5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but gripping
Having loved SJ Bolton's first three novels, which had a psychological/supernatural feel to them, I wasn't sure what I'd make of this one, which from the blurb seemed to be more of a straightforward crime/police procedural thriller. However, it soon becomes evident that Lacey Flint is not a straightforward police officer.

We first meet Lacey when she returns to...
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Denise4891

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes twists obvious and then ignores them.
Quite a weird book in many ways. Not exactly bad but it is determined to "surprise" you with twists. However it does so using the most obvious hints ever and then to cover them up decides to forget about them for another 100 pages. The book would have been much better if it had more subtle hints, this avoiding a couple of hundred unneeded pages designed to throw...
Published 4 months ago by Mr DR Teece

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but gripping, 31 Mar 2011
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We first meet Lacey when she returns to her car after interviewing a witness to find a dying woman sprawled across it. She quickly secures herself a place on the team investigating the murder, and pretty soon they realise they've got a sadistic serial killer on their hands who seems to be mimicking the crimes of Jack the Ripper (Lacey's favourite "historical character"). The murders are brutal and Bolton doesn't spare any of the gruesome and chilling details, making for some very uncomfortable reading at times.

Lacey is a complex and enigmatic creation, and her dark side comes to the fore very early on in the book. She tells the story in the first person and, as with all good unreliable narrators, the reader is never sure whose side she's on and what to make of her version of events. There are some very clever twists and turns and a cliffhanger at the end of virtually every chapter, which meant that I just had to turn the page and keep on reading. The denouement is frantic (if a little far-fetched) and it isn't until the last few pages that the 'real' Lacey Flint is finally revealed.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer SJ Bolton to carry on with this sort of crime fiction or return to the more atmospheric/brooding style of her first three books, but I do know that whatever she comes up with I'll be reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripper style murders inspired by the past - a twisty police procedural, 31 Mar 2011
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read the first of S J Bolton's thrillers Awakening, I was keen to get hold of this one. The story begins with a young DC, Lacey Flint, discovering a critically wounded woman, dying in front of her eyes. The killer seems to have a fatal fascination with the Jack the Ripper killings of the late 19th century, and the pressure on the investigating team increases with the body count. I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but there are twists and turns aplenty to keep the reader hooked, and given that this is a plot-driven story, the characters work well enough to help drive the slightly implausible plot forward. You really aren't sure who you can trust until right at the end. Bolton has done well bringing some of the less-well known parts of London to life in this story. Like Awakening, I felt there was quite a strong sense of place which worked well as a backdrop for the story. This isn't a read for the faint-hearted - there is a fair amount of blood and gore here, but do overcome your squeamishness if you can as it is a well-written and gripping story that will keep those pages turning until you get to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The High Priestess of Rural Gothic Crime Goes URBAN......, 30 Nov 2011
janebbooks (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Over in Harrogate, England the third week of July 2011, they dubbed S. J. Bolton the high priestess of rural gothic crime. Her third book Blood Harvest was shortlisted for the Theakston Old Peculier mystery novel of the year at the Harrogate festival. The title is apt: all three of Bolton's early mysteries are "lush with creepy British atmosphere." Sacrifice, Bolton's award-winning debut novel is set on a Shetland Island. The next two novels are set in isolated British villages. The narrators, or main female characters, are strong, professional women (an obstetrician, a veterinarian, and a psychiatrist) and at least one female in the books is deformed or disabled. There's also a hint of romance and dark family secrets. Reviewers have called Bolton the "new queen of suspense" and after a bit of flap reading of her fourth novel, this reader thought she was about to read "Mary Higgins Clark goes to London."

Well, so much for flap reading! NOW YOU SEE ME is not only a modern Gothic thriller, it's a police procedural.

The narrator of the novel is one D. I. Lacey Flint of the Sapphire unit (crimes against women) of the London Metro Police. She has been on the force for four years. She is a Ripperologist. That's right, an expert in the Jack the Ripper five canonical cases of 1888-89. The five undisputed Ripper Crimes. It seems Lacey, after interviewing a victim of gang rape in a seedy part of London, discovers the first modern-day copycat Ripper victim on August 31 the day Polly Nichols' body was found in Victorian London some eleven decades previously. And other victims follow.

For the first part of NOW YOU SEE ME, we are smothered in Ripper lore, gory description, and lectures. (Bolton has well researched the subject. She lists among other references ANATOMY OF A KILLER by Patricia Cornwell.) If you skim the Ripper "stuff," slow down in the last third of the book. Bolton throws in a major twist. A suspect has been found through DNA on the third victim. The Major Investigation Team is celebrating the close of the case. And into the squad room walk several men with their solicitors who have information that turns the case upside down. Get ready for a FIVE STAR finish!

And gothic lovers, don't dismay! The elements are there. Lacey is befriended by a freelance journalist named Emma Boston, with a missing right ear and burn marks on her neck. D. I. Mark Joesbury becomes both romantically interested in Lacey and suspicious of her past. The dark family secrets are there, and when they are revealed, Lacey's rather enigmatic behavior, with her fascination with serial killers and propensity for slipping down to Camden late at night for sexual adventure, is explained. And we find out why Julie Andrews sings "My Favourite Things" in her head throughout the book.

Lucky UK Amazon buyers! Bolton's fifth book again features Joesbury and Lacey. It'll be published in January 2012!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling from beginning to end, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Now You See Me has detective constable, Lacey Flint, as the main character. Out moonlighting to learn more about a division that she'd like to work for, for want of a better word, she stumbles upon a murder scene. But this is no ordinary murder scene. For starters, the woman isn't quite dead.

The book's background is very cleverly, very meticulously based on Jack the Ripper. So many tales over the years have come out about this killer. To link them all in the way that SJ Bolton did takes a super mind. She had me on the edge of my seat with scene by scene chapters all the way through. The writing is sharp. The characterisation is intense. Lacey Flint is one of the gutsiest female characters I've come across in a while. From the minute I met her, I was thrown into a loner's life, the way she chooses to live, mind. Her background story was heart breaking but very well written. I also liked that she was a lower rank in the police force, making the book so refreshing.

There were so many clever clues left behind in this book that once I'd read it I had to go back and skip through the first few chapters to see how they were layered. SJ Bolton's detail is exceptional. Her research is outstanding. She has a tale to tell and she does it so, so well. This is her fourth book, she's won numerous awards, and it's clear to see why.

Now You See Me - Once read, never forgotten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series, 11 July 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Once again I have embarked on a new series this time by Sharon Bolton. Our lead character is a trainee with the Met Police and her background is more chequered than you can imagine. Lacey Flint (great name for a character me thinks) is young and inexperienced. When she arrives at her car one evening to find a woman slumped on the ground and bleeding she realises that she cannot save her, and the woman subsequently dies in her arms. As she inadvertently becomes drawn into the case surrounding the woman, things take a murky turn.

The first quarter of the book was a little hard going for me. Certainly not in terms of the writing style, I just wasn’t too sure what to make of Lacey. The additional characters that appear such as Mark Joesbury and Dana Tulloch were absolute peaches and I loved them both from the start. The plot of the book and subsequent murders revolves around some sort of copycat from the Jack the Ripper cases. The book was clearly researched well from this perspective but to be honest the writing style and plot twists were enough to keep me hooked alone. As the book progresses the story gets much more intricate and the layers begin to peel back to show just what Lacey is hiding. As each layer was peeled back I found myself liking her more and more.

In addition to this the crime scenes aren’t short on descriptive gore which make it all the more realistic. The book is packed full of twists and is certainly not short on action. The last half of the book just flew by and just when I thought I had all the answers it turned out I was wrong. The ending gives the reader that real urge to just carry on reading (which I love) and I immediately downloaded book 2. I think this has the potential to turn out to be an extremely engaging and addictive series…I’m looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now you see me, 9 Feb 2014
Brilliant book had a really busy day planned downloaded this book this morning and have done nothing else but read all day thoroughly enjoyed it and am now about to purchase the next in the series. Think I have found myself a new author love it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1 (Paperback)
Keeps you going until the end. I enjoy her books and I've already read her latest so am looking forward to the follow on to Dead Scared.
Just a point-we all know what the book is about so why do others run through the story line rather that just put comments.
Would recommend this to any avid crime reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Booktrail back to the horror of Jack the Ripper, 1 Aug 2014
thebooktrailer (Whereever a book takes us) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1 (Paperback)
Lacey Flint – now there’s a character I want to get to know better.

DC Lacey Flint interviews a witness who is reluctant to talk to her and after coming out of her building stumbles onto a woman brutally stabbed in the car park.

The investigation kicks up a pace when a news reporter receives a letter suggesting that the murder may be a copy cat of the first Jack the Ripper Murder. Chillingly it also mentions Lacey…

If the letter is true, the it would seem that Lacey and the police have only five days to get to the truth before the next victim is killed.

Lacey doesn’t know what to make of the letters taunting her specifically. As she looks into the case more, she has unpleasant flashbacks to things she’d rather forget. But she’s going to have to bring everything from the deepest recesses of her mind if she is going to stop this killer in his tracks.
London of course but if the mystery of Jack the Ripper was thrilling in the days before CCTV and DNA etc then what could be made of it in a new and modern light?

Well everything so don’t go thinking this is any less chilling. It isn’t and takes us around the sites, sounds and smells of Whitechapel and London that you both fascinate and shock in equal measure. The theories behind who the killer is are very gripping too, but no spoilers here!

In fact, I don’t want to mention the plot other to say that the atmosphere is as chilling and as taunting as I imagine the original murders must have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from "My Love Affair With Books", 8 July 2011
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
There have been many books about serial killers before, especially Jack the Ripper copycat killers. Nothing new about that. So what makes Now You See Me different from them? The author has taken the serial killer concept, made it even more shocking, hard-hitting, and added an emotional depth which I often find missing in such books. All this along with a fantastic plot and brilliant characterization makes Now You See Me unforgettable - a book which will linger on for quite a while.

DC Lacey Flint is a protagonist who continues to surprise, and with each page, I loved her more. Right from the start, the reader is aware that we don't know a lot about her. She's hiding something, something big and shocking about her past which continues to haunt her. The mystery of the killer and that of Lacey's past will keep the pages turning. The tension built up with each page, until I had reached a point where I could not keep the book down without finding out the ending.

All throughout the book, the feeling of something sinister lurking in the background is very strong. The wait for the next murder and the fear that it will be even more violent than the last one, will keep you in your seat. The author doesn't hold back on descriptions of the murders. Every minute details of the grisly murders,committed by what appears to be a psychopath, is described. At times, it was so vivid and real that it scared me quite a bit. To think that so many years ago, the real "Jack the Ripper" actually did the same to his unfortunate victims, is horrible.

One of my favorite things about Now You See Me is the chemistry between Mark Joesbury, who is involved in the investigations, and Lacey. Mark suspects Lacey from the start, yet they are both strangely drawn to each other. The romance element is very small, yet memorable. Something that I really appreciate about S.J Bolton's books, is that they are stand-alones. But this time, I really hope that the author continues Lacey's story. The book ended in a way that there was so much of uncertainty involved - I am hoping that this is not the end of Lacey and Joesbury's story.

As for the ending, I can only say "WOW!". I thought I had guessed it all. It turned out I was not even remotely close to the truth. Having read S.J Bolton previous books, I knew not to expect an easy or a neatly wrapped up ending. Still, I never saw it coming. As the killer was revealed, it left me open-mouthed, and as I was trying to come to terms with that, there came another shocking revelation.

What makes S.J Bolton's books stand out from many others in her genre, is that the characters and the story don't leave you so easily. I found myself thinking about the book, long after I had finished it. Excellent character development, a gripping plot and numerous twists make Now You See Me immensely readable.

Overall:
A plot that moves at a breakneck speed, haunting secrets and truths from the past, and a killer who will frighten the living daylights out of you. A deliciously satisfying read!

Recommended?
Highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliantly fast paced, dark crime novel., 11 Jun 2014
Young police officer Lacey Flint finds a woman brutally stabbed and dying and she's doing in slumped over Lacey's car.

This is the start of a chain of events that sees Lacey drawn into a dark and twisted world that looks to mimic the old London Jack the Ripper cases, and it's a world where we, the reader can't help but keep turning the page at an ever increasing speed to see what happens.

The novel is told from Lacey's point of view and she's a brilliantly engaging protagonist that feels real rather than stereotypical. There are some breathtakingly exhilarating scenes and there are some quite graphic scenes, but it's the kind of fast paced, dark crime novel that I like.

This book will keep you guessing all the way to the way to the end even as Lacey gives you information constantly. And now I've reached the end, I'm a massive Bolton fan and will be reading the next Lacey Flint novel very soon.

Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1
Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1 by Sharon Bolton (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
3.86