4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by Isaac-E

3.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Published on 9 Feb 2006 by Chiquita

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons, 14 Jun 2012
Everywhere there is suspicion of conspiracy. What might be offputting to some readers is the extravagence of the violence towards inncent victims, but then again it is no different to in the other books. This particular story finds demons emerging out of religion and inhabiting a select group of scientists, the Illuminati, a group supposedly long disbanded, but appearing in a very dangerous form. There is adventure, even impossible adventure, a hero and heroine, and even romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable...but who cares?, 2 July 2006
K. Elliott (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
I found this to be a cracking good read, better than the Da Vinci code. The action is even more fast paced and the plot is inventive and exciting. Yes it is totally unbelievable but its fun and quick and at times surprising with a climactic finish. Brown has a gift for writing breathless novels which are well written enough that it doesn't matter how ridiculous the basic premises may seem. A great novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read for fans of the Da Vinci code, 9 Jun 2005
dbean104 (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Most people reading this will have already read the authors more famous publication: the Da Vinci Code. From the moment you pick up this book the similarities are obvious, the same lead character, the same phone-call-in-the-night start etc. However, once you have read the first few chapters it is apparent that this book is completely different.
Anyone who was captivated by the puzzles and clues in the Da Vinci Code will be equally satisfied with Angels and Demons. Like the Da Vinci Code this is a particularly intellectual book and you will be educated while reading it, although this time not about the works of Da Vinci, but instead particle physics and Roman churches. Once again the level of research carried-out by the author in order for the book to contain as many facts as possible is astounding. My main criticism is that where the Da Vinci Code was believable in most places, the plot of this book becomes rather far-fetched, especially towards the end.
If you enjoyed the Da Vinci Code read this, if you have yet to encounter Dan Brown's books then this is also a good place to start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons - Dan Brown, 9 Feb 2006
I think the success of Angels and Demons as well as The Da Vinci Code relies on the amount of actual facts that Dan Brown collected, before putting a story together. However, having a religious background, I was able to amuse myself at some of the fact-twists, which didn't convince me in the least. The amazing thing is how the writer has managed to cause so much controversy amongst the masses through his style of writing. I actually liked Angels and Demons better than The Da Vinci Code, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. Sometimes, is just better to keep things totally fictional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Aug 2013
Loved it as much as The Da Vinci Code. Not only entertaining I found it quite educational as well. Another great Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Terror in the Vatican, 17 Jan 2004
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dan Brown's Angels and Demons is a fast-paced detective drama that involves science, art, the Catholic Church, and murder.
Harvard symbology professor Robert Langdon is the protagonist who finds himself at a Swiss nuclear research facility. It seems a scientist, who specialized in explosive antimatter, has been murdered and the historically infamous society, the Illuminati, is involved. The antimatter has been taken, and Langdon joins the scientist's daughter, Vittoria, on a mad dash through some of Rome's most famous landmarks, in an effort to find it before the Vatican is leveled.
If you read "The Da Vinci Code," this plot will be very familiar to you: Robert receives yet another call in the middle of the night, is taken to see another dead man killed by a secret anti-Catholic society, and helps the victim's lovely daughter/granddaughter unravel a series of clues to solve the crime - all at breakneck speed!
I liked the plot of Angels and Demons and found much of middle section wonderfully absorbing and tense, as Robert and Vittoria decipher ancient clues and race from place to place in Rome, fast on the heels of a murderer. The beginning of the book, which discusses antimatter, was slow-going for me and the conclusion is way over the top in terms of realism. The timeline was a major stumbling block: Being able to travel great distances across Rome in minutes (even seconds) took away some credibility for me.
In spite of the weaknesses, the basic story of Angels and Demons is very exciting and, at times, even spine-tingling. If you have been to Rome, you will enjoy revisiting the city in this book. You'll also learn about the inner workings of the Vatican, how a new Pope is selected, and about the Illuminati, which I found fascinating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dubious Demons, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Since having grabbing my attention with the Da Vinci Code, I have become something of a fan of Mr Brown's books. However, reading Angels & Demons took away some of the 'magic' that had captivated me after reading the Da Vinci Code (DVC).
This book starts out alot slower than the DVC but once it gets going you're hooked as Robert Langdon races round Rome trying to find an (H)assassin before it's too late, the details and ambigrams in this book really did surprise me and I was once again sucked into the fantastic world of Dan Brown, his writing is truly refreshing (although his plots sometimes leave alot to be desired). While you could cast the niggling doubts you had about the plot in the DVC aside - due to the fact that it might just be possible - Angels & Demons pushes the reader too far in terms of what they can regard as plausible.
I'll try not to give too much away but falling 3 Miles into foaming water (no matter how much Dan wants you to believe that it's three times softer than standing water) especially when this water isn't an ocean (relatively shallow) you just really wonder whether Mr Brown wrote himself into a corner that he can only get out of by coming up with something incredibly dubious and highly unbelievable which totally spoils the book - unless you can read this part and then pretend it never happened :)
Despite my dislike at how the book arrives at its otherwise excellent conclusion (including a truly unexpected twist) I enjoyed Angels & Demons. Dan Brown really does research his books well and even if you don't subscribe to his views you still have to admire the detail he goes into in his book, the ambigrams alone are worth picking this book up for as i'd never seen one until i read Angels & Demons!
Recommended although it's a long way off the DVC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like the Da Vinci code but worth while none the less, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Having read some of the other reviews about this book I was a little disheartened. I've also read several other Dan Brown books and the way the story works in this book is very different to the others. It was however pleasantly surprising once I was a few chapters into it. The book was a little slow to start with, but I suppose that's because of the amount of detail that Dan Brown has included (which always amazes me).
The book, as has been described by others revolves around science and religion, a deadly plot to overthrough the catholic church and Robert Langdon, a symbologist from Harvard who is called in to help solve the mystery. I found this book to be excellent reading (a real can't 'put-downer')and at one point I caught myself questionning my ideas of God and Science so it must have had some kind of effect on me!!
In short.. it's not the Da Vinci Code, but then do you want an author to produce the same thing over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, recommended to anybody, 11 Sep 2003
I read this after reading the Da Vinci Code, and found it to be every bit as good. Less codes maybe(!), but great twists, a really complex but easily readable plot, Dan Brown is quickly becomming one of my favourite authors. His descriptions of the Vatican and modern Rome are superb and his research is clearly very extensive.
Despite being a clever book, steeped in religious & art history and a deeply twisting plot, it manages to stay fun and a real page-turner.
I would recommend this to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was he joking? - No stars!, 7 Nov 2008
LauraUK (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Ok, I am bit depressed and the only books I can read must be easy to grasp, so I cannot say I did not enjoy "Angels and demons".
However the mistakes in Italian are appalling!!! A good writer and a good publishing house would have certainly asked a native Italian speaker to check the sentences. Sadly, this did not happen.
Not to mention some plain ignorance (Raffaello Santi?? I don't think so!) and some remarkable lack of cultural awareness (a Swiss Guard who calls a Cardinal "Signore", anyone?) that make this book almost disrespectful towards its readers.
As an Italian myself, I am surprised nobody noticed these mistakes before the book was published. But I am glad to know that us Italian women can still be attractive despite not being conventionally beautiful. I am still laughing.
I think he deserves no stars and the book will be given back to the charity shop. They need the money more than Dan Brown.

Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon)
Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon) by Dan Brown (Paperback - 28 Aug 2009)
5.99