5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but gripping
Having loved SJ Bolton's first three novels, which had a psychological/supernatural feel to them, I wasn't sure what I'd make of this one, which from the blurb seemed to be more of a straightforward crime/police procedural thriller. However, it soon becomes evident that Lacey Flint is not a straightforward police officer.

We first meet Lacey when she returns to...
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Denise4891

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story well told
I enjoyed this mystery and the twists towards the end of the book were cleverly constructed. Although the story entailed a number of gruesome murders, the author did not dwell on this too much. If I could have given half marks I would awarded 3.5 stars, I think it's a very good 3 star but not quite 4.
Published 1 day ago by Alex B

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but gripping, 31 Mar 2011
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We first meet Lacey when she returns to her car after interviewing a witness to find a dying woman sprawled across it. She quickly secures herself a place on the team investigating the murder, and pretty soon they realise they've got a sadistic serial killer on their hands who seems to be mimicking the crimes of Jack the Ripper (Lacey's favourite "historical character"). The murders are brutal and Bolton doesn't spare any of the gruesome and chilling details, making for some very uncomfortable reading at times.

Lacey is a complex and enigmatic creation, and her dark side comes to the fore very early on in the book. She tells the story in the first person and, as with all good unreliable narrators, the reader is never sure whose side she's on and what to make of her version of events. There are some very clever twists and turns and a cliffhanger at the end of virtually every chapter, which meant that I just had to turn the page and keep on reading. The denouement is frantic (if a little far-fetched) and it isn't until the last few pages that the 'real' Lacey Flint is finally revealed.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer SJ Bolton to carry on with this sort of crime fiction or return to the more atmospheric/brooding style of her first three books, but I do know that whatever she comes up with I'll be reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ripper style murders inspired by the past - a twisty police procedural, 31 Mar 2011
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read the first of S J Bolton's thrillers Awakening, I was keen to get hold of this one. The story begins with a young DC, Lacey Flint, discovering a critically wounded woman, dying in front of her eyes. The killer seems to have a fatal fascination with the Jack the Ripper killings of the late 19th century, and the pressure on the investigating team increases with the body count. I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but there are twists and turns aplenty to keep the reader hooked, and given that this is a plot-driven story, the characters work well enough to help drive the slightly implausible plot forward. You really aren't sure who you can trust until right at the end. Bolton has done well bringing some of the less-well known parts of London to life in this story. Like Awakening, I felt there was quite a strong sense of place which worked well as a backdrop for the story. This isn't a read for the faint-hearted - there is a fair amount of blood and gore here, but do overcome your squeamishness if you can as it is a well-written and gripping story that will keep those pages turning until you get to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The High Priestess of Rural Gothic Crime Goes URBAN......, 30 Nov 2011
janebbooks (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Over in Harrogate, England the third week of July 2011, they dubbed S. J. Bolton the high priestess of rural gothic crime. Her third book Blood Harvest was shortlisted for the Theakston Old Peculier mystery novel of the year at the Harrogate festival. The title is apt: all three of Bolton's early mysteries are "lush with creepy British atmosphere." Sacrifice, Bolton's award-winning debut novel is set on a Shetland Island. The next two novels are set in isolated British villages. The narrators, or main female characters, are strong, professional women (an obstetrician, a veterinarian, and a psychiatrist) and at least one female in the books is deformed or disabled. There's also a hint of romance and dark family secrets. Reviewers have called Bolton the "new queen of suspense" and after a bit of flap reading of her fourth novel, this reader thought she was about to read "Mary Higgins Clark goes to London."

Well, so much for flap reading! NOW YOU SEE ME is not only a modern Gothic thriller, it's a police procedural.

The narrator of the novel is one D. I. Lacey Flint of the Sapphire unit (crimes against women) of the London Metro Police. She has been on the force for four years. She is a Ripperologist. That's right, an expert in the Jack the Ripper five canonical cases of 1888-89. The five undisputed Ripper Crimes. It seems Lacey, after interviewing a victim of gang rape in a seedy part of London, discovers the first modern-day copycat Ripper victim on August 31 the day Polly Nichols' body was found in Victorian London some eleven decades previously. And other victims follow.

For the first part of NOW YOU SEE ME, we are smothered in Ripper lore, gory description, and lectures. (Bolton has well researched the subject. She lists among other references ANATOMY OF A KILLER by Patricia Cornwell.) If you skim the Ripper "stuff," slow down in the last third of the book. Bolton throws in a major twist. A suspect has been found through DNA on the third victim. The Major Investigation Team is celebrating the close of the case. And into the squad room walk several men with their solicitors who have information that turns the case upside down. Get ready for a FIVE STAR finish!

And gothic lovers, don't dismay! The elements are there. Lacey is befriended by a freelance journalist named Emma Boston, with a missing right ear and burn marks on her neck. D. I. Mark Joesbury becomes both romantically interested in Lacey and suspicious of her past. The dark family secrets are there, and when they are revealed, Lacey's rather enigmatic behavior, with her fascination with serial killers and propensity for slipping down to Camden late at night for sexual adventure, is explained. And we find out why Julie Andrews sings "My Favourite Things" in her head throughout the book.

Lucky UK Amazon buyers! Bolton's fifth book again features Joesbury and Lacey. It'll be published in January 2012!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling from beginning to end, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
Now You See Me has detective constable, Lacey Flint, as the main character. Out moonlighting to learn more about a division that she'd like to work for, for want of a better word, she stumbles upon a murder scene. But this is no ordinary murder scene. For starters, the woman isn't quite dead.

The book's background is very cleverly, very meticulously based on Jack the Ripper. So many tales over the years have come out about this killer. To link them all in the way that SJ Bolton did takes a super mind. She had me on the edge of my seat with scene by scene chapters all the way through. The writing is sharp. The characterisation is intense. Lacey Flint is one of the gutsiest female characters I've come across in a while. From the minute I met her, I was thrown into a loner's life, the way she chooses to live, mind. Her background story was heart breaking but very well written. I also liked that she was a lower rank in the police force, making the book so refreshing.

There were so many clever clues left behind in this book that once I'd read it I had to go back and skip through the first few chapters to see how they were layered. SJ Bolton's detail is exceptional. Her research is outstanding. She has a tale to tell and she does it so, so well. This is her fourth book, she's won numerous awards, and it's clear to see why.

Now You See Me - Once read, never forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now you see me, 9 Feb 2014
Brilliant book had a really busy day planned downloaded this book this morning and have done nothing else but read all day thoroughly enjoyed it and am now about to purchase the next in the series. Think I have found myself a new author love it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1 (Paperback)
Keeps you going until the end. I enjoy her books and I've already read her latest so am looking forward to the follow on to Dead Scared.
Just a point-we all know what the book is about so why do others run through the story line rather that just put comments.
Would recommend this to any avid crime reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from "My Love Affair With Books", 8 July 2011
This review is from: Now You See Me (Hardcover)
There have been many books about serial killers before, especially Jack the Ripper copycat killers. Nothing new about that. So what makes Now You See Me different from them? The author has taken the serial killer concept, made it even more shocking, hard-hitting, and added an emotional depth which I often find missing in such books. All this along with a fantastic plot and brilliant characterization makes Now You See Me unforgettable - a book which will linger on for quite a while.

DC Lacey Flint is a protagonist who continues to surprise, and with each page, I loved her more. Right from the start, the reader is aware that we don't know a lot about her. She's hiding something, something big and shocking about her past which continues to haunt her. The mystery of the killer and that of Lacey's past will keep the pages turning. The tension built up with each page, until I had reached a point where I could not keep the book down without finding out the ending.

All throughout the book, the feeling of something sinister lurking in the background is very strong. The wait for the next murder and the fear that it will be even more violent than the last one, will keep you in your seat. The author doesn't hold back on descriptions of the murders. Every minute details of the grisly murders,committed by what appears to be a psychopath, is described. At times, it was so vivid and real that it scared me quite a bit. To think that so many years ago, the real "Jack the Ripper" actually did the same to his unfortunate victims, is horrible.

One of my favorite things about Now You See Me is the chemistry between Mark Joesbury, who is involved in the investigations, and Lacey. Mark suspects Lacey from the start, yet they are both strangely drawn to each other. The romance element is very small, yet memorable. Something that I really appreciate about S.J Bolton's books, is that they are stand-alones. But this time, I really hope that the author continues Lacey's story. The book ended in a way that there was so much of uncertainty involved - I am hoping that this is not the end of Lacey and Joesbury's story.

As for the ending, I can only say "WOW!". I thought I had guessed it all. It turned out I was not even remotely close to the truth. Having read S.J Bolton previous books, I knew not to expect an easy or a neatly wrapped up ending. Still, I never saw it coming. As the killer was revealed, it left me open-mouthed, and as I was trying to come to terms with that, there came another shocking revelation.

What makes S.J Bolton's books stand out from many others in her genre, is that the characters and the story don't leave you so easily. I found myself thinking about the book, long after I had finished it. Excellent character development, a gripping plot and numerous twists make Now You See Me immensely readable.

Overall:
A plot that moves at a breakneck speed, haunting secrets and truths from the past, and a killer who will frighten the living daylights out of you. A deliciously satisfying read!

Recommended?
Highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 2 Mar 2014
L. Allen - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews on Amazon about how great this book was, I decided to give it a go and wasn't disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed it, Lacey Flint is different from the usual run of the mill heroine. Bolton continually keeps you guessing, and I enjoyed the twist at the end. Can't wait to read the next instalment in the Flint series.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!, 26 Feb 2014
loved this book..kept your interest from beginning to end...now purchased follow up i would advise anyone who likes a good crime novel to read it

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 26 Feb 2014
I have never read this author before - but was recommended to me - Glad It is a good study well told will be reading more from this author

ARRAY(0xa6ad72d0)

Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1
Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1 by Sharon Bolton (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
5.03