5.0 out of 5 stars Darker, but also the best yet!
This book is excellent! It is a LOT darker than previous discworld books, although the guards series have been heading this way. It isn't a fantasy book (although I don't think the discworld series has been for a while). Vimes is sent back in time, to a Ankh Morpork which doesn't have dwarves, trolls etc, and so it is a story with Vimes very definitely the central...
Published on 11 Nov 2002 by Nigel

3.0 out of 5 stars Really like the book, but...
I'm not sure if i just has a duff copy, but there is only one track on each CD. I am rarely in a position where i will sit down for 60 minutes at a time so i appreciate when they split each CD up into approx 5 minute tracks. These CDs usually are split this way so I'm a little concerned that this is bootleg.
Published on 25 Oct 2010 by D. Lang

‹ Previous | 119 20 21 22 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker but just as good, 18 Nov 2002
P. Kirby "PK" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
When I read the sleeve of this latest offering I was a little worried about the old time travel idea, but infact Pratchett worked this in brilliantly and tied in all the all favourite characters.
I found this book a lot darker and it seemed to have a higher than normal death count. The battles actual happened but it all was done expertly. I would highley recommend this to anyone out there, Pratchett fan or not. Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars we're going to get cheesed (like creamed but it takes a lot longer), 3 Dec 2006
This book sees more of the same from Pratchett, and although I'm a big fan of most of his work I don't think this will go down as a classic. Basically it's good but it's not great. It's funny enough but not laugh out loud hilarious... I recommend it to fans of the city watch but over all it seems like the novel was rushed a bit... I refer to the excessive focus on barricades in particular which seems rather repetitive. I give this 4 because when Terry hits the mark he is great but if I was a little less forgiving I'd've given this only 3. The book isn't bad but I wouldn't recommend it to discworld newcomers... read guard guards! men at arms, interesting times or hogfather instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. But that's about all., 14 Nov 2003
H. Power (England) - See all my reviews
I realise that I seem to be going against the general opinion here, and I apologise for what I'm about to say, but I think it's time for Terry Pratchett to move on from the Discworld series. Before anyone decides to hunt me down and mob me for this opinion, I'd just like to say that I've got a huge amount of admiration for Terry Pratchett, have read most of the Discworld series, and think that his books maybe alone are the only ones you can read over and over and over again without getting bored. But the last few just haven't been quite as good.
Night Watch is ok, but it's not as sharp, or clever, or funny as the majority of the Discworld books. I get the feeling that all the ideas, the charatcter traits, the clever observations, have been over-used just a bit too much. Night Watch is perfectly readable, but if it's one of your first Discworld books then I'd advise you to go and read something else instead first. As most of them are better - for example Jingo, Soul Music, Wyrd Sisters, Interesting Times, Lords and Ladies, The Hogfather...

1.0 out of 5 stars Who decided on one continuous track?, 28 Sep 2012
I know and love the book. The abridging for audio is not as bad as many Pratchetts and Tony Robinson is fine as reader. There is only one track throughout the whole of each cd. To get back to where I left the book takes for ever. Might as well use tapes. Silly mistake that makes this almost useless. One star for stupidity. Otherwise 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars careful with the formatting if you have a Kindle Touch, 6 Mar 2012
Vaila Spencer (Scotland) - See all my reviews
this, like all pratchetts books is fabulous, but its not transferred well to the kindle, specifically the kindle touch. the Touch changes chapter when the scrren is touched down the long axis. in a normal book with chapters this is fine as it skips either forward or backwards, but Night Watch has no chapters as such so it merely jumps to either the start or the end of the book. unless you know what location you were on its a real pain finding your page again. its a definite problem, to the extent that i returned the book. this is a shame as Night Watch is one of my favourite Pratchetts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 26 Jan 2005
Barry Cunningham "bazc" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Quite simply this is a wonderful book. It is beautifuly written, it has all the usual Pratchett footnotes and humour but it has more. It is a culmination of the Sam Vimes story. He has moved from cartoon copper to fully rounded human being. This is one of the finest books I have read in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the whole series, 27 July 2004
Nightwatch has to be the best book of the whole Discworld series. Dark atmosphere, a city in turmoil, a load of major characters in surprising roles, and the dark sarcasm of Vimes create a book that won't let you go for a long time...

3.0 out of 5 stars Darkly comic return to Ankh-Morpork - but a bit iffy !, 25 Mar 2003
Terry Pratchett is a national treasure, and always leaves me with something to buy the missus for Christmas, so I can forgive him for anything, even the ending to this book.
"Nightwatch" is an opportunity to revisit the famous Ankh-Morpork City Watch from a different angle - although almost predictably, in a plot stolen from your favourite tired sci-fi TV series, it's a time-travel wormhole that dumps Samuel Vimes back into his own past. Ostensibly, Vimes has to confront his nemesis, an arch-fiend named Carcer that has also been shot back into the past in "Terminator" stylee, but in true Pratchett style there are plenty of sub-plots to keep you busy.
Unfortunately the sub-plots take control and ramble on a bit before reaching the classical Pratchett rushed, staccato ending. The arch-villain Carcer has fallen a bit by the wayside by this point, and since he's rather two-dimensional in the first place it's a bit difficult to see where he comes in at all. The exploration of the origins of some of the well-known Morporkians could have been a massive source of entertainment, but clearly Terry's run out of space by the end & it all goes a bit pear-shaped. Although Sam Vimes' younger self drifts in and out of the story, again the possibilities for interaction between an older and younger Vimes aren't really explored, and Terry's enthusiasm for current frontier physics to explain the time travel nonsense(see "Science of the Discworld") leaves me a bit cold. Explaining the magic truly is "unweaving the rainbow" in this case.
The black cover goes part of the way to showing the theme of the book - it's not really a comic novel in the way of the other Discworld books, it's a darkly-humorous exploration of the soul of Sam Vimes. Ultimately, though, it's a bit disappointing, and the time travel possibilities aren't explored - the Ankh-Morpork of the past isn't really the "foreign country" that you expect - people don't do things all that differently there.
Like Sam Vimes after a bit of time travel, I reached the complicated ending thinking "what the hell just happened ?" and couldn't make sense of it. I think even the proofreader gave up by the end, as the dialogues don't seem to be enclosed properly. A fun journey into the complicated machinations of Ankh-Morpork's recent past, but ultimately it's not as entertaining or explorative as it could have been.
Never mind. I hope Terry keeps turning them out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best, 6 Nov 2002
As a confirmed (some would say obsessed) Pratchett fan i would gladly buy and enjoy his shopping list if it became available, however his most recent works have become a little predictable and it is his characterisation as apposed to his plotlines that have kept me turning the page.
I am thrilled to say that this is not the case with Night Watch, the story is origional and giggelingly enjoyable, if you are already a fan this book will take you back to the good old days of Reaper Man and Guards Guards, if you are new to Mr P this book will get you as hooked as the rest of the Guild of Fans and Obsessives. Long may it continue and any J K Rowling fans out there welcome to the original and still the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 25 Nov 2003
Terry Pratchett is a great writer at the worst of times, and this book is Fantastic! Some incredibly insightful observations, and although not his funniest of novels, still successfully witty! Enjoyed it emensely, couldnt put it down (nearly missed my stop on the train).

‹ Previous | 119 20 21 22 | Next ›

Night Watch: (Discworld Novel 29) (Discworld Novels)
Night Watch: (Discworld Novel 29) (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Paperback - 13 Feb 2014)