on 11 November 1999
I have read this story to children from three to seven years old, all receiving it with enthusiasm. It stimulates their imaginations to create suspense until the boy finally opens the cupboard door with his mother. You can draw the children in and see what they think is really behind the door, the story offering a simple explanation to ward off any fears they might have of the dark or unknown. The story is beautifully illustrated with pictures of the bear doing different things, all of which are unbearlike!! He seems to be a loveable bear and is seen at the end of the book to be going on holiday with a bulging suitcase. A pleasure to read to children.
VINE VOICEon 28 May 2004
A lovely tale with charming pictures that survive copying to a smaller format. A story about overcoming fear, and about the way in which a child's imagined world and the real world interact. This format of book is great for journeys and for gifts to remote friends and family.
on 17 October 2005
I found that my little girl of three wouldn't sit and listen to any other books but this one.She listened and copied the Wham , Bang and Thump actions in the book and even started to describe what was in the pictures to me... an exciting read to all 2 year olds. Definately reccomended as it encourages children to read on their own with lots of pictures to describe what is happening and a very simple storyline with twists.
on 5 December 2005
Though my children are a little older now, they loved this wonderful book, they would finish the sentences and hold their noses at the thought of the stinky food. We simply loved it and did the bear exist? What do you think? Wait, who's that hanging from the parachute.
on 12 July 2003
An engaging story and beautifully illustrated text. A book that is a delight to read over and over again.
on 5 June 2000
Bought for my 3yr old daughter it has become the number one bedtime story. The book has been written in a rhythmic way, which is great to read and easily remembered/recited again and again during the day. Beautifully illustrated, it has to be a must for your child's library.
on 10 March 2010
I bought this book for my two year old grandson & he absolutely loves it. He is going through the 'monsters under the bed' stage & I thought it might help alleviate his fears. Not really sure if it's having the desired effect for that problem but he loves it anyway.
on 30 June 2014
My son who is now 18months old absolutely loves this the bear under the stairs book and he has done for a good few months now as soon as his sister read it to him he's not parted with it, he takes it absolutely everywhere. He enjoys others reading it to him as well as taking his turn to tell you whats going on in each page, he likes to point to different things on each page telling you what they are as well as looking for the bear. Its a beautifully illustrated book and such a lovely story. There's nothing scary about this book. My older children love this book too. A bookbfor all ages. I will be purchasing another copy of this as with my son taking it everywhere its getting a bit worse for wear. A much loved book that he thoroughly enjoys.
on 5 June 2016
This is the story of little William who is scared of the place under the stairs. He thinks there's a bear hiding there. For any child with fears of dark places in your own home, this book might help them to see that their fears are all in their imagination. However, I wasn't so pleased with the language choice in this book. It wasn't bad, but it was a little weird. I'm not used to seeing the word pong in a children's story. Plus the pictures were ok, but nothing special. It's cute, but there are definitely better children's books out there.
on 26 January 2011
I have worked with 2 and 3 year olds for almost 12 years. This is one of the best children's books I've ever read. It is from the perspective of a child's imagination, and children can enjoy it on different levels for many years, and I loved to read it from my own perspective as an adult, thinking of what Mum was thinking when she heard there was a bear living under her stairs. The illustrations are amazing, and really add to the story itself. I highly recommend this story to everyone. I'm only sorry it isn't in print in the U.S.