5.0 out of 5 stars Seconded!
I've now read all Les's books, and, whilst I agree that the 're-branding' of this book leads to disappointment, its content doesn't.
Published on 21 Aug. 2012 by Rocker

very disappointed also think its quite naughty and will put people
off buying his future NEW books

5.0 out of 5 stars Seconded!, 21 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
OK ... I'll come clean, I worked alongside Les in the 80's & 90's, serving my time at 'The Street'. I put in more hours per day in the 1989 Dispute than ever I did on the road, and was always amazed at the kindness and generosity of the people of B'ham. From 5am starts on the 'ramp' in New St, (entrance to the Bull Ring), to the evenings around the Brazier at the Street with Colour Sgt Cox, from the communal meals provided by Olga's Curry, JJ's Bacon Butties and M&S Foodhall's "sell by" goodies to the long nights in Curzon St from where we operated our own Birmingham City approved Ambulance Service , I came to know and respect many in the 'old' WMAS. For many years I worked at Coventry and in South B'ham, many of the tales Les relates were echoed or repeated in those areas.
Like Les, I could fill books with tales of unusual calls and heart rending cases. It was not unusual for some of us to cry with the relatives of deceased babies, or to explode with anger at another senseless domestic violence case. I saw good and evil on a daily basis. I dealt with 8 murders in one year. I was placed under 24hr armed police guard when a gang sought to shut me up, and the mortuary became a second home at times.
However, as one can discern in Les's writings,as the years passed, things were getting worse. As Dave, a 28 years service veteran, said to me when he retired early, "When the laughter stops, Its time to get out son!"
So, faced with Corporate Politics and a fragile mental state bought on by 30+ years of emergency service work, I 'got out' ... just as Les did.
This book is the best illustration of the nightmare that Ambulance work in a big, busy City can become. Read it, it's an era lost forever now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dial 999, 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Yes, do BEWARE, I had already bought and read Blue Lights and Long Nights and was looking forward to this new book arriving. Alas I was to find out that it is the same book but under a new title. PLEASE DONT DO THIS publishers.

1.0 out of 5 stars How sad, 20 Aug. 2011
P. N. Abbiss (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Very disappointed to find that this new book by Les Pringle was actually a reprint of a previous book only under a new title.

1.0 out of 5 stars duplicate copies, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Like many others I am really annoyed to have bought this book only to find it's a reprint.Different title - different cover - different story NO! It's such a mean trick of the publishers. Yes the info is inside - in very small print, but who has time to read everything when searching for a promising book.
My daughter bought the new copy and was gutted to see we still had the old one on the shelf (read by her not by me). This happens all too often and is very underhanded. The old title should be on the front at least with info that the book is a reprint.

Play fair publishers.

Les I've seen your messages and don't blame you in the least.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Ive given it four stars because of the condition of the book. Well read and well bent but its ok.

The contents are spot on as usual with Les Pringles work... he and I served around the same time but I was with
Liverpool.

Les covers it all..the highs and lows, and although I recommend this book to all ex ambulance personel of that era
I also recommend it to none ex ambulance workers as an insight to how it used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambulance Service in the 60-70, 28 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
I was in fits of laughter the way Les writes, it brought back many memories of my days as a nurse,when I had occasion to escort patients with the Ambulance crews to other hospitals. His humour when writing his accounts, was so true to this time.
I would recommend all of Les Pringles Books.

My only disappointment was that I had already read the book under the title of Call the Ambulance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Naughty publishers playing around with titles, 13 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Very disappointed to find out this was not a new book but a republication of an old favourite. They should not be misleading customers like this- it is in very small letter on the back of the book that it is a republication.

The book itself is a good book, which i originally read a few years back.

Shame on you publishers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duplicated story, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Dial 999! (Paperback)
Unfortunately I purchased this book along with another book (Blue Lights and Long Nights) by same author only to find that both were the same story !
I suppose the fault is mine as I should have sampled the story via the Kindle, before buying and not just relied on liking an author's earlier book.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dial 999! (Kindle Edition)
A sad,funny and interesting read, i cried and laughted reading this book, a good insight into the workings of the ambulance service

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dial 999!
Dial 999! by Les Pringle (Paperback - 4 Aug. 2011)