Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 November 2009
I purchased this book as a Swindon Town fan and wanted to know the truth behind the scandal that Swindon went through, when Lou Macari was manager of the club.
I also wanted to under stand why one of the best British football managers is not managing a high profile club.

The book covers Lou's time with Manchester United and Celtic and gives an insight to how they were managed and also how Lou learnt the trade.

I enjoyed the book, and in some daft way it has given me closer (using Katie price's word) to the Swindon Town affair. I believe the club were used as a warning to other clubs and paid a heavy price as did Lou Macari.

The book tells a sad or unfortunate life which should have been a riches tale of not only money but a management legacy that should be up there with the top British managers, why Scotland haven't come knocking beats me, I would have him installed as a Swindon manager any day of the week.

The book touches the part in Lou's life when he lost his son, It made my heart weep, I have a son of 5 who I love so much and to loose him would break me, and you can tell that it broke a very decent man in Lou Macari.
I thank Lou Macari for the good days he brought to Swindon and If any of the Scottish FA are reading this, give Lou the Job.
on 4 July 2011
Lou Macari who played at the highest level of the game with Celtic and Manchester United as well as with Scotland at the 1978 World Cup has seen a lot in his life time so it's only fitting that he shares his stories with us and in a market that's dominated by bland autobiographies it's good to say that Lou shoots from the hip on all subjects.

Long before Roy Keane complained about Ireland's world cup preparations in 2002, Macari was doing the same in 1978 regarding Scotland's preparations and it's something that cost him his International career. Macari covers his early career at Celtic under the legendary Jock Stein and what it was like for a young footballer playing at the European champions. Macari also covers his transfer to Manchester United and how he nearly joined arch rivals Liverpool and why he has no regrets in choosing United instead. He shares his joy of the 1977 F.A Cup final and the heartbreak of the 1976 and 1979 cup finals. As well as the end of his playing career at Swindon Town.

The book get's real interesting during his managerial career including his up and down period at Swindon Town where he led the club to successive promotions, getting sacked before quickly being reinstated. His time at Swindon plays at big part in the book as of course he was taken to court by the inland revenue for making illegal payments to players. He also covers his case against Fergus McCann the Celtic owner who sacked him as he was boarding a plane for the 1994 World Cup in the U.S.A.

Lou Macari enjoyed many a magical Wembley moment as a manager of Stoke City and Birmingham City giving those fans success in smaller tournaments, all these are well covered in the book, as is his short spell at West Ham United and Huddersfield Town. It also covers his application for the Tranmere Rovers job.

No doubt the hardest thing Macari had to deal with when writing this book was revisiting the death of his son Jonathan at just 19 years of age and the massive hole it's left in his life since that nothing can fill. Macari also covers his other two son's Michael and Paul who were both at Stoke City with him.

Macari who always spoke his mind which made him a natural fit for TV and Radio so much that he now mainly appears on MUTV and Sky Sports News usually discussing his beloved Manchester United. Anybody who has an interest in football and wants a good read should pick up this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am a Manchester United fan and remember Lou Macari playing well when I was younger. He is a likeable character. His book is an easy read which shows him to be a hardworking family man who loves football. Many of the comments he makes comparing the game then and now are interesting and might well be valid. He is a man faced with difficulties in his football life and tragedies in his personal life. This book comes across as an honest and sincere account of his life. It is revealing. I always feel a sign of a good autobiography or biography is whether you feel you know the person better than before you read it. The answer for this book is in the affirmative. It compares very favourably to the Book by Paul Scholes which I found very disappointing. This book has an interest for United, Celtic, Swindon, West Ham and Stoke supporters. It is well worth a read by anyone who is interested in football. It is a good read. Recommended.
on 7 August 2015
This is okay as far as football biographies go - pretty routine stuff, quick and easy read.

There aren't many big or interesting revelations, and I very much felt I was very much only hearing one side of the story on certain issues such as when management jobs didn't work out or when he was tried over the financial business at Swindon.

He comes across as a 'My way or the highway' type and thinks all modern ideas on tactics, nutrition etc are a load of rubbish. He isn't currently in management as far as I know - surprising, that.
on 15 June 2014
Lou Macari was always one of my favourite players when growing up as a Red. I have the 1970s version of his autobiography but bioraphies made whilst people are young and still playing for the club are never as good as ones written when people have lived a bit longer and experienced life. In Lou's case he's had more than a few ups and downs in his life and he tells them very well in a book I would strongly recommend.
on 25 September 2013
This book was enjoyed by my partner. He enjoys reading about Scottish footballers, how they became successful and what they did after their playing careers ended.
on 7 October 2013
The person I bought it for said it was alot better than he expected it to be. He enjoyed finding out some new facts about Macari and insight into his career.
on 25 March 2013
Lou Macari was one of my favourite footballers, and I was very interested to read his life story. Superb account. A must for all fans who love football.
on 17 July 2013
As a Swindon supporter I had to buy this and read it I was a little disappointed but it's not a bad read on a wet night
on 1 November 2012
Came quick great stocking filler for football fans if unsure what else to get. Interesting and a good read .