4.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down!
This book is quite long at 555 pages but it wasn't a problem as I enjoyed each one.
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Dot

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out 5 stars then dwindled down to 3.
Sweet, bookish Neve Slater always plays by the rules. And the number one rule is that good-natured fat girls like her don't get guys like gorgeous, handsome William, heir to Neve's heart since university. But William's been in LA for three years, and Neve's been slimming down and re-inventing herself so that when he returns, he'll fall head over heels in love with the...
Published on 20 Nov 2011 by StarPlayer

4.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down!, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
Neve is holding out for William who she met at Oxford University, he has been in LA for the last 3 years and their only contact has been emails and long, long, handwritten letters. However, Neve is convinced that William is 'The One' and so she is doing everything to be ready for his return. William is in for a shock though as Neve is half the woman she was; Neve's weight and her quest to lose it is a huge part of her life. At first I found this aspect of the character a little off-putting but as I learnt more about Neve and the negative impact her weight has had on her life, I began to like and understand her a lot more.
Neve lives in a house converted into flats, she has the top floor, her little sister Celia the bottom floor and then her brother Douglas and his nasty wife Celia have other one. Charlotte is a pretty nasty piece of work; she made Neve's life hell by bullying her about her size at school and she still manages to intimidate her now. Neve's sister Celia is a lovely character, she works for a fashion magazine and she introduces Neve to Max, one of the editors. Max is very much a ladies man and Celia warns her big sister to keep her distance. But it is Max who os the persistent one, following Neve home, trying to charm his way into her pants.
Realising that Max is not going to give up, Neve decides that he could be a good relationship practice before William returns. Ground rules are set; no holding hands, no sex and it will all be over once William is back on British soil. So much to everyone's surprise, Max and Neve embark on a pretend relationship, they have dates, share the same bed but there are no strings attached. Well there shouldn't be but once Neve realises that their time together is coming to an end she begins to wonder if William really is 'The One' and what will life be like without Max?
Sarra Manning has written an excellent book. Neve has bit of the Bridget Jones factor about her in that she is a woman that many female readers will completely identify with. She has aspirations, insecurities, fears and needs; she just didn't bet on Max becoming one of them.
You Don't Have to Tell Me That You Love Me is an absorbing, sexy read. Max and Neve are really well formed characters and I was a bit sad when I got to the last page. This really is a great book and I shall look out for others by Sarra Manning in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
Loved Sarra's first novel 'Unsticky' and couldn't wait for this to come out...and it didn't disappoint! Sarra has a great ability to create characters such as Neve and Max which are more interesting to read about than your average "chick-lit" book. Another plus point for anyone who loved 'Unsticky' is that Sarra re-introduces the 'Skirt' fashion magazine as part of the plot using Celia's character. Also, loved the small passing reference about Vaughn from her previous novel. Funny, well-written and impossible to put down! Highly anticipate her next adult novel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me is one of my favourite books of all time. The main character Neve is a bookish, previously overweight woman who is in love with her university friend William. After learning that William is returning to England after three years abroad Neve throws herself into the dating world to gain experience before his return. Max is an outgoing playboy who volunteers to be Neve's 'pancake boyfriend' (practice boyfriend)
Sarra Manning has created a novel which is so much more than the usual two-dimensional chick-lit. The length of the novel means that the growing intimacy between Max and Neve is not rushed, and therefore the ending is so much more satisfying and meaningful than other novels of this genre.
I loved the characters of Max and Neve as their flaws and characteristics are relatable and real. Although the novel is long I could have easily read another 500 pages about Max and Neve. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me is funny, romantic and will leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling long after you have finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manning does it again!, 18 Mar 2011
Miss Simms "Monkey Dust" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
At the age of 23 I can remember picking up my first issue of J17 at 13 and becoming obsessed with the adventures of Edie in Manning's monthy collum 'Diary of a Crush'. I've grown up on Sarra's stories and followed her onto ELLEgirl when she become editor there, she's always had the knack of speaking to me and making me feel simultaneously less like a weirdo and in awe of these cool, quirky girls. So I was more then happy when she started wrting full length teen novels, in fact I still buy and read them! Obviously now I can't relate to them as easily being in my 20s now but I still enjoy them.
So for Manning to start writing adult novels was a joyous occasion for me (especially as they give me a glorious break from researching for my degree!). I quikly devoured 'Unsticky' and did the same for this. I hunted it down in my local bookshop on the day of it's release as I couldn't wait for it to be delivered, and I'm so glad I did!
This book struck a real chord with me, more so then any of her past books; adult or not. Growing up I was incredibly overweight and although I'm a 'normal' and healthy size now I can sympathise with Neve's struggles in fact I fount myself relating to Neve's inner struggles with her weight and also her confidence all too much. The last time I fount myself empathizing like this was to The Perfect 10.
I fount this book not only entertaining but also very touching.

I egaerly look forward to Sarra's third adult novel and beyond!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 18 Feb 2011
Englishrose (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
Loved reading every page of this book, utterley brilliant and highly recommended. Perfect old fashioned chick lit with a refreshing view and tale. Manning hits the nail perfectly on the head by knowing the insecurities and thoughts of women everywhere. Fantastic tale of love, friendship, self belief with fantastic sexy characters and makes a brilliant tale for all to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I you liked Un-sticky...., 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
When I saw that Sarra had another adult novel coming out I was so excited! I absolutely loved Un-sticky so I really could not wait to get my hands on, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me.
Sarra has such a wonderful writing style and an amazing talent for developing characters in her books who you really grow to love and feel for emotionally. I really could not put this book down (my boyfriend even asked on valetines morning if he may get some attention that evening because I had 'been negelecting' him!!!) it had me totally gripped and wanting to know more the whole way through. It really is a great read.
Keep up the good work Sarra, I can't wait for the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chicklit, 3 Nov 2013
I LOVED this book. I mean really loved it. From the very beginning I felt sorry for Neve. Since I was a child I've always had a problem with being overweight. Not masively so but I always weighed more than I should. I blame this on my love of chocolate. But only in the past few years have I actually done something about it. Well tried to. My point being that I understood Neve when all she wanted to do was give in and have that bit of something she really, really shouldn't. I understood her self confidence issues and I could see why she is the way she is.

I really didn't like William. I just found him a bit of a sap. Max on the other hand well I like him, even if he is a man slut. From the beginning of this book I could predict the ending. I mean it is a chicklit book afterall. Even though I knew how it was going to end I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the journey.

I am glad Manning included the bullying storyline. Bullying can really traumatise you and not just while you are at school. It can lead to issues later in life especially if you are still exposed to that bully. Even if you try to change yourself in order to stop the bullying it never works. The only way to beat a bully is to not care.

I loved Neve's sister. She was fun and slightly mad and I would love it if Manning wrote a book about her.

I would most definitely recommend this book. It is a great chick lit read with some laughs as well as some tears. It has everything you need for a perfect book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Paperback)
This was the first of Sara Manning's books I had read and I enjoyed it so much, I have now devoured the rest....one of the best and more realistic of books I have read of this nature in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved every minute of this, 31 Aug 2013
When I saw that this was being released I knew I had to download it after loving Unsticky, another of Sarra's novels. I liked the description and thought it was likely to be something else I enjoyed.

Neve is a mere shadow of her former self, she has dieted and exercise to lose literally inches of her life in anticipation of the return of her love William, from America. She is relying on her sister to help her become a fabulous, girl-friend worthy woman in all her slimmed-down glory. Deciding that she needs to "test-drive" her dating techniques to prepare herself for a proper relationship when William gets back, Neve starts a "pancake" relationship with notorious, sexy womaniser Max. To Neve a the relationship with Max is like making a batch of pancakes, the first always gets thrown away - Max being the pancake that is disposed of therefore perfect for a test relationship.

I liked Neve straight away, she has many traits which are readily recognisable to so many girls in today's society. I also liked the idea of the story and the path I thought it was going to take as she embarks on the test relationship with Max, learning the do's and don'ts so she is relationship ready.

While Max isn't looking for a serious relationship, he is more than happy to be the test subject. I liked how the characters related with each other, finding if full of humour as Neve is always reacting to Max in an unexpected way. Max appears to be attractive even though Neve seems completely unaffected - partly because of her love for William.

It seems as though William doesn't really care about her, and takes advantage of Neve. She is completely nave which is blatantly obvious and completely due to her inhibitions about her appearance which have led to her inexperience.

Neve also has family drama which you discover has played a part in her past and led her to the way she was before she took the decision to slim down. It makes the story more accessible as readers will be able to relate to this aspect of her life and how whatever decisions they have made, have made them who they are.

I found that this was quite an easy read and that I didn't want to put it down once I'd started. If you've read Unsticky I would definitely recommend this.

Erin x

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!!!, 16 Aug 2013
I first came across this book when I received it free with another purchase, and I'm so glad I did. It's a great book funny and serious at the same time and also the sibling rivalry is down to a tee. Another good thing is it shows you DON'T!have to be a size 0 to snag the hottie :)

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)
5.99