5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Mar 2005
S. Edwards-Sim "sme" (uk) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old son adores this story the follow up to the wonderful pumpkin soup. Helen Coopers illustrations are an absolute delight with so much to look at on every page. When Cat Squirrel and Duck run out of salt for the pumpkin soup they have to go to the big city to buy some more. Duck begs to go with cat and squirrel and they agree as long as Duck promises to stay close and not get lost. However when they get to the city Duck becomes preoccupied with getting a pipkin of pepper for the pumpkin soup and the very worst happens: he gets lost in the big city. Its a fun tale full of wonderful animal illustrations and it also hammers home a very important message about what to do when you get lost. A must buy for any fans of Helen Cooper or just of great books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious sequel to 'PUMPKIN SOUP', 19 Dec 2007
A sorry tale with a happy ending, by Helen Cooper, winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal.

`Cat, Squirrel and Duck are three friends who make pumpkin soup together every day.
They always do it the same way, until...... they run out of salt and they go on a big adventure to the City, and things don't turn out quite as planned.....'

I was captivated by the book corner at a recent primary class I visited, in connection with helping young children cook, as part of my course.
The `Pumpkin Soup' books were the source books and `the corner' was alive with the shades of Autumn, and pictures and poems about the three characters, with amazing attention to detail.

`A Pipkin of Pepper', in particular, proved an excellent platform for the project and the children couldn't hide their delight in acting out their little pieces - it sure brought a tear to the eye.
I particularly noticed the flow of lively replacements for the word, `said', which the children really emphasised with apparent ease - e.g. `yelled', `pleaded`, `squawked', `quacked', `murmured`, `squeaked', `howled', `wailed', `shouted', 'bawled' and `clucked', and these words followed through into the written work too.

The 32 high quality page book is a beautifully illustrated, well written tale with a distinct message - the best thing to do if you're ever lost.

Simply delightful book - guaranteed to be a regular choice from the bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pipkin of pepper, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) (Paperback)
I bought all three of the Pumpkin Soup books and used at Hallowe'en. They make a great read, as well as giving ideas to teach across the curriculum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow on from pumpkin soup!, 25 July 2013
A. Avent - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) (Paperback)
My 2 year old loves this book ...had to buy it after we got tired of reading pumpkin soup every night despite it being an excellent book! Great author and adorable illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous purchase. We are now Helen Cooper fans!, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) (Paperback)
I purchased this (and several others by the same author) after reading the reviews of the other buyers. I am pleased to say that this has been a great purchase all around. I had never even heard of Helen Cooper before, but after one sitting with five or six of her books, we're converted! My kids all loved these, and have asked for them to be read every day, multiple times a day, since. The pictures are absolutely delightful, with beautiful, rich colours, and the story lines are completely adorable! The duck reminds us all of our 2 yr old, so we get a kick out of reading these each time. I cannot recommend this author highly enough! If you have a child between 2 and 200, they will love this book (and the others in the series)! 5 stars all around. I will definitely be purchasing more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel tp pumpkin soup., 5 Aug 2009
A. Baker (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) (Paperback)
A nice little sequel, the trio have to go to the city to get more salt for the soup, and Duck begs to go to, he sees a pepper shop and wants to get some pepper, then guess what... he gets lost! Funny and charming and a nice follow up to Pumkin Soup

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original, 24 April 2009
This review is from: A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) (Paperback)
I'm a little disappointed with this sequel. It doesn't match the lyricism of 'Pumpkin Soup', but my sons enjoy the story nonetheless. And it does have the important message: if you get lost, stay where you are, we'll come and find you.
The pictures are great too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This is another one of Helen Cooper's fantastic books, we now have several and they have all been great. It continues the adventure of the characters from Pumpkin Soup and is a lovely read at any time but particularly at bedtime. My two and a half year old loves it.

A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup)
A Pipkin Of Pepper (Pumpkin Soup) by Helen Cooper (Paperback - 6 Oct 2005)
5.24