4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Jilly
Published on 11 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars What? No Maestro?
Published on 7 Jun 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Jilly, 11 Jan 2000
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
I couldn't wait to read "Score" when it came out and as usual it was a great read and impossible to put down. I guessed the murderer early on but still found the last scenes pretty scary. It was excellent catching up with so many of the characters from the early books, I particularly liked seeing the Lovell family making an appearance. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I have heard that Jilly is writing another book in the series. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! The only problem I had with "Score" was that not enough space was given to the romances between the main characters, and a bit too much to the escapades of the various opera singers. I hope her next book will be more in the style of Riders and Polo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jilly Cooper remains on form!, 7 Sep 1999
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
Score! the new novel by Jilly Cooper manages to capture the imagery of her previous novels in her own unique style. This time,the reader is faced with all their favourite Jilly Cooper characters from 'Riders' onwards,making special guest appearances in a firmly tongue in cheek murder mystery! The novel weaves and winds around the main plot of the filming of 'Don Carlos' with the help of new characters and those that are already so popular with Jilly Cooper fans. Score! is entertaining and often surprising with it's sub-plots of music, murder,humorous relationships and ghostly goings on. It comes highly recommended as a holiday read and for those die hard Jilly Cooper fans. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic: Jilly Cooper's best novel yet!, 24 Oct 2001
By A Customer
"Score" continues telling the story of the characters already established in "Riders", "Polo", "Rivals" and "The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous" but once again in a different setting. The minor character of Rannaldini takes centre stage here as an egotistical, tyrannical conductor, trying to produce a film of the opera Don Carlos with his godson Tristan. However, things turn sour when Rannaldini is murdered: whodunnit?
Cooper appears unfazed by the new task of a detective novel and manages to incorporate all the best ingredients of a whodunnit into "Score!". The final twist is masterful and I certainly did not see it coming. Her characters are as ever lovable and fun, and it is nice to see the return of such classic characters as Rupert Campbell Black and his now 19 year old daughter Tabitha.
This book is certainly worth reading. Cooper's books are unashamedly trashy, yet she still manages to have fun with the characters and story: and yes, there IS a story, something often unheard of in books of this ilk. "Score!" shows that there is quite an accomplished writer hidden under that reputation: read this book, and I'm sure you'll agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Cooper - At her best yet!, 26 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Score! (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Jilly Coopers books, and I admit, I was a little worried when I first picked up this book! I mean, murder and sex mixed together? How wrong I was! Having got into the story, I realised what a masterpiece this book was! It's funny yet sad, full of the usual gossip and sex with a twist that will have you wandering round your house say, 'I don't believe it!'. I am completly hooked! I even took this book to hospital when I was in labour! Say no more! Read it and see!

3.0 out of 5 stars What? No Maestro?, 7 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Score! (Paperback)
Being an ardent Cooper fan, along with the millions of other women out there desperate for a bit of idle escapism, I thought I would see off the awful Rannaldini and catch up on the rest of Rutminster in her new bonkbuster - Score! However, I have to agree that reading it is rather like being stuck in traffic: frustrating, hot and very very boring. There was no plotline, no engaging characters (apart from our Rupert, the stallion of the south) and none of the usual hilarious antics. Having said that though, you would be hard pushed to find anything less taxing for two weeks in the sun, and as something to keep the sun off, its not bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jilly's still rocking, 9 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I adore Jilly Cooper, I long to be in one of her books, the gorgeous but vunerable heroine who always ends up with the slightly ugly but 'all man' hero (who she invariably hates in the early chapters). It ain't going to happen so I must live vocariously through her pages over and over again (you have to read these repeatedly, preferably with cheesecake and tea and huge comfotable sofa and complete peace and quite. One should indulge themselves with these books!) My poor boyfriend has finally snapped and threatened to leave me if I buy one more, but as I told him quite forcibly, Jilly would win hands down over him! I'm actually in the progress of reading this one, I'm more of an Emily/Bella/Harriet/Octavia etc fan but I did adore Riders and Polo so thought I'd give the new one a bash. I am yet to be disappointed, it's delightful and I simply cannot put it down. I've fallen in love with all the offspring of the past novels and am gripped by the murder angle. So if you're reading this review you're either a long term Jilly fan or a new and aspiring addict. Either way this will give you all you desire even if your boyfriend can't and you couldn't go wrong with picking any of the titles by Ms Cooper. Go girl you're still fabulous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not classic Jilly, 14 July 1999
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
Although I found it very difficult to put this book down, it wasn't up to par with Jilly's earlier books in the series. Murder-mystery is definitely not Jilly's forte, and the ghost-stuff was not creepy, but irritating in that it wasn't very convincing. I enjoyed the characterisation, but found Tristan and Lucy to be a bit flat ... they lacked the intensity and sparkle of some of Jilly's other main protagonists, i.e., Perdita and Luke, Abby and Viking, and of course, Rupert and Taggie. The ending was something of a disappointment; not only did I find it incredulous and unbelievable that the murderer could have killed the victim as happened (why didn't the victim, whose strength was FAR superior to the killer's, fight the murderer off?) but the ending itself was corny and overly dramatic, with the murderer resorting to the tired old cliche of "revealing all" before killing the heroine, and "cackling with mad laughter" all the way. Puh-lease... I expected more, but then, I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to Jilly. A satisfying, feel-good ending would have compelled me to give the book five crowns, but still, Jilly at her not-so-best is still a marvelous read, any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 May 1999
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
I waited with anticipation for this book and when it arrived I could barely contain my excitement. The thickness of the book promised me more of the Jilly Cooper magic and I was not disappointed. The first chapter gave a good introduction to what we have missed and an intro to the new characters and plot. It was nice to see old characters like Rupert Campbell-Black and Taggie and to catch up on their exploits. The humour is very apparent and I find myself laughing out loud at regular intervals - typical Jilly style. The murder is a different angle and is handled well.
My advice is to take a few days off work, stock up on the vodka and settle down with this novel and read it one go - it is too un-putdownable to read it any other way than all in one go! ENJOY.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet and histrionic romp, 16 Nov 1999
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
Score! was a dashing book and so typically Jilly Cooper. Lucy was a nice enough heroine but not quite as exciting as her previous heroines, my favourite being Fen Maxwell from Riders. As for Tristan, I thought he was rather thick for falling for the bratty Tabitha C-B. I like Rupert but I wouldn't want him to dominate the story like he did in Riders. Some of the characters are horrible though and I would like to see more of the older characters from her other books. Score! is not as enjoyable as T.M.W.M.H.J but is still a wonderful, mad romp. However, I would like to see more of Lysander and Kitty Hawkley, who are sadly neglected in Cooper's subsequent novels. In general, Score! is a lovely book and one of my favourites and I hope her next novel will be just as wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first ever CAN-put-down Cooper (sob,sniff!), 11 Sep 1999
This review is from: Score! (Hardcover)
This is not your usual Jilly fare. Surprisingly, the whodunnit 'genre' works reasonably well within Jilly's long term character exposition because, lets face it, King Rat Rannaldini gets everything he deserved!! However, while this rolling and humourous storyline will satisfy die hard 'Cooperites' desperate for their next installment, it is a far cry from her classics such as Rivals and Riders. The trend here is the ever increasing 'brattishness' of the characters - Little Cosmo - yuk...Tabitha C-B - yuk... We true Jilly fans want a return to characters with more smouldering depth - Jake Lovell and Ricky France Lynch for example. Come on Jilly, leave this tantrum laden arty nonsense and let us romp around in the hay again.

Score!
Score! by Jilly Cooper OBE (Paperback - 7 May 2007)
7.19