on 16 October 2007
Nowhere on the description of this audiobook on Amazon is there any mention of the fact that it is abridged and is not in fact a narration of the book as in, for example, Harry Potter, but essentially only a summary, being only 4 cds long. The reading by Tony Robinson is superb, but I would recommend anybody who wants the proper full version to buy the unabridged version (Stephen Briggs, Harper Audio) for another 8 US dollars.
Basically a great book was ruined by the felling of having been totally ripped off: Amazon - please show clearly when an audiobook is abridged or risk your customers feeling conned!
on 24 July 2012
There is a return of Moist von Lipwig who ran the Post Office, remember him? If not then buy that book first. This one will make a lot more sense then. I like this more than Going Postal, just about. I own all Mr Pratchetts books. I am near to owning all the Audio versions too. These abridgements by Tony Robinson make me almost forgive him for Time Team and his endless banality of "we've only got three days". We might miss something really important. The point is that if you want to hear a story, these CD's are great. They make you want to stay awake and play another book, or they make you want to dig the book out and read it in whole.
on 10 June 2010
Terry Pratchett at his best. The whole family love to listen to these books on a long journey in the car and the time just disappears. Older children can relate to these books on one level while us adults with a more critical understanding of power see different facets of the same story. Some of the humourous inuendo's are lost in the audio books but Tony Robinson's characturisations are a joy to behold. It is amazing how much the author can poke fun at our own monatory system and yet relate it to a fantasy world quite unlike our own. If you enjoy intellegent writing and have a warped sense of houmour you will love this book.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 October 2007
I have been a fan of the great TP for a long time and a fan of the audio books of discworld. I should declare now that I prefer Tony Robinson to the other readers, but he only does the abridged versions which is a real shame and a loss to the unabridged versions.

The full version of this book is available but only at a much more expensive price for the multi disc version. The one disc MP3 version is available but there may be a playing problem if you want to listen to them as you travel and you don't have an MP3 compatable player. Also on the tracks that have more than ten sections it starts on section 10 instead of section 1, and the announcement of the "chapter tasters" is truly annoying - but that's irrelevant to this disc set.

Making money is not one of Mr Pratchett's best works - in fact it appeared rushed to cash in on the run on the Northern Rock Bank, not his usual smooth work.

I have to say I was disappointed on first reading the book, I then listened to my discs and I liked the book more. There's stomething about a listening to someone reading me a story that takes me back to a less stressful time (that Jackanory moment when I was a child and the troubles of the world were far, far away).

It always seems to me that Tony Robinson (unlike Nigel Planer who read the earlier unabridged works) must be a discworld fan - his character vocalisations are special, his emphasis on certain words and phrases shows that he 'gets' the Pratchett humour (again, unlike the awful monotone Nigel Planer, who alternated between his normal voice and a very bat scouse accent for characters). Overall listening to Tony Robinson reading Discworld is a pleasure.

This story is not going to rank in my top twenty discworld stories but it isn't at the bottom of the list either.

It could be that the new Moist book came too soon on top of the Going Postal, that it would have been better if Mr Pratchett had returned to the Watch, or the Witches, or UU's faculty and Rincewind, or even Death, before moving back to Moist so quickly. Yet, for all its faults and similiarities to Going Postal, the Making Money story is a good one.

I wish that Corgi Audio would decide that Discworld fans are worth the extra time and effort of unabridged, Robinson read, discworld audio books.
on 10 January 2011
Pratchett just keeps upping his game, wonderfully put together and delivered with style. I'm always a little worried I won't have the same love of a new Discworld character as I already have for the ones I've known for years but my worry is always out of place. Love this book.
on 1 May 2012
No not what it says - but true Terry Pratchett, what a wonderful story from a great man, thank goodness he is still able to write , I love his books and he is a fantastic role model.
on 22 December 2014
Love Pratchett, this is one of his best. With the versatile Tony Robinson doing another excellent job of storytelling.
on 22 July 2014
lovely book. has some interesting comments about the banking system
on 18 June 2016
another fantastic story and Tony Robinson is excellant
on 11 February 2016
Just as good as we expected. Thank you