Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 May 2013
This is probably not a book that would normally have been near the top of my TBR pile. I haven't read it before, haven't read any reviews and only had the synopsis to go on; and decided that while it sounded okay, I wasn't going to bust a gut when I've got so many other things I want to read.

BUT. Then I discovered that Rosalyn Landor had narrated the audiobook, and as I've been glomming her stuff big time lately, I changed my mind.

This is one of those times when I think the performance elevated my enjoyment of what would probably -in print - have been a fairly ordinary book. The story starts out with an assassin deciding - rather like Snow White's huntsman - that he can't kill the princess, but unlike the huntsman, he takes her away with him to England and brings her up as a lady rather than leaving her to roam the woods and shack up with seven vertically-challenged forest-dwellers.

On Alana's eighteenth birthday, her `guardian' (known as Poppy) sits her down to tell her the truth. She's not his niece and she's the heir to the throne of Lubinia (a fictional country somewhere where there's lots of snow and hot guys in tight uniforms with sexy accents).

Alana is devastated by the news and doesn't believe it. But there is unrest in Lubinia due to the king's lack of an heir and the country is facing civil war - so there is only one thing to do. Alana must return to take up her rightful place, and Poppy is going to find out once and for all who paid him to kill the baby princess.

With Poppy's warnings about the need for caution in her ears, Alana heads for the palace to present herself to her father. She goes alone - if Poppy (formerly Leonard Kasner, aka "Rastibon") is discovered he will be imprisoned or shot on sight, so he leaves her to her own devices while he heads off to track his quarry. After all, as well as learning to sing and embroider tablecloths like any other English lady, Alana has been trained to fence, shoot and box, so she can take care of herself.

After a long wait at the palace, Alana encounters the captain of the guard, the mouth-wateringly gorgeous Count Christoph Becker. After mistakenly thinking she's come to the palace looking to find herself a powerful `protector' (nudge, nudge) he then informs her that she's the latest in a line of imposters who have presented themselves as the princess and then proceeds to interrogate her and behave like a complete a**hat.

But the thing is, because of Ms Landor's exceptional acting abilities, I couldn't dislike him for it! She gave him a sexy accent with just the right amount of arrogance to be attractive and brought out the humour in his frequent double-entendres and suggestive comments; so while I was listening knowing I should be rolling my eyes at his total lack of PC (or, as Alana would have said, his "barbaric tendencies"), I wasn't.

Once the two of them met (which was a fair way into the story) things started to move at a cracking pace. Christoph doesn't believe Alana's story for almost the whole of the book, but he does at least decide to give her the benefit of the doubt. There are a couple of plot twists and turns which make for an enjoyable romp (one of which I didn't see coming) and some rather charming scenes featuring Christoph's family - all of whom were superbly and distinctively voiced.

While I found Christoph rather attractive (I know *hangs head*. He's an alpha-a**hat, but so disarming with it!), Alana was rather annoying at times. She slept with Christoph and then kept him at a distance while desperate for more; insisted on thinking of him as a barbarian, which he plainly wasn't and didn't get to display her kick-ass fighting skillz, which I thought was rather a shame. On the positive side, she was brave and intelligent (mostly) and the banter between her and Christoph - while being a little too modern at times - was probably the best thing about the book.

The ending is rather rushed. Alana is restored to her father and he immediately wants to marry her off to the head of the opposing faction in order to secure peace. As she's in love with her gorgeous captain, she is naturally not best pleased - but this is a romance, so it all works out in the end.

I'm sure that if I'd read the book, I wouldn't have enjoyed it half so much as I did listening to it. Rosalyn Landor's narration was as well-paced and beautiful as ever, and she invests even the minor characters with their own distinct voices.

"When Passion Rules" isn't something I'd recommend if you want a book to take seriously, but it was a fun romp for when you want to put your brain into "park" and have a rest and a bit of unabashed fun. And failing that, you can just stare at the cover model. Because. Day-um! ;-)
on 19 March 2012
I bought this kindle version as I am an avid Johanna Lindsey fan but I was bitterly disappointed and felt I paid far too much for the book. The book is not up to her usual standard (when I say 'usual' I mean similar to the Viking/Arabian & Russian series, and the earlier Malory series which to be honest has been milked enough!), the storyline seems to be the same old structure and the romantic connection between the main characters is seriously flawed. I bought it as I own every single one of her books but to be honest over the last few years everything she has published seems to be churned out using the same recipe and its getting very boring. I doubt I will continue to buy her books as they do not keep me as interested as they used to.
on 22 February 2013
I've read many books and probably all Lindsey's, but I haven't come across such a good one in a long time. The plot is refreshing, comparing to other authors and Lindsey's books unique (stolen princess by her assassin), the main characters are witty, smart, entertaining and not at all boring. There were even some unexpected twists in the plot - which was a great surprise.
The only thing that bothered me a little was that the heroine, who is presumingly very good at dealing with guns and swords, hasn't really "used her talent" much, which I kind of expected.

But overall, I HIGHLY recommend this book!
on 14 May 2012
I read this book really quickly because it was quite addictive. It even surprised me even though I have read so many JL books that I can kind of guess her work. But she had me surprised and the last time I had a shock reading her book was the twist in Tender is the Storm. Great book, I highly recommend it. Downside.. male character could have been developed a bit more before they actually got together but there really wasn't enough pages to do that, so I am sure that got cut out in the editing!
on 13 May 2012
I usually enjoy the Lindsey books and her Malory series has been truly exceptional. This story was not at all of the same calibre. It was too tepid.

Far from the fiery conflict/passion that has been Lindsey's hallmark in other books, Alana and Christopher lack "it". I was disappointed and didn't feel that they were meant for each other. They just seemed to let others dictate their destiny to them throughout and didn't really earn their happily-ever-after.
on 5 August 2011
Love reading Johanna's books. Some loose ends but otherwise, lots of surprises in the plot. Naturally, the cover is attracting.
on 8 March 2013
Loved this book, johanna never fails to impress her hero's are always a league more attractive than other authors. This story is a like a breath of fresh air after reading other samey historical romances, unexpected twists and a fulfilling end :)
on 26 February 2013
The initial part of the story of so sweet and inspiring, the meat of the story is similarly well written however it is difficult to believe some of it, even though leniencies must be made in that it is a romance novel
on 20 December 2012
Another good book from Johanna Lindsey. Well developed characters with an interesting plot.
Lost a star because I feel the end was rather rushed.
on 8 April 2014
I have been reading Johanna Lindsey's books for years. Some I liked very much and some I did not like at all. This book is my favourite so far.