4.0 out of 5 stars The craft of graft
Those of us with little natural footballing talent tend to have a soft spot for Gary Neville. He is like the fan who practiced really hard, and, darn me, got picked for for the team he supported, Manchester United. It's the fantasy we all have. But in his case it came true.

Malcolm Gladwell has argued that, beyond a certain level of innate ability, it is 10,000...
Published on 9 Mar 2012 by M. Harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Very average and pedestrian.
I am a lifelong Man Utd fan - so this book was an absolute must for me.

It ticks all the boxes that an English international footballer's autobiography should tick - how they got into the first team, their recollection of important matches, behind the scenes gossip, the great players they played with and how disappointing their England career was...
Published on 12 Sep 2011 by JPM1983

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars He hates scousers., 23 May 2014
This review is from: Red: My Autobiography (Paperback)
An interesting read. Not as funny as most but he opens up into life as a Manchester United player and what it's like to be an upstanding citizen. You won't learn anything you don't already know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story from a top player, 13 May 2014
I liked the brutal honesty from Gary and his no thrills approach. He's been at the top of his game for over 20 years at the biggest club in the world. Why wouldn't you read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A blue who against all odds liked Red !!!, 5 May 2014
I'm a lifelong City fan and an avid reader of biographies and autobiographies. So after exhausting all the genres which I enjoy including football. I came to Gary Nevilles book. Could I bring myself to read the book of someone who I considered arrogant unsporting, and egotistical ?? Surely not. But I'm glad I swallowed my pride and read on.

Firstly I must apologise for assuming Gary to be as I described him. - Because he certainly doesn't come across as that.
Yes, he's a committed decicated player of Manchester United, a team he supported since childhood. A team who he would literally die for if he had too. He always gave 100% and had no tolerance for collegues that gave anything less. Yes he emphasizes how he had a dislike for Liverpool and Arsenal football club, but he also praises their players who also have his work ethic, such as Steven Gerrard... More than that Gary shows what a brilliant football brain he has, tactically and technically, and how he never stopped learning until the day constant injuries brought his career to an end.

He praises fellow players in other clubs when they deserve it and is not afraid to criticise his own clubs shortcomings. He describes pinnicle occasions at Old Trafford such as winning the treble and many other tiles and trophies that went United's way with enthusiasm, describing the euphoria it gave him, he also describes the lows he felt from United's poor performances and his own.
He is first to admit he's not the world's greatest footballer and that it is sheer hard work and undeniable commitment that has driven him into the heart one of the greatest United teams of all times.

He is honest, and openly criticises the F.A., pointing out weaknesses and highlighting occasions when their actions beggar belief. He has strong opinions and not afraid to air them ( which we knew anyway). He also indulges us in his England career, and expresses how disappointing many managerial regimes have been. He highlights his favoutrite English manager as Terry Venebles and also has praise for Sven and even positive words for the early Capello..

But it's manner in which Gary writes this book which sets it apart from other footballing autobios. He finds a balance between telling all, yet holding back enough so as not to incur the wrath of his fellow professionals - but you can read between the lines and know exactly what he's getting at.

If only other's, not only footballers but people in other walks of employment, had Gary's commitment and work ethic, the country would be a better place.

There is no doubt the ability, tactical and technical know how, of this Bury born and bred battler ( as evidenced on Sky Sports too) will take him much further in his nonplaying football career. He will most certainly be England manager one day, and quite probably United's too and as a City fan, I'd be happy with that.

It's a great read and I'd highly recommend it even to my fellow City supporters. It's extremely revealing, fascinating and often surprising, and there are lots of 'behind the scenes' ongoings which make it a must read book !!

My only disappointment is that he's not been on the blue half of the City, but I won't hold that against him now. Great book !

A book I couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 1 May 2014
djwejs (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Good read. First read on iPhone! Much better on iPad. Although still the same book. Really enjoyed it. Some funny moments.

4.0 out of 5 stars gary nevilles auto, 13 April 2014
It was another good insight into United under Ferguson and also it shows a now defunct football trait, one man one club one love. Gary Neville leaves all United fans in doubt of his love for the Red Devils.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine role model, 30 Mar 2014
Gary Neville is a red. He lived the dream of playing for the club he loved and worked darn hard to keep at that level. 1 of the Class of 92.We will never see this ever happen again. A must read for any football fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Red: My Autobiography (Paperback)
My brother and I grew up in the 90's watching Fergie's Fledgings, so I found this a very interesting read.

This is a great autobiography. I had known Gary's book was out for a few years but wasn't that interested to read it. I have always liked Gary, but he just isn't interesting enough to compel me to buy his book. However, I bought Fergie's autobiography as soon as it came out (Gary's is much better) and was hungry for more United stories, so thought I'd give Red a try. Gary had me hooked from the first chapter and I read this autobiography very quickly. It's well written and really interesting. He's very honest and has some interesting stories. It is not very "juicy" but he has a great story to tell and I found it fascinating. I would recommend to any United fans who grew up watching Fergie's Fledglings.

Immediately after finishing the book I bought another copy for my brother as a Christmas present, along with Fergie's autobiography. I told him to read this one first, and he did! He absolutely loved it as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why do I read stuff like this?, 12 Mar 2014
This one of only two autobiographies 'written' by sports personalities I've read (the other being Fergie's book) and I am none the wiser as to why they're so popular. A story about pretending to make love to Clayton Blackmore aside, there's nothing in here that's particularly interesting or entertaining. It saddens me a bit to think that there are a lot of people out there who will only read a handful of books in their lifetime, and books such as this will be on their very limited lists.

You'd be far better off watching Class of '92 instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Retired and Extremely Dangerous?, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Red: My Autobiography (Paperback)
The football biography is not always the most salubrious of things; they sometimes reflect back on the worst times of a player’s career and then dedicate an inordinate amount of time on their one big success. This is not the case for Gary Neville’s ‘Red’, a player who may not have lit up the pitch in his day, but one whose trophy cabinet would make most professional footballers blush. ‘Red’ is a book packed with success stories, perhaps too much success! When was the last time you read a book in which a player rattles through a championship winning year in mere paragraphs because some of the other championship wins were more interesting!

Neville come across as a likable bloke, who may be opinionated, but keeps it straight. What is good from such a straight talking fellow is that he does not drag anyone through the mud. Just because you are telling home truths does not mean you have to be an idiot about it. Neville has good words to say about most people involved in his career, so some of the more entertaining parts of the novel centre on his disdain for FA members of staff from the past. It does feel a shame that he does not dish more dirt at times, but he has so many victories to talk through, he does not have the time.

Manchester United fans will love the book. Gary Neville was a consummate professional who bled for the club. However, even none Man U fans will enjoy it. The book reads like a highlights package of the past 20 years of Premiership Football; talk of Beckham being hit by a boot or Pizzagate are great memories for any listener of Radio 5 Live or TalkSport. The real issue is that so much happened to Neville that the book does not delve deep enough. It is a quick and fun read, but not a biography that will go down as a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard work, 2 Feb 2014
I found this book hard going in places looking back maybe should have give it a miss,learn by your mistakes

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Red: My Autobiography
Red: My Autobiography by Gary Neville (Paperback - 19 July 2012)
6.29