5.0 out of 5 stars From a cyclists view point
I received this book as a Christmas present. Its now 30th December and I have finished it having hardly put it down and largely ignored other Christmas related events.
I am a long distance cyclist myself, although not in Mark Beaumont's league or anywhere near it, but I can relate to the chalenges and problems he met in his epic journey.
There was the desire to...
Published on 30 Dec 2011 by TravellingDave

3.0 out of 5 stars Endurance cycling for the endurance reader
Published on 1 Aug 2009 by John Speakman

5.0 out of 5 stars From a cyclists view point, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
There was the desire to cover a huge distance each day, resisting the temptation of spending time exploring beautiful and interesting places en route. I can tell you that a 100 miles day after day on a bike takes a hell of a lot of effort.
There was also the fear of mechanical break-down, which can be a major problem when stranded miles from anywhere. I liked his account of these problems and how they were overcome, because I have been there myself. Mark had also to cope down with problems with his engine - his body, under the strain of propelling his bike against the wind, rain, cold and many many hills.
I can also relate to the daily search for somewhere to sleep and the fear of not finding it.
I think this book will appeal very much to touring cyclists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and eye opening, 1 Nov 2010
S. Qua (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
I've just finished this book and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Not being a cyclist but having a keen interest to do a cycle trip I found this book an eye opener in terms of some of Mark's experiences. They're experiences you would never encounter travelling by any other means and they're also experiences I've never imagined or even passed my mind.

Having read a similar style book about a runner, I found Mark's book to be far more intersting. It's far too easy for these types of books to become a montonous read - about a guy who gets up and cycles or runs everyday. I particularly liked reading about his emotions and feelings and more so, his lack of planning in certain stages. It's given me great insight into what's involved in such a trip and I find anyone who can do any such activity wholly inspiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Endurance cycling for the endurance reader, 1 Aug 2009
John Speakman (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Before I write this review I think I should clarify that I think Mark's achievement riding round the world in under 200 days was absolutely amazing. For that I am in awe and can't praise him enough. And I suppose doing the blog throughout the trip, making the TV programme and writing a book are all par for the course. However, there is a slight problem. When you are racing around the world you are sat on a bike almost all day every day. So in fact nothing much of interest happens. You don't see anything of the places you pass through, and you meet precious few colourful characters for insufficient time for you to find anything out about them. There are no romantic entanglements to make you question whether you should stop somewhere forever and not go home. Moreover, because the book tells us that he achieved the world record on the back cover the potential tension about whether he will make it or not (which works in a real time blog) is completely absent in the book. In fact this is basically groundhog day on two wheels. He gets up, bikes all day for about 100 miles. Eats in a café somewhere and then pitches his tent and falls asleep. Next day same thing. Next day same thing with saddle sores. Next day same thing but sleeps in motel. In fact when he finally got knocked off I felt happy because something had actually happened, instead of feeling empathy for his predicament, worried about what he would do next and anxious he might not make it in time to beat the record. This book could have been half the size and I would have raved about it. If you want to read something more interesting about a big long bike trip, without feeling you are on some sort of endurance feat yourself, I would suggest you try `Why don't you fly' by Chris Smith, or `Thunder and Sunshine' by Alastair Humphreys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 12 Aug 2010
Mr. J. T. Lawler "Running reader" (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
This book is stunning. To recall the myriad events on the road so accurately and then put them into words, which were completely absorbing, takes some doing. Baring in mind the guy was over six months on the road and utterly exhausted and focused on pushing pedals.
This is the best book I have ever read. And I have read a lot of books.
I find it hard to believe other reviewers weren't impressed.

2.0 out of 5 stars A tough read, 2 Sep 2009
M. Holroyd - See all my reviews
Lots of other reviewers enjoyed this book, giving it 4 or 5 stars. While the book is well written, I must warn you it is very monotonous. This is not suprising given that other than the occasional visit from a physio or the BBC making a documentary, the author undertook the journey alone. In the first couple of chapters we get an idea of the routine involved, cycle, try to find food to refuel, find a place to sleep at night. The problem is that this is repeated throughout the book, over and over and over. Nothing terribly exciting really happens. I did'nt finish the book in the end, the repetition becoming to much for me half way through. One for the serious cycling enthusiast only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it a lot!!, 27 Sep 2010
T. Knight (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
I was reading this from the point of view of someone interested in cycling and a month after finishing my own mini challenge in the form of Lands End to John O'Groats... some of the other reviewers are right... you're not going to get lengthy descriptions of local customs, architecture and in depth accounts of romance on the way. What you do get is a great insight into the aspiration, state of mind and experiences of someone on a unique adventure that required guts and determination - in these days of package holidays and if you're not careful, packaged life, I found it inspiring stuff !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blog style book out there, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
Great read, what an adventure, cyclng around the world by bike and with a world record deadline. Really enjoyed Mark's descriptions of the places he went and people he met plus the scrapes he had. The format of the book also becomes rather unique - nearly a blog style account by the end, which made a nice difference. Dunno what the previous reviewer was on about it not being interesting, it was, cycling through Iran, Pakistan, Australia etc on his lonesome with just a tent, staying in a random petrol station Mosque or under a road tunnel, being put in jail by the Pakistan police with villagers starring at him for hours, meeting the girl of his dreams and having to weigh up whether to travel with her or stay on target for the record. My sister, who rarely reads books, couldn't put this one down, which is saying something. All credit to Mark Beaumont for a great adventure, world record and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 27 May 2011
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
For a first book this will do nicely. Whilst some parts feel repetitive, that was the nature of his trip - an endurance cycle to complete a world record, at the obvious expense of a more in depth travelogue. What did you expect? In actual fact this book conveys the enthusiasm and breadth of his adventure extremely well. He takes us all along for the ride. And what a ride it was! I found much of the book unputdownable as he gets ever closer to his goal. It is well worth the read and you do get an overwhelming sense of adventure and planning that went into it. The little things that happened along the way make it an even better experience than it could have been. Its not perfect but Mark has done wonderfully well to write such an accomplished book in amongst everything else that was all part of this adventure. The picture of a very determined, yet modest young individual comes across elegantly, as does his excitement not just in completing his task but fully in the taking part. The prose are enough to keep you fully entertained without giving the whole picture away, so your imagination is constantly being nourished. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
Just a brilliant book. As a keen cyclist I can understand the rush of doing this trip but could never imagine actually doing it. The part where Mark passed through from Iran into Pakistan was simply spellbinding. Living here in the western world in my cosy house it was such an eye opener as to how people live, survive and put up with it. Felt quite bereft when i'd finished the book as it was as though my friend I had staying with me had finally left! Would recommend to anyone whether they like cycling or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Honest, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Man Who Cycled The World (Paperback)
I had read previous reviews and one was about how Mark Beaumont wasted his time and missed the chance to really experience cultures and travel properly because of his focus on achieving the world record. This reviewer missed the point entirely, and I suspect if I or Mark himself explained the reasons why he didn't stop and absorb the culture and countries more, he/she wouldn't understand anyway.

This, to me, was all about the challenge and pushing himself to see just how far he could go. Some people can do this, some people can only understand this, and most people can't do either. I suspect that his main goal was to set up a life and a career doing something that he loved and not pencil-pushing at a desk all day. Cycling the world got him on his way to this and he describes his journey through the challenge, and before the challenge with some intriguing background into his reasons for doing it, with great honesty and providing insight into the world of an extreme endurance athlete.

The book inspired a friend of mine to cycle from China back to England after being an English teacher in Korea and is currently motivating me to seek out my own adventures and push my own boundaries. I have great admiration for a man who bit the bullet and reached out and grabbed life with both hands and is not letting go.

ARRAY(0xb577551c)

The Man Who Cycled The World
The Man Who Cycled The World by Mark Beaumont (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)
6.29