4.0 out of 5 stars If you love gossip and scandal the you will love this!!
Published on 2 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars This review is for the DVD.
The review is for the DVD. For some reason Amazon won't accept my DVD review!!!

I was really excited when I got this DVD, and became sorely disappointed after I watched it.
Good points: The music at the start is sexy (just perfect), and the music played when Rannaldini arrives in his Mercedes is diabolically good.
Bad points: Half the story is...
Published on 16 July 2007 by Core Energetics

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love gossip and scandal the you will love this!!, 2 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I have read the books previous to The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous and found that this fitted in nicely with those. I didnt, however, surpass them in anyway at all. In Riders you loathe Rupert and the way he treats people but by the time you have finished Rivals you realise how great he is; in Polo you just love him more. There are so many characters in the previous three that you really like or dislike so much that they make a huge impact all the way through the novels... Rupert for being so hideous in the first but changing, Taggie who is utterly lovable and Helen who is totally irritating all the way through; but I didnt feel that way about any characters in the book there wasnt anyone that made a huge impact on me in the way the previous books had. I found Lysander quite irritating at times, he really annoying in the way he falls in love three time in the space of a about 600 pages, Kitty is so wet.... you just want to scream LEAVE HIM!! the whole time, and the rest of the cast are so concerend with their looks is ridiculous, i dont think there is one normal sized, normal looking person in the whole of Paradise!
Jilly Cooper's novels are absolutly absorbing, all of them are (i have read Appassionata and am half way through Score! at the moment), but I do find with TMWMHJ that it is too flitty and the story is not a patch on the rest. i do recommend it though as it fits very well with the rest of the novels. It is best to read them in order though as you get to know the characters quite well and when there names are dropped in the next book you find yourself smiling at them getting on so well.
Keep up the good work Jilly, your novels have kept me entertained for weeks now. They are so great you find yourself constantly saying 'Just one more chapter and the lights definatly going off!!'

5.0 out of 5 stars a giddy romp of pure escapism - delightful!, 29 April 2002
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
'The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous' is typical Jilly Cooper. It made laugh, cry, and will undoubtedly leave you wanting more. I have read it many times, and it remains a firm favourite. The tale gallops along, with noble horses, faithful dogs, beautiful women, and a hero to die for! Once agin, we are transported into a world that most of us can only imagine, moving in royal circles, with rock stars, composers, and beautiful people. In the centre of all this decadence, is our hero, Lysander Hawkley, a rogue with a heart of gold. This is a man who just can't say no - to women, wine, horses, and of course, money. I absolutely loved this book, and I recommend it heartily. Well done Jilly!

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite read, 20 Jun 2002
As an avid Jilly reader, The Man who Made Husbands Jealous has kept me entertained time & time again. Whilst still keeping us upto date with our old favourites like Rupert & Taggie, Jilly introduces us to some delicious new characters. Lysander Hawkley so obviously a man that any women would want to meet, surpassing even Rupert Campbell-Black, with his love of the opposite sex. Rannaldini the most fascinatingly evil character will surely run on & on, he obviously has a major story to tell.
All the female characters are well drawn too. Georgie Maguire, loved by fans worldwide but with as many problems & insecurities as any other women. Kitty Rannaldini downtrodden but so kind, I was longing for her well deserved happy ending. Hermione Harefields character just kept me laughing all the way through the story. Flora Seymour the teenager from hell & so real. A few minor gripes with the seemingly pointless Rachel Levistky character but overall this is Jilly Cooper at her absolute best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lysander leaves lasting impression.., 19 Nov 2007
The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous probably does not follow the same formula as the three previous novels as it is not based around a particular subject- i.e. Polo, TV, Showjumping. If you tried to base it around anything, it would probably be classical music, but that is more what Score! is about. This does not defect from a hilarious tale of jealousy, adultery and sheer romance.

The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous tells the tale of twenty-two year old Lysander Hawkley, a ravishing young man who breaks hearts unintentionally and is not your typical Jilly Cooper ladies' man, in the sense that he actually shows compassion to everything and is genuinely nice to animals as well as people. Distraught after the death of his mother, whom he adored, he sinks deeper into promiscuity (and debt), much to the disapproval of his father, David.

So his fat best friend, Ferdie, comes up with an idea- why not pay off his debt and do something that comes naturally to him? Why not get paid to look after cheating husbands' wives, pretend to bed them and make their husbands jealous whilst getting paid a HUGE fee for it. One rule however : DO NOT SLEEP WITH THE WIVES. Lysander decides to ignore this rule.

The business runs smoothly, with Ferdie taking care of the more technical side and the stunning Lysander doing marvellously well at keeping Paradise's husbands interested in their wives. However, it is not all smooth sailing, and Lysander finds love and adultery in all the most unexpected places...

This book marks the return of Rupert and Taggie Campbell-Black, as well as a brand new legacy of characters, such as Ranaldinni (who becomes a main character in the next three books) as well as his wife Kitty and Flora Seymour.

This book is fantastic, gripping from start to finish aswell as a real page turner, and while it is not challenging, the plot is covered extremely well and it is sheerly sex in a book. If there was such a thing as 10 stars, this book would get it. If you enjoy bonkbusters, this is the book for you, with plenty of sex laced with romance and a gripping story. Being thirteen (I am now fourteen) when I first read it really does not detract from the story, and I was probably too young but Jilly Cooper is Queen of the Chicklit.

3.0 out of 5 stars This review is for the DVD., 16 July 2007
The review is for the DVD. For some reason Amazon won't accept my DVD review!!!

Bad points: Half the story is missing. Lysander is not impossibly handsome, there is no mention of Rupert and Taggie, nothing about Arthur and the race, Ferdie falls in love with Flora (and not with Natasha as in the book), Guy is horribly old and very ugly, and the Maestro, Rannaldini, who is supposed to be short and macho, looks very effeminate in this film. The Valhalla concert- one of the high points in the books- looked like another (albeit slightly sophisticated) garden party. Boris was supposed to struggle through an enormously complex piece of music, with the orchestra helping him at first. There is none of it here.
Kitty is supposed to be a dear child, and simply kind (like Taggie). Here she is a cauldron of confused emotions. The tennis match was simply laughable. It's supposed to be a high-powered match, but what we see is "Welcome to your first tennis lesson" sort of scene. The matches were unbearably dull.

I appreciate the technical difficulties in producing such a complex film, but if one can't do it properly, one shouldn't even attempt it. I would love to give it a higher rating, but with so many flaws, that simply wasn't possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gleeful romp on audiotape, 2 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Reader Samuel West's performance exactly suits the playful, witty text by Jilly Cooper. Every character's voice is distinctive--it's easy to forget that you're listening to only one actor--and the subtle comic edge to his delivery draws the listener in, as if a friend were murmuring gossip in her ear. Blissfully seductive, malicious gossip: philandering husbands, philandering wives, a hissable villain, an unlikely heroine, a charming puppyish hero. A raunchy comedy with warmth, deftly spoken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Lysander!!, 23 Mar 2008
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Another winner from Jilly!! This is a bonk-buster to die for!! Lysander Hawkley, the answer to a womans' prayer!! He is a lothario, kind, sexy, good-looking, confident, needy, a best friend, a lover, and, ultimately, a hero. He keeps wandering husbands in check, and neglected wives in ecstasy!! He should be available on prescription! He is a competitor to Rupert Campbell-Black in the heart-throb stakes, being a nicer person than Rupert, but not having as much charisma. Throw in Rannaldini, the malevolent maestro
Hermione Harefield, the sex-crazed diva, a female rock singer, musicians, schoolgirls, amazing horses and lovely dogs, and its' a recipe for a fabulous read!! More please.

3.0 out of 5 stars It wouldn't make your husbands jealous!, 3 May 2007
I found this novel to be poor compared to the other books in the series. I found the ending the most disappointing, as it just simply wasn't believable. I know that escapism is the point of the novels but the relationship between Lysander and Kitty was just too far-fetched. We all hope that one day a gorgeous charming man would fall madly in love with us and rescue us from our mundane existances but the two characters seemed too incompatable and threfore ridiculous. Do read just to end the series, but not one of Jilly's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jilly, Rupert and the horses at their best!, 19 Nov 2000
angel8388@yahoo.com (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
Admittedly this was the first book of Jilly's I read but it still remains my firm favourite after reading the whole series. Lysander will capture your heart and as always the horses and dogs in the book are sometimes larger than the human characters and sweethearts all of them. Rupert returns once more for those who've read Riders, Rivals and Polo and he's his total dashing self as per usual. Hearing the book on tape just polished the whole thing off for me. I love the book, I love the tape, I love Lysander and Rupert!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book I will never tire of re-reading., 29 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Although I loved Jilly Cooper romances as a teenager I somehow never got around to reading Riders, Rivals etc, until I happily came across TMWMHJ in a secondhand bookshop (how could anyone part with it?) I have since devoured everything else by Jilly that I can get my hands on. TMWMHJ and Rivals are the most enjoyable works of fiction I have ever read - Jilly Cooper creates a world you will want to escape into time and time again.

The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous
The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous by Jilly Cooper OBE (Paperback - 7 May 2007)