
Published on 31 Jan 2006 by Stephen A. Haines

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite what I was expecting!
I've always been a fan of Terry Pratchett, mostly because his books are always entertaining and thought-provoking. However, this one was a bit of a surprise!
I found it a bit hard to get into - it took a lot longer than his usual two or three pages to grab my attention, mostly because I didn't quite understand what was happening, and once I got into the book, I...
Published on 1 Feb 2003 by Kiera Bruce

4.0 out of 5 stars The Amazing Maurice, 12 Feb 2004
Lucy (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
The Amazing Maurice is one of my favourite and most cherished books. A tale of magic and power, The Amazing Maurice is a thrilling tale of the extreme power of one cat and his army of talking mice. Together, they are a great team, but as they enter their final raid, danger is on the horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett is, quite simply, a genius., 16 Feb 2005
That rare thing that might come along only once in one's lifetime, and is marvelled at exceedingly: a Discworld book with chapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good characters, bad setting, 25 Aug 2002
By A Customer
It was a great book and I was sorry it ended, but it was a bit flat. If you have read another Pratchett book you would see what I mean. I have read almost the whole Disworld series and I could imagine Ank-Morpork in perfect detail. In this book I could barely imagine a brick wall. Throughout the book the characters were moving through a gray backround. This put a slight damper on things.
Also the main characters weren't as interesting as they normally are in Pratchett's books. Basically all you knew about Keith was that he had a stupid looking face and he liked to play his pipe. Malicia was a bit more interesting, but not much. The rats were certainlly more interesting than all the humans, but they still wern't up to Pratchett's usuall standards. Dangerous Beans, to put it bluntly, got on my nerves. In fact, the only character who met Pratchett's normal standards was Maurice, the street-wise tabby. His conflicts with his conscience and Spider are most interesting.
Overall, it was a good read,if a bit dark, and had some good scenes. The best being Darktan's speech to his troops before entering the 'Dark Wood', which was to my mind very powerful.
This would not be a good introduction to Disworld, or TP. I would suggest Johnny and the Dead, Gaurds! Gaurds!, or Reaper Man.

3.0 out of 5 stars Discworld fans avoid, 18 Nov 2003
Terry Pratchett (the creator of Discworld) has pulled away from the usual characters from the city of Ankh-Morpork and written a book about a very cunning cat and his band of mice. The author has taken the simplistic story of the Pied Piper of Hamlin and twisted it into a very jumbled tale. Essentially this is a story of good versus evil with comedy entwined with adventure. This novel was aimed at a younger audience than the Discworld series and so I felt it lacked the complexity of previous books. I felt a distinctly different tone in this book and believe the story would have been superior had it been set in Ankh-Morpork. I therefore only recommend this to the younger audience and urge Discworld fans to avoid it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Discworld fans avoid, 18 Nov 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Did Terry Pratchett actually write this?, 28 Dec 2001
A. M. George "Andrew" (Hampshire U.K.) - See all my reviews
I'm a Terry Pratchett fan. I've read and enjoyed all his books, but this one was a let- down.Terry's writing is unique mainly because of his unique way of thinking about things ..the sudden throw away line in the story that states the obvious, but for some reason you've never thought of it that way before...something other authers try to copy, but somehow it doesn't work for them. I am certain that without covers or titles a Pratchett fan could easily pick out a new "Terry Pratchett" work. This book says TERRY PRATCHETT in big letters on the cover but without that I don't think any fan would have picked it out as one of his. Its not bad..its just not....well its just not Terry Pratchett. It also says its a discworld novel, but apart from a couple of gratuitous references it could be set anywhere.None of the discworld we know and love is there. Terry, if you did write this please take a holiday and refresh those brain cells. If it was ghost written an exhorsism please.

ARRAY(0xa17a3e94)

The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents: A Story of Discworld. For young Readers (Discworld Novels)
Used & New from: 0.01