5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published on 4 Jan. 2011 by A. Harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BUT ....
Les Pringle unfortunately lets himself down with his attitude towards patients with mental health problems. His attitude towards failed sucides in particular is very inappropriate and dangerous. I would otherwise have given the book 5 stars.

Published 8 months ago by Prof TBun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
I got this book for Christmas after reading 'Blue Lights and Long Nights' and had finished reading it a couple of days later. Not bad going during the festivities! A superb read from start to finish, and being in the emergency services myself, can sympathise and empathise with some of the stories, in particular, one including a child, as a similar thing happened to myself on a job, and this was read with a lump in my throat due to the memory and Mr Pringle's writing style, which is like sitting around the mess table listening to his anecdotes first hand. Not an easy task, but Mr Pringle achieves this with aplomb. Even if you're not an 'emergency sevice book' fan, this is still a gripping read as it is a fantastic study of human nature. I sincerely hope there will be another book from Mr Pringle. Without a doubt, one of the best books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The simple truth,, 7 Oct. 2012
I've got/read Les's books, and, as I said in other reviews, I worked at "the Street" with Les. I also worked Coventry and South Birmingham for many years. The tales Les tells are true, and believe me, are repeated throughout the greater West Midlands area. I get an extra chuckle from Les's writing as I know WHO he really is writing about, and can see and hear them now. Ken, Lloydy, Malcolm, etc., all real life persons with different names in the book. I saw the wide range of emotions that Les writes about, every day. Anger, frustration, despair, (and that was just with the Management!). Helpless laughter at some of the lighter moments, including the many practical jokes played to help ease the burden of a heavy work load. (10 calls per shift wasn't unusual for me).
Les puts the people of the Metropolis into perspective, mostly good, some odd, but a few ... well, just scum I'm afraid to say.
The giant corporate conglomerate that is now central England's Ambulance Service is far too Centrally Managed, far too Politically Correct, far too obsessed with accelerated promotion, Graduate entry staff, Management Consultants and Image Consultants, to let the Staff be human and compassionate. Thus, in years to come, tales like Les's will not be told. So read this and laugh or cry, with one of the nicest blokes I've known telling a small part of life on the streets........

5.0 out of 5 stars ambulance, 23 April 2011
Alex. M (Taunton. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
As a retired Paramedic with 36years service. I sat and read this in a short time. Les you had me in tears with laughter and saddness. a great book. But,oh my how times have changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars With out people like you Les, 16 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
With out poeple like you Les writing about their experiances in life in the Ambulance service many of us just see blue and to's and not think much of it.I have now read both of your books, first one being Blues Lights and Long Night which I have to say kept me awake untill the early hours just could'nt but it down. So when the second book came out I knew I was in for some late nights Both books just BRILLANT.A MUST READ
Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading about the weird and quirky things they have to put up with and in particularly the TV documentary. It made me look at ambulance shows in a different light. I work in a hotel and we often get asked to be on TV and I am so glad that my boss refuses every time. This fly on the wall TV in the hotel industry is often about making fun of the hotel and employees and fault finding.

From a road safety point of view I was interested in the pranks whilst drivers were driving and it makes me think, as more ambulances are having accidents, whether a prank was involved at the time. It was an eye opener.

I would like to have read about traffic congestion and how hard it is now for emergency services to get through with so many cars around. Sometimes I see them stuck in traffic for a long time whilst their blue lights are flashing, particularly in London. OUr local fire service had to move to the industrial estate because there was so much traffic blocking the entrance to the High St.

I got a bit bored with the maternity stories but I liked the rest.

I was shocked at the 'repeat patients', another eye opener.

As for the pranks, you wonder what the manager of the ambulance service was up to, as some of it sounds more like bullying than 'pranks'.

I think it would be interesting to read a book about what the ambulance service is like know. I wonder if anyone can recommend one. Must be a lot of changes and types of people ie nuisance binge drinkers after 18th and 21st birthday parties.

I liked the down to earth style, some of it was very funny. I was glued to the book. I'd recommend this book. I am now getting the Blue Lights book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't call an ambulance, 16 Mar. 2011
As a health care worker myself and now a teacher of future health workers, including paramedics, I am a bit of a sucker for this type of real life book. This one had me laughing, crying, shouting and cheering. The stories are sensitively told and from my own experiences very honest. After 27 years as a health prfessional I am left a little sad at what is happening with health care and how emergency services are frankly abused, but aside from that it is a very funny book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent BUT ...., 6 Sept. 2014
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews

Otherwise this is fairly lighthearted collection of annecdotes, which is interesting to listen through. The audio version is very clearly read, if perhaps not by the most convincing voice.

The annectdotes cover Pringle's entire career from naive youth, to the senior man with over 30 years experience. All the action takes place from the same ambulance station in Birmingham.

Do not expect the drama of Casuality. Pringle is more concerned with recounting the widest variety of strange situations, than creating his own personal soap opera.

Overall a better than average biographical account, that I recomend to most listeners.

3.0 out of 5 stars A healthy memoir of life on the medical frontline, 22 Nov. 2011
Mrs. S. Biddulph (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
This is a very comfortable read, easy going and charming. It is a memoir of Les's life as a paramedic in the 80s and early 90s. I really enjoyed it and liked the variety of tales from births to deaths and drunken nights to break-ups. It gives a good flavour of the variety of the job and dealing with the British public in all their glory, sometimes funny, sometimes frustrating, sometimes tragic. You can easily dip in and out of the book and each chapter would stand on its own, but hung together as a book it works well as a series of snapshots.

5.0 out of 5 stars XLNT Book Review, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
This is the second book written by Les Pringle about the ambulance service. Fantastic, down to earth, funny and sad - couldn't put it down!!

1.0 out of 5 stars not this title, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Call the Ambulance! (Paperback)
this book is a reprint of blue lights andlong nights was not pleased as already read bluelights!what a waste of money .
gave to charaty shop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Call the Ambulance!
Call the Ambulance! by Les Pringle (Paperback - 25 Nov. 2010)