5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form.
Having read all of McNab's fictional works I have noticed that a couple of books have slightly missed the mark (not that I didn't enjoy them) however this is a definate return to form for Andy McNab. The last book "Aggressor" saw the style of story that I had come to love return but "Recoil" improved on this story dramatically.

I found it an enjoyable read and...
Published on 5 Mar 2007 by A. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars McNab again, but no bad thing.
I've read the majority of the McNab production line and this is more of the same. The question isn't really whether this book is any good, but more, do you enjoy McNab books?

Published on 9 Aug 2008 by J. Dyson

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form., 5 Mar 2007
A. Thomas (Crewe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)

I found it an enjoyable read and could not out the book down. As a result I finished the book in a matter of days (which is phenomenally fast for me). The story revolves around the relationship between characters that have been established in the previous book and the usual desperation of Nick Stone to complete a task in an area that breeds danger (usually at the cost of a supporting character's life). Recently this story has seemed slow and stinted but somehow McNab has managed to freshen the formula and produced a book that flows well and keeps the reader engaged in the story.

In my opinion this is McNab's best work since "Dark Winter" although intermediatary books have only shown a slight decrease in quality which mainly centers around the flow of the plot rather than the story itself. Some reviewers believe this is McNab repeating the same formula every time and to a degree this is true, however this is not a piece of grand literature and does not pretend to be either it is a simple story that is simply to be enjoyed (he does make a little tweak to the formula in this book but we will have to wait and see how things pan out for Nick Stone).

Well worth the money I spent and I look forward to the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one!, 12 April 2007
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
Well McNab has done it again and produced another fast-paced action story. Yes he does follow a familiar plot but I don't think that's a bad thing - it's the reason why I like his books! Since I have read all his previous Nick Stone stories I am kinda interested in how his life pans out as well as the action that goes on. So in that respect I found the ending quite sad...

As mentioned in one review, this is not pretending to be a literary masterpiece - it's a McNab novel! The last half is certainly very gripping, especially if you've already read/seen Black Hawk Down - you can kinda imagine what he's describing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 12 Nov 2006
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
A very different twist is put on the average thriller with this novel. I loved the intellect involved in the prose and the characters were great. This is by far McNab's best piece of writing. If you like smart thrillers this is a great read along with any of his other novels and Dead Scare and Speak No Evil by David Demello, great reads for the upcoming holiday season. You will be unable to put any down.

3.0 out of 5 stars McNab again, but no bad thing., 9 Aug 2008
J. Dyson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recoil: (Nick Stone Book 9) (Mass Market Paperback)

It tells a story of kids forced into fighting in Africa, scatters in a few morals, some revenge and a love interest. Standard fodder for McNab. The tale is fairly slow to start and there are some fairly obvious appearances later in the story, you can see them coming and it appears to be a trade off between continuity in the series of Stone tales and making the book stand on it's own merits.

If you like McNab, you'll like this, guns, violence and enough special forces references for armchair action fans. If you are new to McNab it's an engaging enough thriller with some page turning action / suspense sequences.

I've only given it three stars as whilst it's a readable story, it doesn't really break the mould and the stories are becoming a bit manufactured for my liking.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first McNab read - gripping stuff!, 7 April 2007
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
This is the first book I've read by Andy McNab (and my first Amazon review!) and I really look forward to reading the next one - Dark Winter seems a good choice. The author seems to have a cult-like following and I can see why. Reading other reviews the main character Nick Stone has obviously featured in a lot of his other work however you do not need to have read any of the author's earlier pieces to follow Recoil. The main character is an ex-special forces agent/soldier who follows on a trail behind the woman he loves (haven't we all!) to one of the most dangerous places in the world - DRC which really opens your eyes to the type of stuff going on in the wrold today and without giving too much away the way kids so young they still need nappies are sent to fight.

The author describes some of the things in such great detail that you actually feel like you are there. I guess we all (especially blokes) have some desire to have a bit of Nick Stone in us - a mortal superhero.

Anyway well worth the read - four stars as I thought it took little long to get to the main bit of the book but neverthe less I admire the detail the author used.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced action, 18 Jan 2014
Recoil: fast paced thriller that leaves you needing to take a break at the end. You feel like you were there alongside the main characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from McNab, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
What I love about McNab's writing is that his plots are always credible with a good mix of characters from the helpless to the evil. Recoil is no different and in it McNab delivers a compelling and believable story with the normal twists and turns. I wondered how he would develop the Nick Stone character and again he has continued to improve on the dark and disturbed front man. Although maybe not his best work (Dark Winter will take some beating!), this is still a great McNab novel and certainly in his top three.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best but still worth buying, 26 Jan 2007
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
The thing with Andy McNab is, you know what he is talking about has probably really happened to him at some point in his life. He is really good at putting a story together and keeps pulling you in deeper with the turn of every page. These books are my passion, far away places, cloak and dagger I love it. He gives away alsorts of tricks of the trade too. This particular one (Recoil) isn't necessarily his best but it is fiction and Bravo Two Zero will always take some beating. In my opinion its a must buy, A typical 'train journey' book. Gliding along the tracks on a dark rainy night being rocked gently by the movement of the train as the pages of the book pull you into Andy's world, bloody marvellous. Order it now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr McNab delivers ..., 23 Jan 2007
Roy Brookes "roybrookes" (Hamburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
Mr McNab delivers exactly what you expect from him - superb tradecraft, lots of action and some thoughtfulness along the way. You either love him or you hate him. Personally I buy every one of his books as soon as it appears (usually in hardback) although I would not touch a Chris Ryan book. I have now introduced my grilfriend to Andy McNab and she is reading Bravo Two Zero in German. She is impressed (and she is an ex-sergeant and munitions expert in the Bundeswehr so she has some idea).

4.0 out of 5 stars return to top form for McNab, 8 Jan 2007
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Recoil (Hardcover)
The latest in McNab's thrillers is one of his better ones. This again features the character Nick Stone who, I have to confess, I was getting fed up with in his previous outings. To me, the character had so much baggage as to be annoying but in this the story is a lot less complicated. Here Stone tracks down a girlfriend to Africa and goes out there to bring her back as the place erupts into war. Unsurprisingly Stone gets involved in the conflict which ends up a little like the defence of the Alimo. For once we see Stone's skills in action in a violent and fast paced thriller and less of the tedious other stuff. So this is good and if you have enjoyed McNabs previous stuff, I have no hesitation in suggesting you will like this one too.

Recoil: (Nick Stone Book 9)
Recoil: (Nick Stone Book 9) by Andy McNab (Mass Market Paperback - 18 Jun 2007)
6.20