on 4 September 2010
This book has history, meaning, and a good story close to home. My 6yr old daughter loved it as it was just as her interest for dinosaurs was intensifying, and we had recently returned from a fossil hunting trip to Lyme Regis. Good price & good quality illustrations.
on 18 June 2001
This is the story of Mary Anning, the girl who discovered a dinosaur fossil near the town of Lyme Regis in Dorset. The illustrations are fantastic, with unusual detail and a dream-like quality that appeals to all ages.The book inspired my 7 yr old to go fossil hunting on our holiday in Lyme, and my 3 yr old liked the simple repetition and rhyming.
on 21 May 2011
Shared with Year 3 children whilst studying Rocks and Soils. They have been inspired by the story of Mary Anning as she was a child herself when she found the fossils. Now, my class are all fossil hunters! Lovely book with pretty illustrations.
on 13 September 2013
I knew about Mary Anning and was trying to find a way to teach my 4 and 5 year old about her. My 5 year old loves it. We are planning on visiting Lyme Regis and it was a great way to introduce this amazing woman to our children. I would definitely recommend.
on 9 April 2015
Fantastic book. Images and story that captures the imagination of my 4 and 6 year old children and everyone who happens to read the book to them. My daughter wants to move to Lyme Regis now! Can highly recommend. Not just an educational book, but a lovely story with many different layers as well.
on 12 April 2013
Despite the hurdle of the name calling (though lets face it, kids will do it, so it has to be dealt with, and Anholt handles it sensitively) this is another great Anholt insight. We love his stories in general, this one has inspired us to go fossil hunting
on 12 December 2014
A lovely story with simple and unusual illustrations. My 5 year old daughter loves this story, and it compliments her interest in dinosaurs and fossils brilliantly and yet is a touching and inspirational account of Mary Anning's discoveries.
on 7 February 2016
Wonderful book told in a really descriptive way. I used it as a stimulus for Y2 creative writing as part of our topic on dinosaurs! Illustrations are beautiful & thought provoking. Learning facts through fiction - buy it!
on 14 February 2015
The story seems a good match to the real story and the children in my class enjoyed comparing it to other versions I'm not a huge fan of the illustrations but my 7/8 years olds think they look good
on 9 November 2012
Very nice book, informative, good story, beautifully illustrated, and good positive messages to children implicit in the story. It was fun to read with my seven year old daughter. Excellent!