4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Youth Classic that just misses the mark
My wife is a teacher and is going through this book with her pupils. Call me snobbish, but despite her protestations that I really should read it, I was reluctant - I'm not a teenager, for one, and feared I'd find it tedious and craftless.

How wrong I was. Blackman's novel is superbly paced and stylistically clever. The dual first-person-narrative structure...
Published on 2 July 2007 by Mr. T. COLEMAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but strictly for young adult readers
I am conscious that, as an adult, I'm not the target audience for this book, so I am giving Malorie Blackman's dystopian novel three stars because I'm sure a 15 year old would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I was expecting something like 'The Hunger Games' in terms of a writing style that could cross over from YA to 'grown up' fiction, but I found the 'Noughts &...
Published 4 months ago by Asphodelia

‹ Previous | 1 2 353 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, read it now, and then read it again!, 19 Aug 2003
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
I perminantly loaned 'Noughts and Crosses' from my sister at the weekend after she had finished it. In part, it was because I like to read, and I like to have shelves full of books, and in part it was because I read the prolouge and the first chapter while waiting to go out and liked it (more so than what I was reading at the time).
I only started really reading it today, on a buisness trip to London. Let me put it this way, as I was being interviewed by a General, I was thinking about this book! This is the first book I have ever read, effectively, cover-to-cover in one day. I can hardly describe how AMAZING this book is. Ms Blackman is an exceptionally gifted author, and the book has not only an exceptionally strong story, but also confronts a very real and controversial issue with such skill that you don't realise she's done it until you put the book down (for the five minutes it takes to switch Tubes at any rate!) and start thinking - am I in London, or in the book?
At more than one point I was wishing for Sephy and Callam to just talk to each other about their feelings, so wound up in the story I had become. And such a sad, brilliant, heart-wrenching ending. The scene in the Rose Garden, I just kept wishing someone would come to their rescue.
When I was younger, I used to say that more modern, contemporary books should be in the National Ciriculum at GCSE level, not just Shakespare. This should be the book. Every child in the UK should read it. Then read it again. I truely didnt want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book, 15 Mar 2004
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
This is the best book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of books! It is all about Callum and Sephy, a nought and a cross, in an unfair and cruel world where noughts are looked down on. It's ending was the saddest ending I have ever read, and almost had me in tears. It is excellently written, as Malorie Blackman has described all the characters feelings in diary form, which makes it even more moving. I would not usually choose this type of book, as I like action and fantasy, but this book has totally changed the way I look at books. It is full of action, romance and is very moving, and is a must-read for every adult as well as child!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1, 23 Mar 2004
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
Noughts and crosses can only be described as the most intoxicating unputdownable heart-rending book ever. A book that has you absorbed until the last full stop yet lingers in the mind for a long time afterwards. It has to be said, it easily classifies as my favourite book. EVER.
To set the scene for you, this book is set in a world where black and white is right and wrong. Malorie Blackman skilfully avoids mentioning time and place which focuses on the novel being set in a bubble of racial injustice. This provocative book makes us think about race in a totally different way through the two main characters as they struggle to keep their friendship alive. Callum is a nought –a second class citizen- in a world dominated by crosses. Sephy is a cross and daughter to one of the most powerful men in the country. The introduction of these two characters causes us to dive straight into their deep fondness for each other, we feel intertwined with their every thought and feeling due to the chapters alternating between both character’s diaries. The stereotypical ideas most people are brought up with about racism, led me to assume that Callum would be black, however Malorie Blackman has used the clever device of turning these preconceived ideas upside down to make sure that her point is well and truly made. As the lives of these two characters progress, they realise that they want more than friendship from each other but as harsh reality takes it’s toll we are left bitter and wishing for a world not divided by colour or class. As we arrive to the end of this riveting book, the momentous ending whacks an unforgettable punch and we can’t help but be left breathless.
This book would inspire passion onto even the most heartless person. It’s laugh out loud funny and cry your heart out sad. The dramatic and moving plot line achieves what any good book should; leave you wanting more. It’s filled to the brim with love and hate, wrong and right, injustice and hope. Malorie Blackman has created a masterpiece from which you feel reluctant to leave. An incredible novel that should be read by all!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written and pacy, 28 Feb 2004
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
This book is amazing. A lot of people say that about a lot of books, but this one really is. It follows Sephy, a black cross, and Callum, a white nought in their struggle to fight against the inequality and narrow minded people that surround them. Written from both the main characters' points of view, this book will draw you in and not fully let you go until long after you have finished it, and even then, it will make you look at the world around you through fresh eyes. The heart-wrenching ending will leave you both in tears and wanting more, which the sequel 'knife edge' provides. Though at points you will want to scream through sheer frustration about what is happening, this is only because Malorie Blackman has made her chracters so utterly believable-you can't help but get involved in their lives. This really is, to use a cliche, a 'must read'.

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE!!!!, 18 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Naughts & Crosses (Paperback)
Noughts and crosses. It literally took my breath away. I think its one of the best books ive ever read! Malorie manages to keep you transfixed all the way though, till the very end.
She has turned the world on its head and talks about a very painful subject - racism, within the very things that keep us alive; Love, Hate, family, friendship and trust.
Its about a black girl called Sephy and a white boy called Callum and there friendship in a world thats divided by the colour of your skin, and how their feelings for eachother grow as they grow older and grow up.
Its a must read Book.
Go on, give it a shot!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books ive read!, 3 May 2003
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
I know this is a cliche but i could not put this book down and read it within a day. The way that Malorie Blackman tells the story from both Sephy and Callum's viewpoint means that you really feel that you know them by the end of the book. Callum and Sephy live in a world where people are judged merely on the colour of their skin (not dissimilar to this world) and noughts (white people) are considered to be almost subhuman. Callum is a nought, and Sephy is a cross, the daughter of one of the most powerful people in the country, but they have grown up together and are true friends. But will they ever be able to be together despite the views of people around them? I won't say anymore otherwise it'll give the story away!! but if you havent read it you have to!
My one complaint would be that it i want to know more at the end but i've head that Malorie Blackman is writing a sequel about Callum and Sephy's daughter, Callie Rose - does anyone know any more info bout this? If you liked this book then read the world book day special "an eye for an eye" - its short but a good 'filler' whilst you're waiting for the second part. Overall an excellent book!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a children's book, 8 Aug 2003
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
I can't believe this book is being marketed as a book for young adults. This is definitely a book for adults to read and thoroughly enjoy. I must admit, I wouldn't have read this book if it wasn't one of the BBC Big Read top 100 books of all time, but I'm determined to read all 100 and this was the seventy-third one on my list. And of the ones I've read so far this is definitely my favourite. It has action, suspense, romance, an excellent, enthralling story and characters to really care about. I'm in my 30s and I thought it was amazingly well written and like nothing I've ever read before. Well done to Malorie Blackman. This may have been the first book of yours that I've read, but it certainly won't be the last. I can't wait for the sequel. If it's a half as good as Noughts and Crosses, it'll be a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boys Crying??!!, 6 Jun 2005
Thomas (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
I read this book by chance as i had nothing else to read. I am glad i stumbled across it. This is probably the best book i have ever read. I loved it so much and even a week after sadly finishing, i still think about it. It is an incredibly passionate book and if it does not make you cry at the end.....well you're just not human. It has really touched me, and i can't wait for the next in the series. The only thing is that i have to find another book as good as it to read! completely recommended. Thankyou Malorie!

5.0 out of 5 stars MOVING, MEMORABLE. BRAVO MALORIE!, 6 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Hardcover)
If you have ever read any books by Malorie Blackman, you would have a fair idea what this book was going to be like. Action-packed, kiddy plot, computer based... decent read. Well, when you pick up Noughts and Crosses, do not let that thought pass you. Blackman has executed a first-rate novel, which will probably stand as the greatest book I have ever read. Revealing the plot in this book would be stupid, spoiling. But I will tell you this, it is a moving, romantic, racially packed stories, telling the tale of two best friends from the well-off side of town to the bad side. The characters are so real, that you instantl find yourself glued to this book. I forced myself to read it in one day, since I could quite literally not put it down. This deserves as much credit as Harry Potter, and although completely different, they both have the power to totally absorb you. Please, read this book! I promise you, whoever you are, whether you are a teacher, a child, a granny or a parent, THIS IS NOT A CHILDRENS BOOK! Do not be put off by the genre. Read it, and marvel at malorie blackman's extraodinary power to deliver the saddest, and most moving story of her carreer. Get your hankies ready, because you will need them! Stunning, superb, simply unmissable! Bravo Mrs. Blackman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've read in a while, 19 Sep 2003
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
"Noughts and crosses" is the best book I think that i have ever read, and I've read a lot. The book is really emotional and you find yourself drawn into the book and really you can't put it down at all. Unlike most books that are done in "diary" form by two people i found myself drawn to both of the characters, not just the one. My friend first told me about it and i knew that i had to read it.
Every time you turn the page you find yourself being pulled in more and more into the world where whites are inferior to blacks and how no blacks (crosses) could ever imagine a world where whites (noughts) were in charge. It is a very racial based story but the wording is chosen well.
Although the book is long, you'll find yourself wanting more and more and not wanting it to end. I wouldn't recommend this book to younger readers as some of the issues raised and the content is for older readers. As you are so easily drawn into the book, it ends suddenly and powerfully with lots of emotion. It made me cry when i read the last couple of pages and found myself thinking bout it the rest of the day. It is a MUST READ!

‹ Previous | 1 2 353 | Next ›

Noughts and Crosses
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (Paperback - 1 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01