5.0 out of 5 stars Educating jack

Published on 27 Feb 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Educating jack, 25 Jan 2012
Lynne Mckeag (West lothian Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
Absolutely fantastic book. yet again jack brings the Rageley village to life in such a way that you feel as though the characters are talking to you. Loved the 5 legged zebra and george and the dragon and had tears running down my face as i was reading the book in the middle of a coffee shop. I got some strange looks when i started to laugh out loud but just couldn't stop myself . have read all of jacks books but this was I first kindle one and I loved the fact that i didn't have to go searching shops for my fav author or have to wait until the postie dropped it through the door. I would recommend this book to everyone the music he talks about in the books bring back so many memories of my school years and I just love all the books

A must read

lynne mckeag

5.0 out of 5 stars weaved his magic fingers, 24 Jan 2012
Janet Davies (Falmouth Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
I loved reading this book, Jack Sheffield can make the story feel like it's real and not make believe, the children say funny things, but they don't realize it, I loved this book from beginning to end, but it was sad to get to the end, because I didn't want it to come to the end, very often while reading it, I'd laugh like crazy, it was so funny, and I'd get funny looks from my partner.

I highly recommend this book to others, you will love it, I can't wait until the next one,

Janet Davies
Falmouth
Cornwall

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliant book from Jack Sheffield, 24 Jan 2012
A. Stanton "A Stanton" (Chislehurst, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
I got this delivered on Tuesday 17th Jan and by Saturday 21st I had finished it- I couldn't put it down. I have read all of the books in the series so far and this book is just as magical and charming as the rest. I have been well and truly sucked into Jack and Beth's life and as a primary school teacher myself I can relate to all parts of Jack's school life. I can't wait for book 7. Well done Jack.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
Hugely disappointed. Waited a whole year to see how the dramatic cliffhanger of the accident would be resolved to find that it was done so in a matter of a few pages almost as an afterthought. The relationships between the characters is starting to irritate as they do not seem to progress from the previous books. The conversations between Jack and Laura were almost predictable and slightly ridiculous. The only saving grace was the wedding which was nicely done. Its a shame because I have loved this series of books and looked forward to each one coming out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Jack Sheffield, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
As with all the previous books by Jack Sheffield, this one covers a complete school year. Picking up in the September following the dramatic events at the end of the previous title, the cliffhanger is soon resolved and we're off into the next school year.

Covering the highs and lows of life at Radley School and the wider area as usual, this is of the same high standard. I always enjoy the popular culture references, as I was growing up in the early '80s and share many of Jack's memories of the period. I found the chapters covering the school-leavers particularly poignant this time, as they are characters in their own right with whom we have shared the entire series.

With no real cliffhanger ending and with the winds of change looming I wonder if this will be the last Jack Sheffield book, which would be a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding gem, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
Having spent all year on the cliffhanger left from the last book, I couldn't read Educating Jack quick enough, and as ever it did not disappoint. Those happy days of education when teaching was what it should be. Thank you Jack so much - next instalment please.

5.0 out of 5 stars More a comment on the series than the book, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
My wife and I discovered Jack's books sometime in late September of last year. Since then these delightfully gentle, sensitive, and touching volumes of memoirs have been our favorite reading as I look for an academic appointment in a recession economy and my wife completes her student teaching at a local elementary school. We live in rural Vermont in the north-eastern United States, which is a continent and several decades away from north Yorkshire in the early eighties. Yet we both identify with and relate to the children, the pleasures, the travails, and the beauty Jack writes about. It's this that has made this series so dear to us. Thanks Jack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypical characterisations, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Educating Jack (Kindle Edition)
I am a retired school nurse and worked during the period Jack Sheffield writes about and the books bring back very happy memories of my work in similar types of schools. They also epitomise the essence of the late seventies and early eighties so well, hinting at the changes and innovations that were on the horizon, not only for education but for society in general.
However I do have a bone to pick about how Mr Sheffield represents the stereotypical "salt of the earth" types who use an inordinate amount of malapropisms and who come across as eccentric, a little bit dim and not too well educated and I feel that a slight sense of benign condescension is being shown towards these particular Yorkshire folk! The professionals however appear to be more erudite and far more sensible, again stereotypical.
In general though I do think the books are well written, very readable and very enjoyable and although I know that I will be irritated at times I will still buy the latest one in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars EDUCATING JACK, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
this book is excellent reading, poignant, funny and nostalgic for the 1980's. very easy reading and leaves you wanting the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carole Johnson, 23 Jan 2012
C. A. Johnson (Wiltshire England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educating Jack (Paperback)
I loved this book and finished it all too quickly. The character of the head is of a lovely gentle man much like those I taught for early in my career. The children in the story are, as ever,
a delight. I would recommend this book and all the others in the series. Enjoy each and every one!

Educating Jack
Educating Jack by Jack Sheffield (Paperback - 13 Sep 2012)
5.59