Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2015
Another fast moving tale of greed and terror and the role our police play in defending us the general public from the bad guys and the shadowy figures in the underworld and in positions of power.
on 12 February 2010
Simon Kernick's novels read like films! They've got great chase sequences, and I love all the twists and turns he puts in along the way. In Target an ordinary bloke finds himself the wrong end of a crime through no fault of his own, and then with his own life in danger has to find out what's going on. I really liked the hero, Rob Fallon - but the true star is police-woman Tina Boyd who has her own secret to keep. Brilliant stuff! I've read all of Mr Kernick's books so far, and can't wait to read the new one. Definitely a five-star novel.
on 22 March 2010
I have read all of Simon Kernick's books and enjoyed them. This one however is a total washout. A weak plot, ludicrous inconsistencies and very predictable. It read like Kernick had pulled it together over the weekend and the publisher let it through without reading it.
on 18 June 2009
What a roller-coaster ride of a book! As usual Kernick hits the spot when it comes to creating a real page turner that you simply just cannot put down once started, when compared to his earlier books such as The Murder Exchange for example you can really see how he has come on as a writer.

It's a taut tale and similar to most of his books post Relentless involves a main character that you can believe in and put yourself in their own shoes whilst events from way out of their world and comfort zone tumble down on top of them like an avalanche. What would "you" do in their shoes? I think that's been the secret to Mr Kernick's major success since Relentless in writing such a style of book. There are twists and turns in this book that leave the mind spinning and some things that you will never see coming. His best book? For me pretty much yes, on a par with the excellent Severed I'd say which I also could not put down. The trouble is now another long wait until his next new novel, at least that will be in January 2010 and not June.
on 7 February 2010
Never read any of Simon Kernick's books and came across this in a well known high street book store and then ordered it on Amazon. I am not an avid reader and tend only to read on holidays etc. This book captured my attention from the first page and I read it in record time for me. I liked the pace of the story and the short chapter format. I was so impressed by this author that I have bought a few more of his books for my forthcoming holidays. I would highly recommend this book as a cracking good read.
I have bought a few more second hand books by this author from Amazon and I have found the service to be first class and the books to be in very good condition.
on 2 May 2016
My pet hates with crime novels are pages devoted to descriptions about the weather, the scenery and what people look like. I also struggle with books that have lots of characters and plot lines so this book should be perfect for me. Almost no descriptions, few characters and one plot line. However, the whole book is missing something and I struggled to finish it. I can't really put my finger on it apart from it reads more like a screen play than a novel.
on 16 June 2016
I have just finished this book and I think it is the best one I have read so far by Simon Kernick. I have not read them all yet but I have got most of them. It is so exciting and fast paced I did not want it to finish. It is a brilliant read. The ones that I have already read have all been fantastic. Keep up the good work Simon you are a brilliant author.
on 13 June 2016
I've really got into this series of books and can't put them down! You do not need to have read the series as each book can be read standalone although I would recommend you start at book 1 - purely for the enjoyment of knowing another few follow!
on 2 June 2015
If you like your thrillers non-stop, this is one to savour. The narrative style (part first person, part third) is unusual and interesting. Recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 October 2009
This is my third Simon Kernick thriller. If you want non-stop adrenalin-filled action, he's your man. His books take off at 500 miles an hour and don't let up. Target is no exception.

Rob Fallon goes home from a nightclub with a friend's ex-girlfriend (Jenny). They are interrupted by two armed men who break in and abduct Jenny. Rob manages to escape but when he goes to the police, he finds that there is no evidence that a crime was committed: her apartment appears untouched and her father claims she's away on holiday. Rob is in danger and desperate to get the police to believe him.

The essential structure of this book is very similar to his last (Deadline) but it's a better book. Kernick's books usually fall away at the end, but this one stays strong throughout, incorporating a stunning twist towards the end that is most unusual for this genre.

The book is what it is: if you want a fast-paced, undemanding escapist read, it's perfect.

However I felt that the action was unnecessarily fast and improbable: to the point that on at least two occasions I wondered if I was reading a dream sequence. The story is also let down by silly inconsistencies and improbabilities, from the minor (Rob loses his mobile phone but the next morning receives a phone call when he's out for a walk) to the more significant: Why would the ruthless villain not have killed Rob when he got the chance, rather than threatening him and letting him go? Jenny told Rob that she had been on a work trip the week before, but later it seemed that she was unemployed. Did she lie and if so, why?

While the book features the police officers who have made appearances in previous Kernick novels (Mike Bolt, his offsider Mo and Tina Boyd), their character development from book to book has been negligible.

I read this book on holiday and I enjoyed it very much, but its flaws anchor it in the 3 star territory for me.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse