5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read his books on public transport!
Published on 11 Jun 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book by Deric Longden
I enjoyed this book by Deric Longden. Deric is very good at describing so I could imagine him walking in Greenhead Park and I could also imagine his attempts to get the piano up the stairs.

Deric's attempts to find Aileen either in the chemist or in other shops brought a smile to my face as no sooner he asked someone they said "she was here a minute ago"...
Published on 27 July 2008 by Andy Capp

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read his books on public transport!, 11 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This was the first book of Deric's that I read and realised that I had found a treasure. The tales of losing his car, wandering in and out of Marks and Spencer, than back again to pay for a sandwich, and the emergency stop to test his seat belt, making the lorry travelling behind him almost jacknife, had me crying! I was doubled up on the sofa, unable to breathe, unable to read any further until the laughter in me had calmed down. I especially loved the sections where he followed Aileen to the shops then couldn't find her in the obvious places. I have since read and loved all of Deric's books and look forward to more of the same. 5 stars? No, 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange and wonderful, 9 Aug 2004
'I'm a stranger here myself' is another account of Deric Longden's eventful daily life.This time, not only are his cats talking to him, but he also has some fairly deep and meaningful arguments with his Brain. Another book guaranteed to make you choke as you try not to laugh aloud on public transport, on the beach or in the hospital waiting room. This book has been round the family several times, and appeals to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The crazy cat capers continue...in Huddersfield!, 15 Feb 2003
Having read the first three of Deric Longden's books, I was wondering how the series would find a way to continue, and still be as funny. I need not have worried of course; I'm A Stranger Here Myself is just as delightful as the rest.
Deciding he wants to be the next Peter Mayle, he sets about writing A Year In Huddersfield, in an attempt to write another best selling book. But as he includes his thoughts and views on local life, life in the home continually gets in the way, until Thermal, Tigger, Arthur and Frink once again take over!
This really is a lovely read, just like the three books before it, and I recommend it to you all!

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book by Deric Longden, 27 July 2008
This review is from: I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Paperback)

I think Deric's devotion to Aileen is very strong not only in this book but in others and they obviously are a great team.

All the best to Deric and Aileen and I really enjoyed the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Longden manages to create 'something' from 'nothing'..., 14 Jun 2002
Gareth Leaney (Matlock,, Derbyshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Simple, everyday occurences are difficult to fashion into an engaging story, yet Deric Longden obviously has a skill for making his everyday life interesting to complete strangers (such as myself). 'I'm A Stranger Here Myself' is no exception. He gives us a window onto his life which he presents with touching honesty, and he seems to care little about his own dignity. Though there is a general theme of describing the events of his working life, I found that the 'loose' nature of this theme means the book can be picked up and enjoyed without worrying too much about what has happened previously. The anecdotes and memories in the book mix happy and sad in just the right amounts, and what is left is an easy-going, amusing read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A peep into Deric Longden's life, 22 Mar 2010
D. M. Trowsdale (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Paperback)
Having recently been introduced to Deric Longden's writings, I find them very witty. His world view is full of the ordinary day to day incidents. If we all opened our eyes more and looked at the world as he does, the world might be a happier place!
Humour is very hard to write, but he is a master at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A read to lift your spirits, 15 July 2008
Cora "Cora" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, surprised to find this book in the cat section of my library instead of the autobiographies. It was a great read and had me laughing out loud. Warmth of character and an enthusiastic love of life flowed from the pages. Cat books can be difficult to find but worth the search. The Land Beyond the Green Fields

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will make you cry with laughter, 27 Oct 2007
S. Wafford (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Paperback)
Once again Deric Longden has managed to write another fantastic book about the most normal and mundane routines in everyday life. He is gifted in writing detailed stories about subjects and events that most other people would never notice.

Without spoiling the book, I will just mention that the two funniest parts for me are about a man he meets in a shop and a shopping trip where Deric loses his car.

What you will gain from reading this book is a sense that happiness is not about success and money, but more about being yourself and accepting your faults and assets!

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish he was my neighbour!!!, 31 July 1999
By A Customer
Being a subscriber to Your Cat magazine, I did expect to be reading more stories about Thermal, Little Chap, William and Tigger, but it would appear that two of the afore mentioned cats have not yet shown up for tea!! I read with interest about Aileen, and feel that I would know her should I be fortunate to bump into her in the local supermarket, hopefully she would be accompained by Deric, giving the vocalised tour of the toilet roll aisle! Deric has the most incredible sense of insanity, in the nicest possible way of course, that makes you feel that your not alone with your one sided conversations with a walking footstool, those with large cats will understand!!! Thank you Deric for giving Chaz, Morris, Boris, Monkey, Patchrick and myself a story to remember for the days when my little brats are too lazy to entertain me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: I'm A Stranger Here Myself (Paperback)
Another funny book from a great writer.
He brings the cats to life as you see your cat in the story.
A must to buy.

I'm A Stranger Here Myself
I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Deric Longden (Paperback - 8 May 2007)
6.99