5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read
Published on 8 Sep 2009 by pimp dog wooz

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM book
Do not purchase unless you have a Kindle, book cannot be converted to other formats for other ereaders. This therefore makes this purchase an absolute waste of time and money. Check first if you can.
Published 15 months ago by Simon H

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
After reading this personal account I no longer refer to the author as Mark Ormrod, but i feel i know him well enough to call him "Rammers". The highs and lows of the book are told in a very 'matter of fact' way and with brutal honesty. When he was feeling down, i felt down. I was taken through a whirlwind of emotions- love, pain, denial, uselessness, determination, commitment and so many more

Rammers is a typical bootneck, evident from incorporating the ethos of the Marines into his book- Cheerfulness in adversity, unselfishness, determination and courage. I admit i went teary eyed at a few points, yet it is one of the funniest books i have read. He spins some good dits and laughs range from his cheeky "warning shot" to the tricks he plays with prosthetic limbs

I am planning to join the Marines in 2010 and i know that no matter how hard the beastings are or how long the runs are, it is nothing compared to overcoming a gigantic feat like this.

I have nothing but admiration for Rammers.

A true Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Down but definately not OUT!! Mark Ormrod, 27 Aug 2009
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
As a former Bootneck and still a member of this great family we are all in, I to don't care much for reading unless there is some meaning to the book to be read.

When I heard this was coming out via Facebook and Mark it was a priority to get it and must say it was read within 2 days. I couldn't put it down.

There were times that I found myself getting emotional and whenever I read certain paragraphs out to others I filled up.

Mark Ormrod is a true Hero and an inspiration to all who find themselves in similar circumstances. With true Commando spirit and the support of his family he has shown that life is for living and you don't need to hold your own pity party and hibernate.

Page 212 "you choose your branch and take your chance" this sums up the reason we all join the military.

Well Done Mark for showing us the reality of war and what our guys are going through daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Down for running repairs, 12 Oct 2009
A. Palmer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
This is the best book that I have read in ages! I was in Sangin in the Helmand Province with Bravo Company when Mark was injured. I remember being in the HQ when we heard the Nine liner across the net and immediatly knew it was one of our lads injured from his Zap number! Hearing the injuries that Mark had sustained things didn't look good for him. Having worked in the operating theatre in Bastion briefly I knew how good the surgeons and operating staff were, that if he managed to get to them alive he had a chance.
Mark being alive is testamet to the skills of all the medical chain from the medic and his mates on the ground to the MERT and all the staff at Bastion Hospital, AEROMED team and all those in Sellyoak. Of course Mark himself was key in his survival, his physical fitness and strength of character Commando Spirit gave all those involved in his care a live patient despite the extremely serious injuries that he sustained.
Having heard about Mark's incident my troop were then out looking for IED's the next day and there was a new sense of care when performing Fives and Twenties!
Seeing Mark & Ben at 40 CDO's OSM Parade was a humbling experience for me, seeing them applaud as the uninjured, myself included, members of the Commando march past the VIP's.
Mark's account of what happend and how he and those around him dealt with the aftermath is so intense and you can't help having a tear in your eye. I challenge anyone who reads this book not to! Mark definatly opens himself up and gives you his true thoughts and feelings about what was going on in his mind and his impressions of what others around him were feeling and thinking.
During his account of events during his Royal Marines Training at CTC and his experiences as a young man in Iraq and Norway you can't help laughing at his and other's antics.
The speed and nature of his recovery is remarkable due to his attitude, strength and resiliance and is a shining example to others who have subsequently received similar injuries due to the Taliban's tactics.
This is a well written and structured book that will make all who read it stop and think, could I have coped if it had been me? There are those who have to ask themselves that very question every time they go out on patrol!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiration to a generation, 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
As Simon Weston became a Hero and an inspiration to his generation during and after the Falklands campaign so Mark carries on a tradition born out of courage and a determination to succeed. It is a gift that so few have. The will power to change and adapt after such horrendous injury. Many cannot. Many need the help and support of people like Mark to encourage them back to a feeling of normality and to give them challenges that,with the determination and will power to keep going, enable them to forget their disabilities. Many organisations are out to help and support our wounded military personnel but without the inspirational books written by these heroes it would be that much harder for some.
Mark's book is a true story of a marine that went to war to fight for Queen and country. He has experienced more in 5yrs than mere mortals would experience in a lifetime.
You cannot compare books written with this sort of compassion. He is a truly remarkable man, Has a truly remarkable wife and family that encourage and support him without the need for feeling sorry. They all have adapted to Mark's life and stay focused on their own lives aswell.
This book should and will inspire a nation, a generation that can. A generation that will succeed when the chips are down. A generation faced with unemployment,debt and knife crime can take from Mark a lesson. He lost far more in a country that we won't even see in our lives. He and many others have given so much to a country in need of stabilisation and a sense of purpose. To be rid of the insurgents, the drugs and to see Afghanistan become a prosperous safe country could become a reality for Mark Ormrod. That in itself would justify to us all that it was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unable to put it down!!!!, 26 Aug 2009
L. Hudson "Lucy" (Northampton) - See all my reviews
Rammers,

A true hero and inspiration to many. I have been inspired by Mark to discuss what he has been through with the students I teach - up to now I don't think they have believed everything he's been through. This book will make our 'hoodie' generation wake up and realise that they are not the centre of the universe.

Some of my form are off to join the Army and I will purchase this book to go with them to remind them what they are undertaking and the postive side of what can happen if the worst does happen.

Mark - thank you for sharing your journey from Bootneck to Hero with the support of Bex & Kez and your family and friends.

Read it twice already and have recommended it to everyone.

Thanks for a fab read Rammers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Down, 26 Aug 2009
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
I am not a big reader, and I generally buy a book at the airport whilst travelling to my holiday, and with this book it was no different. With me, books either fail or succeed within the first few pages. If I like it I carry on, if I dont I put it down and that is that.

This book is awesome. I read this book in 2 days flat, and could not put it down. I am a former Royal Marine, so I could relate to bits of this book, but I am so glad to say I have never been in an environment that Mark describes.

At times, this book brought me to tears. The explosion, the injuries, the determination, the pain, the honesty and his success is all here. I will not try and describe how well written it is, because I could not do it justice, but I will say that I defy anyone not to read it and become emotional and intrigued by it.

Buy it today, you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoofin' read, Rammers!, 25 Aug 2009
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
I'm not the best at reading so it's great when a good read comes along. This book is one you can't put down. I would say the same about the books "Chickenhawk", "Bravo-20" and "Jarhead".

I have always respected the Royal Marines as the best trained and the best fighting force in the world who fight on infantry terms, but don't they know it! To them everyone else are 'hats' or 'REMF's'. They are a tightly-knit bunch and rightly so, but on occasion they do extend that friendship to the rest of us.

I was at FOB ROB at the same time as Mark. Despite it being a seriously undermanned FOB with just a few of us spread across its defences, I can't claim to have known Mark well, but I can validate his recounting of events. He does not exaggerate or dramatise what happened, that's how it was.

Who should read this book? Anyone Helmand-bound for sure to remind them that the Taliban and foreign insurgents use the dirtiest of tactics against our troops, but also anyone who wants to experience the fighting spirit of the British soldier, Royal Marines and Army alike. This story has been published because it will sell. Pity those other injured soldiers (and civilians) whose injuries are not serious enough to sell books.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the best traditions of a Royal Marine, 6 Oct 2009
M. Vallance "Mikey V" (Warwick, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
My Grandfather served in the Royal Marines for five years in the Second World war. He left the Marines in 1945 due to the combined impact of his physical and psychological injuries incurred in the Walcheren Island/Antwerp Campaign in Oct/Nov 1944. He regaled me with many stories later in life and what came through strongly was the resilience, team spirit, good humour and positive attitude of the Royal Marines in all sorts of difficult circumstances. My Grandfather saw two Landing Craft adjacent to his blown up with all hands lost, including some of his close friends, as the Marines sped into battle to land under heavy fire.

Apologies for going into this slight diversion however it is very apparent that the spirit and camraderie of the Royal Marines of my Grandfather's generation, lives on very much with the young men and women in the Royal Marines today. Mark's book is an extremely readable account of his experiences in Afghanistan, and then the very tough period in his life when he was severely injured in an IED explosion, losing both legs and his right arm. I read this book in 48 hours and could not put it down, it made feel very inspired and grateful for the efforts of Mark and his comrades in Afghanistan and other operational theatres, and also for the humility and commitment shown by him and his family.

It is a great mixture of raw facts, humour and courage and I would urge every member of the British Public to read this book, even if they dont read anything else. Quite frankly, every member of staff at Selly Oak Hospital and Headley Court should receive a hoofin' good payrise and a medal for their services to people like Mark and this country.

All the best for the future, Mark and Becky, you deserve a great one.

5.0 out of 5 stars "One Brave Marine", 4 Oct 2009
Mr. R. Spinks (Ipswich.Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
As a former Royal Marine I know what the Lad's go through.Mark Ormrod is a credit to Himself,his country ,his family and especially HM Royal Marines.
Once you start reading this book it's hard to put down as its such a true gripping story and a "Hoofin" read !!
Englands salute you Mark.
Regards aye
Rod

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Down, 1 Oct 2009
H. Mika - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Down (Hardcover)
Absolutely Brilliant book. Very humbling and very inspirational. Makes you realise what you can do when you have to and what dedication these men have.
A real eye opener and a very detailed account of the strength it took to get back onto two feet. Not only Mark but other people in the same situation. So detailed you feel as if you are taking every step with him...
Worth reading and you wont put it down.

ARRAY(0xb3b38d98)

Man Down
Man Down by Marine Mark Ormond (Paperback - 19 Aug 2010)
7.19