4.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown - Digital Fortress | Review
I'm no great fan of Dan Brown, because he's not as crazy as most of the writers that I like to read - he's like the pop music version of Stephen King, and I don't even read too much Stephen King. It's too contemporary for me, but I give it a go every now and then.

Published 20 months ago by SocialBookshelves.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea; shame about the execution
Published on 30 May 2010 by Black Tent

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea; shame about the execution, 30 May 2010
Black Tent "zareeba" (Stockton-on-Tees, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
Ok. We all know that when it comes to works of fiction, there are times when one must suspend disbelief, especially where techno-thrillers are concerned. But Digital Fortress contains so many errors of fact that the moderately knowledgeable reader would be forgiven for feeling insulted by the author's evident lack of respect for his audience, while the even more knowledgeable are likely to throw the book against the wall in exasperation...

The characters are like cardboard cut-outs, so ill-defined that one does not even gain a mental image of them. Supposedly brilliant-minded people behave like idiots: an allegedly level-headed head of a national cryptography section behaves like a moonstruck teenager; a professor of languages allow himself to be coerced into rushing off to Spain on a wild-goose chase, with only the haziest idea of what he is looking for; while his fiancé, the outstandingly brilliant and beautiful (yawn) Susan Fletcher spends most of her time standing around being absolutely useless as well as outstandingly dim. I know that a high IQ doesn't automatically equate to a high level of common sense, but when Susan reacts to the phrase `Who will guard the guards?' with the words, `I don't get it,' you have to wonder what else she doesn't get. Later on she reacts to the news that her boss has faked a call to security with astonishment: `Susan couldn't get over the artful maneuver the commander had just executed. He faked the call!' Duh - well, in the circumstances that's the first thing I'd have thought of...later on Susan is equally at a loss when faced with a very simple, obvious anagram: NDAKOTA is TANKADO - yet it takes her several attempts to figure it out. Remember, this is the head of Cryptography in the NSA...near the end, when the team are trying to work out Tankado's pass code that will halt the destruction of the system's firewalls, Susan is equally useless. It takes her and the rest of the supposedly super-intelligent team 20 pages to work out what we lesser mortals did within oh, about 2 seconds of the clue being revealed...!

I don't know enough about computers and cryptography to comment on those aspects of the book, although even to me a lot of it seemed highly unlikely. But where the author really lets us down is in the details which, computers and cryptography apart, form a large part of the book. One of the major protagonists, David Becker, is supposed to be a language whiz, speaking a number of languages fluently, yet he apparently doesn't know that it is not polite to address a German whom one has just met as `du'. Mr Brown claims (I believe) to have studied in Spain, but his descriptions of the country suggest that his level of knowledge about Spain is rather low. Mr Brown seems to dislike Spain and its people, to the extent that he portrays Spain as some kind of third-world country where health care is backward and international phone calls are difficult, rather than the advanced modern country it really is, with excellent health care and facilities. He certainly doesn't seem to know Seville too well, considering that he makes a gigantic boo-boo in describing one of the city's most renowned landmarks: the Giralda has no steps inside, instead having a series of ramps. And why would a city banker in Seville be wearing a `cheap black blazer' to go to mass? Is that what city bankers wear in, say, New York? I don't think so.

But the biggest boo-boo of all comes when the staff of the NSA are trying to work out Tankado's pass code (I'm giving the game away here because I can't believe readers will be so dim that they can't work it out long before the denouement). They've finally twigged that it has something to do with the elements involved in the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They eventually conclude that the elements in question must be isotopes of uranium: uranium-235 and uranium-238. Their search of the internet reveals the `common misconception that the Nagasaki bomb was a plutonium bomb. In fact, the device employed uranium, like its sister bomb in Hiroshima.' Say what? Uranium-235, which was used in the Hiroshima bomb, is indeed fissile (meaning that it can sustain a chain reaction) but uranium-238 can't, so is not fissile, and therefore cannot be used to make nuclear weapons without some serious tinkering. The website accessed by our heroes goes on to say, `... [the] Nagasaki bomb did not use plutonium but rather an artificially manufactured, neutron-saturated isotope of uranium 238.' Uh, that would be plutonium-239, then.

So the Nagasaki bomb DID use plutonium, but 239 minus 235 wouldn't produce a prime number, so Brown had to fudge the facts a bit (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here; even back in 1998, when this book was first published, it was very easy to get hold of information, whether via the internet or in a public library, about the composition of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs). The fact that these so-called geniuses take 20 pages to solve the puzzle destroys any suspense as the reader thinks, oh, for heaven's sake, get on with it - it's not rocket science (all during their agonised deliberations I kept wanting to shout `It's three! THREE!' just like a kid at a pantomime shouting `IT'S BEHIND YOU').

With more attention to detail this could have been a half-decent thriller. But the reader is asked to suspend disbelief so often and accept so many unlikely things that it simply doesn't work. Nice idea; shame about the execution.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thought I'd re-read DaVinci by mistake, 25 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
After reading DaVinci Code and accepting it for what it is (a story, not a 100% factually correct account) I ordered Digital Fortress.
A collegue at work warned me that reading these books "the wrong way round" would be dissapointing, and he was unfortunately correct.
Both have an American academic jaunting across Europe like a CIA field agent, in search of something they do not fully comprehend while some sinister world organisation (in one, the NSA, in the other the Church) pull the puppet's strings. And both have a physically impaired assassin out to hamper the whole thing.
The characterisation is shallow, such as the depiction of the NSA workers by phrases like "...he knew she was right; Ms X's instincts were infamous for always being right..." which doesn't create any reader empathy - in fact it makes you wonder how they didn't avoid the whole crisis in the first place it they were all so perfect!
I think Dan Brown has a random plot generator:
<insert main charachter's name> is an academic with language skills, sent to <insert European city> by <insert world organisation> to look for <insert mythological artifact or technological breakthrough>. However, <insert name of main character's oldest trusted friend> has other ideas and has sent <insert assasin with single physical perculiarity> to muck it all up. In the end though, the assasin is despatched and the hero returns home while his friend is exposed and probably killed.
No wonder DVC was a best seller, he'd had a few practice attempts beforehand...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, 24 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
'Digital Fortress' is Dan Brown's first book, and it happens to be the last one of his that I've read. It's clear to see that he got better the more he wrote, particularly with 'Angels and Demons' and the 'Da Vinci Code'. But that's not to say that Digital Fortress isn't enjoyable.
In this novel we follow Susan Fletcher, who is the NSA's leading cryptologist, and the whole book takes place inside just one day. In it, Fletcher is taken through a whirlwind of conspiracies and secrets involving the US government's intelligence, in particular their ability to read anyone's email. The adventure is business and personal for Fletcher, as her fiancee is brought into the equation as well. This all makes for an entertaining read. So, certainly worth looking at, but by far Dan Brown's best.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this after Da Vinci code -- big mistake, 8 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
When Dan Brown wrote the Da Vinci code he had had three previous books as 'practice'. This is his first book and it shows. The plot is reasonable, but nothing like as compelling or page turning as say Angels and Demons. The characters are skeletal versions of characters in subsequent books and I read through it with a nagging feeling that all the jargon and constant reminders of just how brilliant the main characters are was merely covering a lack of substance and real interesting ideas. There are the charactaristic Dan Brown twists but little else.
About twenty pages before the end I began to wonder "is this it or is he saving the best for the final few pages. It was, and he wasn't.
Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown - Digital Fortress | Review, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)

And Brown isn't a terrible writer - he's more than capable, and that's almost part of the problem. It's convincing enough, it just feels uninspired - it's the alcohol-free beer of the book world, and I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or not. And to make matters worse, Digital Fortress is hardly his greatest novel.

That said, the subject matter should appeal to me - it's been described as a "technothriller", and it's almost a subtle parody of the real-life history of cryptography, a subject that I find fascinating and baffling at the same time. Brown's novel follows cryptographer Susan Fletcher as she attempts to crack a complex new code that threatens national security.

In many ways, it's typical of all of Brown's other work - you'll notice, after reading a couple of novels, that they all follow a formula. That's probably because he was formerly a lecturer in creative writing, and they always say that you need to know the rules before you break them - unfortunately, Brown never breaks them.

Still, Digital Fortress is far from the worst book that I've ever read, and it's definitely worth reading if you've read Dan Brown's work before and enjoyed it. However, don't read this before reading Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol - they're better-known for a reason. They're better.

It's interesting to note, though, that some of the topics that the book covers are even more relevant in this modern world than they were back in 1998, when the book was first published. In this sense, Brown did well to jump on the explosive growth of technology to secure inspiration for his government's surveillance of electronic information about the private lives of its citizens - if you do read Digital Fortress, just remember how the NSA, the British metropolitan police force and other key enforcement organisations are monitoring your activity on social networking sites.

And it's a testament to Dan Brown's writing skills that you do finish the book feeling genuinely paranoid, because it's believable and you wouldn't be surprised if something similar genuinely did happen from time to time - it's not as though the U.S. government is afraid to keep things under wraps. Sometimes I think that they know even more than we think they know, and they laugh at us because of it. Makes me glad to be British, really - our politicians are too inefficient to keep up a charade for long.

Overall, I'd hesitate to recommend this, but you're more than welcome to proceed at your own caution - it's a fairly long read, so think it over carefully before making a final decision.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Digital Fortress of Solicitude, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Kindle Edition)
In a book about cryptography you would expect the cast of characters to be largely geeks, dorks, and nerds. Not so in Brown's world. Like all of his heroes they are sophisticated, attractive, well dressed, well adjusted, impossibly successful people who, if they were real, would fill the rest of us with envy. It in fact, they are so likeable as to be despisable. I see this as a problem with most of the Dan Brown's books. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of a flawed hero. They are simply too perfect. It's not what we were all told that people actually want to read in our writing classes and workshops, but his books sell like hot cakes, so go figure. But this near-perfection of his heroes is something that I personally do not like about his work. How did all these computer geeks, academic types, and overworked managers get to be so perfect in every way? I don't think that one can be explained.

So we move on to the story. It's hard to remember the details of it, since Dan Brown stories are littered with complications which arise on every page. Broadly, it concerns a cryptographic algorithm that, if the US National Security agency gets its way, can be manipulated to give them an exclusive view into all the world's digital communications. This infuriates the open source hacker community to no end, and infuriates foreign governments even more. It creates what begins as a bidding war, and ends as the life-and-death battle over their new encryption system.

The story is certainly interesting, and littered chock-full with the digressions and red herrings that are Dan Brown's trademark. He certainly doesn't make it easy for his sympathetic characters. I think it's the only reason you have to sympathise with them. Whenever they begin to make progress, they get knocked back big time. You begin to feel sorry for these people, perfect as they are, never getting a break. It is not exactly life, but sometimes we all feel like that.

Much has been made by other reviewers of the factual inaccuracies in this book. I admit many of them must have passed me by. Perhaps I was overwhelmed by the sheer implausibility of the plot that I missed the various details about mainframes, computer hardware, encryption algorithms, and whether you can destroy an entire facility by damaging the IT system's cooling mechanism, but in general I found the technological side of it to be a lot of fun and, myself having been an IT guy in the past, thought provoking.

Many people know that Dan Brown is not a great writer. But he seems to give something that people want. I don't know what that is, and if I did I would try to bottle it. But whatever my complaints about his writing, I confess I enjoyed Digital Fortress. There's a lot of cool stuff in there, albeit some overly cool people posing alongside it. At least it's free from all the pretensions to reality that Angels and Demons and The da Vinci Code specialise in. Nobody is going to read this book and think, wow, all this stuff must be true!

Reviewed by the author of Copout.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Dan Brown book!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Kindle Edition)
This is absolutely my guilty pleasure! I have read this book many times and it never gets old for me. Susan Fletcher is a cryptographer for the secretive agency NSA. She has to cancel her romantic weekend away with fiancé David when there's an emergency at work. And this isn't just any emergency - this could rock the foundations of American security agencies. Susan is the only one with a fighting chance of saving her agency, her country and the love of her life.

I think Susan is a fantastic character in this book. She is very much a woman in a man's world but she has worked hard to achieve her post as head cryptographer. Susan has definitely proved herself to the people she works with.

I definitely don't want to spoil the plot for the people who have not read this book. Dan Brown creates a book which is not predictable in any way, there are twists and turns where you do not expect them. The plot is intriguing and I didn't want to put this book down. I think it must be the mathematician in me but I loved reading about all the codes the characters had to deal with. I found it really interesting that codes have been used by a variety of people including Julius Caeser.

Overall this is a fantastic thriller and my personal favourite of Dan Brown's books. Definitely worth a read if you have read Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best introduction to Dan Brown..., 23 Jan. 2008
Ms. M. Bulger "lycanthropeboy" (Didcot, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
This is the first Dan Brown book I've read, having been gifted with 'Digital Fortress', 'Angels and Demons', 'Deception Point' and 'The Da Vinci Code' and to be honest, I'm a little hesitant to read the other 3 now, even after being told that the others, especially 'Angels and Demons' are really worth looking at.

The characters are VERY one-dimensional and you find yourself not caring what happens to them. The 'twists and turns' in the plot are badly conceived and blazingly obvious. Books like this tend to need a re-read to understand thoroughly but you can guess narrative sections easily and it makes the book lack any sparkle.

There are no descriptive sections, making references to environments hazy at best and still not open enough to let your imagination play.

If you're looking for a mind-killer for a quiet afternoon (and that's all it'll take you to read it) then 'Digital Fortress' is for you. If you're looking for some technical explanations and have a thing for computer-nerdery but don't fully understand it, this is for you. If you want an in-depth, thrilling ride, look elsewhere.

It's almost like Chris Ryan got his hands on wikipedia.

On the plus side, the cover-art and layout of the book look quite nice, and the short snappy childish chapters make it easy to find your place again if you need a cup of tea mid-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Debut, 9 Aug. 2004
Scottish Dave (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
I bought this, Dan Brown's first novel, on the strength of reading The Da Vinci Code. It's not as strong or as indepth as The Da Vinci Code but nevertheless I found it an excellent read.
It centres around code breaking and computing - there is no art history or religion in sight this time. Originally published in 1998 the computing and technology side of the book will no doubt date with time but six years on it is not too dated although I am sure experts will no doubt pick holes in some of it.
The book centres around a couple searching for a key for a newly developed code. The woman, and main character, is in her place of work, a highly secure NSA building dedicated to code breaking. Her partner is in Europe tracking down a second copy of the key which is held inside a ring.
The book is fast paced and I read it within 24 hours. I found it thoroughly ejoyable and although some of the story was a bit predictable there were enough twists to it to make it page turner.
It's not as good as The Da Vinci code but it brought to me a similar excitement when reading it. A great debut 9/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Torture for those in computing, exciting for everyone else., 9 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
This is a bit of a 'Marmite' book. If you know about computer security and cryptography, this book will infuriate you with its thorough lack of understanding of the topics. Brown seems not to know the difference between a bit and a byte and the cryptographical aspects are substantially flawed. Several crucial plot points revolve around non-existent mathematical laws, a serious misunderstanding of how encryption is used and of how high-end supercomputers work. Brown references two mysterious ex-NSA cryptanalysts in the creation of the book but either they spoke to him for only about ten minutes, or they were fakes, because little of the technical details here make sense.

All that said, the novel behind the details was very entertaining to read. Those without knowledge or interest in the real-world computing will probably find this a very exciting thriller. The romance behind the main character's relationship is a little too 'perfect' to be truly believable, but otherwise the non-technical aspects were good.

In conclusion, you will likely enjoy this book provided you have no interest or knowledge about computing and cryptography. If you do, I would suggest giving it a miss to preserve your humour.

Digital Fortress
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (Paperback - 28 Aug. 2009)