5.0 out of 5 stars What a belter!
Published on 15 July 2011 by Wags

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll tear through it and forget it 10 minutes later
Samuel Carver is a former assassin who is approached by a former client who wants him to assassinate the tyrannical dictator of the fictional African country Malemba (loosely based on Zimbabwe). The plan is that this will open the doors for the democratic Opposition leader to step in. However there is more at stake than meets the eye.

This is the fourth book in...
Published on 16 April 2011 by Julia Flyte

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a belter!, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Dictator (Hardcover)
Well what can I say,I came across Tom Cain's first novel elsewhere very cheaply!I was shocked how such a well writen,well plotted thriller could end up in a bargain basement store.Mr Cain has created a hero that stands tall with the like's of Bourne and Reacher.Yes he blur's the lines there is no black and white,Carver doesn't always get it right but he try's to do the right thing.Two great sequel's and now the fourth book.Well paced as always with Tom's books I find it hard to put down,so I have to try and not rush out and buy his latest to tear through the pages.Not going to give anything away just read it.Tom Cain is am overlooked genius roll on the next next book !

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith in disguise!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Dictator (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put it down. Really enjoyable book,fast paced and well researched. I would recomend this book to anyone who enjoys African adventure stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll tear through it and forget it 10 minutes later, 16 April 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dictator (Hardcover)

This is the fourth book in a series which started with The Accident Man, but it works as a standalone novel. Samuel Carver is an interesting and flawed hero who consistently lets his emotions override his judgement. This annoyed me immensely in the early Tom Cain books, but I've grown to accept it.

This is a fast paced thriller which moves between Southern Africa and Hong Kong. Maybe because I approached this book with low expectations, I enjoyed it. It's a perfectly acceptable mindless holiday read which you'll tear through and then forget ten minutes after finishing it. There are flaws in the plot but the quickfire pace allows the reader to paper over them. One significant twist in particular never felt believable to me. There are also elements that borrow from heavily from other novels - particularly a lengthy gun battle which felt straight out of a Bond movie. (Cain acknowledges his debt to Ian Fleming at the end of the book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary Brilliance!, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Dictator (Paperback)
Dictator is without a doubt the best book I have read so far this year. From cover to cover I was hooked by this gripping and intense story. Cain successfully portrays a country that is being spoilt by tyranny and uses brilliantly all five senses in his masterful writing. For anyone who enjoys action books, or even books set in Africa then this is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carver takes on the dictator !, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dictator (Paperback)
When I first saw this novel was set in Africa I was unsure that I'd enjoy it. Africa doesn't really interest me as a location. The culture, scenery etc just doesn't appeal to me at all, I don't connect with it. But none of that matters at all because the story is compelling and the protagonists are among the most twisted that Cain has written.

Despite my lack of interest in the location, it was brought to life vividly by the author and is never a chore. The book does move elsewhere in the world too and is also excellently rendered.

As another reviewer mentioned, Flattie Morrison is indeed a great character and one wishes for him to feature more.

I did spot where the ending was going but it was still satisfying nonetheless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dislocated, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Dictator (Kindle Edition)
Poorly constructed and disjointed. No seem less flow to the story line.
Rabbits had to be pulled from the hat to bring the tale to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictator, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dictator (Kindle Edition)
Good story. Will get more in seies. Good read worth it. Don't think I will go to Madonna soon. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Once I read beyond the awful first chapter the book shows promise..., 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dictator (Paperback)
Cover 3.0 - Not sure about the relevance of the cover to the story. My children must have bought this. Although I have many other books on the go I wanted something easy to read for enjoyment. I made a start and thought I would read no further than the awful first chapter ... then things perked up and I am well on with the book. I like the plausibility of the story so far, a Lee Child type hook of treachery sown into the present day events and the informative descriptions of trap shooting. The African background is sad and most likely a true reflection of what is happening in many parts of the continent. I read on ...

10 12 13 Finished. An enjoyable read so may well read more of his books. Would have earned four stars from me but for the first chapter.

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!

5.0 out of 5 stars More More..., 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dictator (Hardcover)
Hard to find a really good writer & this guy has got it. No I have not read it yet but I know by the quality of the first two "Carvers" that this will be a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are a Carver Fan you will like this, 26 Jun 2013
K. Shaw "marlin" (cornwall GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dictator (Paperback)
I tend to run hot and cold about writers and at this time I am into Tom Cain, there is no great message or classic images nevertheless the man writes a cracking adventure story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dictator
Dictator by Tom Cain (Paperback - 21 July 2011)