5.0 out of 5 stars An example of how comedians should write an autobiography
I've read a fair few comedians' autobiographies recently and one thing that separates Lee Mack's is the fact that he doesn't crowbar his stand-up act into the book in a jarring fashion. Where he does include bits from his act he references the fact.

Published on 4 Oct. 2012 by M. A. Deacon

3.0 out of 5 stars still no clearer
After trawling through this book i've come to the conclusion that i really don't know much about about Lee Mack as a person than before I started it.
It's basically a very detailed history of his career but doesn't give much insight into what makes him tick, his wife and kids and friends.
As much as I like Lee i feel this book is far too guarded. Franks Skinners...
Published 23 months ago by mick h

5.0 out of 5 stars An example of how comedians should write an autobiography, 4 Oct. 2012
M. A. Deacon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mack The Life (Kindle Edition)

I've seen reviews of other comedians criticising the coverage of the book, but what I liked about this one is the fact that certain omissions have been justified (basically that not the entirety of the author is "on sale" when they write an autobiography). So, if you want to read in depth about Lee's family history this might not be your book. If you want to know how he got into comedy and a take on life on the grassroots comedy scene (I really did try to think of a better way to say that) then I'm sure you'll enjoy this book.

Overall I enjoyed the book very much and would certainly not hesitate to recommend it. Funny, well-written and interesting. Of course, I really like Lee Mack as a comedian so the interest for me is obviously a given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and very funny, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
Throughout the book Lee has included sessions with his shrink. This is a very clever way to convey his unique, funny thoughts and reflect on his views and experience of the comedy circuit. If you are a fan Lee Mack or stand up comedy this is a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Don't get the psychiatrist bits, 22 Jan. 2013
C. Graham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
I am a huge Lee Mack fan so my wife brought me this for Christmas. The book doesn't really delve too much into his family or really into his personal life that much. It concentrates on his career path that took in golf, horse racing and holiday camps. It also concentrates on his attitude to comedy and how he produces his sitcom Not Going Out and how he develops his stand up.
However in between the chapters is a script of him with a psychiatrist. I didn't really get this bit. I am not sure if it suppose to be a joke. If he did really go and see a psychiatrist or what it was suppose to really achieve or say. To be honest half way through the book I had got so bored reading these bits I skipped them. Its a shame as this is a really interesting and good read and would have got 5 stars. He also falls into the trap of trying to make a joke out of things to the point on some occasions you struggle to know if he is being serious or joking.
His writing prose is as if he is with you and it would be interesting to see him write a full length novel.
If you are a fan of Lee Mack, enjoy Not Going Out or just interested in comedians and the comedy world in general I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and a great guide for comedy., 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
Getting the book I knew that it would not be a personal, revealing account of his life. Anybody who regularly watches this man on TV will know that he doesn't like talking about his private life.

What is brilliant though is that you still get an insightful view of how different aspects of his life evoked his love for comedy and giving a detailed description on how hard it was for him to get into comedy. Also he does make an effort to be more revealing by getting a psychiatrist to analyse the book, and these recordings are included in the book.

But there were some parts was when he went on random rants throughout the book, including little footnotes on how he felt about certain issues such as actors and Twitter. For me, that what made this book really funny, because this is what I love about this man.

In summary, a great insight on how to get into comedy but most of all, absolutely hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable; very funny, 1 Nov. 2012
N. Wood (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. It's true, you have to want to read about Lee Mack - and I did. It was very funny and you could really 'hear' him through the book. Interestingly, it contains very little about his life now (he mentions in passing his children), and, although that's what I normally want autobiographies to cover, in this case, I was quite happy it didn't. Because I was reading it on a Kindle, I found the footnotes faintly annoying, but all-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't all autobiographies be like this? Wonderful., 7 May 2013
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mack The Life (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Lee Mack's various appearances on TV, particularly in his sitcom Not Going Out and the panel show Would I Lie To You, I was sure he had an interesting back story. This book proves that he has, and not only that, it is told with frankness, honesty and enormous humour.
Lee engaged a psychiatrist to read through each chapter and offer her insights - how many of us would be brave enough to do that?
What struck me throughout the book is how grounded Lee was, and is, coming from a background with firm working class roots, as part of a single parent family from the age of 11.

He saw comedians as something special, an elite and just couldn't imagine joining them. A YTS scheme saw him become a stable lad for racehorse trainer 'Ginger' McCain; the first horse he sat on was the legendary Red Rum. Lee is touchingly proud of this and of his association with the equine superstar.
I also warmed to him as a person with a sense of what really matters in life. When revealing that the woman he got together with in his first week of university had remained his partner and is now his wife, Lee used the word 'delighted' and not ironically either.

There are a lot of insights into the comedy scene, but Lee also has dignity enough not to do the dirty on others; even those who stole his material. (It's now widely known that one of these was Australian comedian Jordan Paris, not a household name.) Lee happily admits to being so naive at the start of his career that he retold a joke on stage without realising it was one of Tim Vine's - ironically.

Lee is fulsome in his praise and admiration of others, constantly self-deprecating and phenomenally hard-working. His story is enormously entertaining and I absolutely loved the ending, which was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mack The Life (Kindle Edition)
Book is funny and well written. Enjoyed the external perspective by the psychiatrist. The book provides good behind the scenes look at the comedy stand up industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExcLEEent Read, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
This book is a briliant read for all those who are fans of Lee Mack/Not Going Out.His life from schoolboy to Comedy Superstar is engaging juney which takes you along for the ride.
The book oozes comedic moments and along with the analysis at the end of each chapter it will be a challenge to keep your ;augh inside of you.

YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, read it and laugh!, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mack The Life (Kindle Edition)
First off - I really enjoyed reading this book. The exchanges with Brian the shrink at the end of every chapter often had me in stitches. Lee writes about himself in the 3rd person in these sections, which somehow, cleverly, makes them even more hilarious.

Lee is a very funny man, no doubt about it, and the book describes his journey into the world of stand-up comedy and beyond in a way that I'm sure would inspire anyone with similar ambitions to have a go.

So why haven't I rated the book with 5 stars? Well, for two main reasons: firstly I'd have liked to know a little more about how Lee's family life progressed alongside his professional life. I can understand why he maybe wouldn't want to subject his nearest and dearest to the kind of scrutiny this could entail, but a little more detail wouldn't have gone amiss. I did also find my enjoyment of the book started to falter for some reason (though only slightly) from the point at which Lee had 'made it big'. I guess like many things in life, the journey can sometimes be more interesting than the destination - that isn't the author's fault, and may say more about me as a reader than him as a writer.

So, buy it, read it and laugh - I'm glad I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars still no clearer, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mack The Life (Hardcover)
As much as I like Lee i feel this book is far too guarded. Franks Skinners warts and all autobiography is a far more compelling and
enlightening read in my opinion.

Mack The Life
Mack The Life by Lee Mack (Paperback - 11 April 2013)