Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2008
Have waited for this follow up for a long long time, and yet again it doesn't diasappoint. There are no flaws in Wingfield's pacy scripts, filled with witty dialogue and twists and turns. Am only sad that he died before I could thank him for his top quality efforts with Frost. For those of you who have seen the television spin off, don't imagine these books are anything like it. They are just so much better.
on 10 April 2008
As you'd expect from R. D. Wingfield, this is a cracking read - funny, dark and fast. Frost is at his unorthodox best when pitted against his slimy nemesis DCI Skinner, and there are so many twists and turns you just can't put the book down. If you're new to Frost, start with this one and you'll be hooked.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2008
It is astounding as to how many cases/plots this novel contains and yet at no time do you lose the thread of them or feel confused.
The dialogue is realistic, the humour has you laughing despite the dark and chilling crimes, the relationships between the police officers are expertly drawn and conveyed and Wingfield makes all this seem effortless.
R D Wingfield's writing is skilful to the point that DI Jack Frost is likeable and deplorable at the same time. The pace is so fast that you can hardly bear to put the book down and not read on. Like the other reviewers and praise on the dust jacket, it's so sad that there won't be any more of Frost.
on 11 August 2008
Its sad that this will be the last Frost book but lovely to be able to say that Mr Wingfield went out on a high. This is the real Frost, not the somewhat sanitised TV version, rude, crude and full of piss and vinegar. Frost and his nemesis, Superintendent Mullett, battle it out to the end in a multilayered story that makes one laugh and cringe in equal amounts.
on 28 May 2008
As I've read everyone of these books, I couldn't wait to start this book. Full of humour (that David Jason does to perfection in the TV series) this is so easy to read and to whiz through. The characters and dialogue are brilliant. Am really upset that there won't be anymore, and hope that nobody else writes follow-ups as I don't think they'd be as brilliantly written. Wish that I hadn't finished it so quickly!!
on 14 April 2008
It's been a long time coming but well worth the wait mutiple story lines
Frost is a great British creation couldn't put it down
on 6 October 2010
I've not devoured a book as passionately as this in a very long time. As a big fan of both the books and the on-screen series this was absolutely compelling, even for a bit of a plodder when it comes to reading like myself.
As many people before me have highlighted it can be difficult to draw parallels between the portrayal of Jack on the telly and the Inspector in the book. Consequently when I picked up Night Frost I was in for a surprise at his coarseness so be prepared to be unprepared if you're hoping for David Jason's cheeky-chappy charm; I lent this to my mother who was appalled by his phallocentric remarks and its graphic descriptions so don't say you haven't been warned ;)

I do sometimes wonder how much Denton's population must decrease per census due to the abundance of murders and crimes Frost solves in this novel alone. As a result if you don't read it in quick successions, attempting to remember everything that has happened might become a bit overwhelming as the plot is very layered. However the plot hopefully won't be the only thing that is involved - as a reader I laughed (heartily!), grimaced, cocked an eyebrow at the apparent misogyny, pitied the hapless Taffy, and resented Mullet for the first time (and Skinner, much, much more) for the spineless treatment of Jack. And Drysdale the home office pathologist is as supercilious as ever.

I don't want to give away too much and I refrained from reading reviews before I had it first-hand myself, but A Killing Frost truly is the best of the 3 I've read so far. The only problem that I discovered was when upon attempting to find an address to stick on the letter I'd wrote imploring R.D. Wingfield to write more, is that he died 3 years ago, and it's very sad to know there will be no more in the series. I'll miss that irreverent man in the dirty old mac and I'll even miss the Superintendent and his obsessive moustache-smoothing
on 2 January 2009
Over the past month I have spent more on books than I can count, all of them have been thrown down by chapter 4..if I managed to get that far. As far as crime goes,you will be hard pushed to get better than R D Wingfield. Just to think that this will be his last book,is a crime in it's self. Sadly he died in 2007, and to me the world has lost a true great. Not only does he keep you on the edge of your seat with all 6 books,but he has you laughing out loud too. David Jason does a real job of D I Frost,but the books are ten times better,and I think that goes for any book that has been made in to a film.
As I said,this is the last book and I will find it hard to get another author that I can pick of the shelf and know I will finish the book and still want for more. When Mr Wingfield died,the true British thriller died with him. A sad...sad loss.
Just one of his books are worth ten that you can find in any book store. So he wrote six books,and if you ask me what book to buy?. Well all of them. They will grace the book shelf in any home.
on 17 November 2008
It is a long time since I read my last Frost novel and I'd forgotten just how good these books are. With great characters and inter-twining plots, this book is the nearest I've come to un-put-downable in a long time and ranks alongside the very best crime fiction. This was a book that I was truly sad to finish.
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2009
How sad that this is the final Frost novel ever, following RD Wingfield's death in 2007. It's as funny, punchy, fast-moving and invigorating as the earlier novels, and longer too - it doesn't suffer for this at all, in fact, the length simply heightens the enjoyment. Frost is as rude, funny, irreverent and brilliant as ever; forced to deal with several violent, disturbing cases, as well as an attempt by Mullett and the newly-arrived and instantly despised DCI Skinner, to get rid of him, he's stretched to the limit and wastes little time in telling everyone concerned exactly what he's thinking. The plot is superb - complex but well handled, the characters come alive off the page and there are many lines that made me laugh out loud. All round, a brilliant buy - if, like me, you were disappointed by the 2008 ITV Frost series (A Touch Of Frost - Series 14 [DVD] [2008]), don't be put off this book - like all the others, it's far better than any of the TV shows.